I can't get rid of something on my computer. The first time I go online each day I an sent to this site I believe is called JetSeeker. It freezes up my computer and I have to ctrl/alt/delete in order to continue. Also, sometimes when I'm clicking to a site, usually one that's in my favorites, I get a loud pop-up box telling me I can't visit this sight . Adaware didn't work in getting rid of these issues. What can I do? Thanks.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Get the domain name your redirect to and post the Whois here. Then report that domain to the FTC. Next see if the spam google and report them there. If you want you can markdown the sleezy merchants adopting this browser terrorist. Then get a rope and drap the idiot through 2 miles of briar bushes.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

What can I do to get this s_ _t off my computer?

I am being redirected to http://www.searchxl.com. Last time I was redirected to jetseeker.com. I need Help.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not a parasiteware expert, but hopefully this will be of help:

I went to that site, and at the bottom there's a link that says "Upgrade your Search Page Install Here." There's also an uninstall link below it, but I don't trust the "uninstall" link of a driveby parasite.

So, I checked where the link leads to. It goes to a file called"search_install.reg". I typed "search_install.reg" into Google and this is one of the pages it returned:

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/s/sp_hijacker.asp

There are instructions to remove it manually if you don't want to get their removal-ware. I don't know if their removal-ware is any good, I mainly picked that link because it specifically mentioned "search_install.reg" and didn't seem to be one of the places distributing it (which also come up in the Google listings under that term).

BE CAREFUL if you Google for it, that you don't end up clicking one of the links that go directly to the parasiteware itself (there are a few of these in the listings), since sometimes clicking links directly to executable files will allow them to download.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I also forgot to mention that I get a sidebar that opens up in my browser when I load it for the first time of the day. The links in the sidebar take me to the searchxl.com sites.

I really don't want to start deleting files manually to gety rid of this parasite or whatever it is. What freeware program is available to get this bug off my pissed off back. Thanks for any help.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Another ethical foreigner...

Registrant Contact:
    NA
    Asher Nahmias (NA)
    NA
    Fax:
    TA-DOAR: 2273
    Ashdod, il 77122
    Ashdod, il 77122
    IL

Administrative Contact:
    NA
    Asher Nahmias (NA)
    NA
    Fax:
    Ashdod, il 77122
    Ashdod, il 77122
    IL

Technical Contact:
    NA
    Asher Nahmias (webmaster@zeropopup.com)
    +972-52-202736
    Fax:
    Ashdod, il 77122
    Ashdod, il 77122
    IL

Billing Contact:
    NA
    Asher Nahmias (NA)
    NA
    Fax:
    Ashdod, il 77122
    Ashdod, il 77122
    IL

Name Servers:
    dns1.name-services.com
    dns2.name-services.com
    dns3.name-services.com
    dns4.name-services.com
    dns5.name-services.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I really don't want to start deleting files manually to gety rid of this parasite or whatever it is. What freeware program is available to get this bug off my pissed off back. Thanks for any help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One free one I remember being mentioned around here, besides AdAware, is:

Spybot Search & Destroy ("Donationware"--make a donation if you want to)

I can't guarantee that it'll kill your bug, but it's worth a shot...

PS if the baddie has changed your homepage on you, you'll probably have to change it back to what you want (via your browser settings) once you delete the unwanted program.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Found some software called Bazooka at http://wwwkephyr.com. Worked well to find the parasites in my machine and gave easy to understand directions on how to get them out. Hopefully this is the end of my headaches for a while.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread