A friend of mine had a problem with a homepage hijacker script.

I've had lots of friends and contacts e-mail me about similar type stuff, and I always sent them to www.PCHell or Gladiator Security Forums.

I decided to go on an Internet quest to discover a method that prevents these Active X Drive By Downloads...And I found it!

Go to and get the minimal download.

Description: "Tired of all that Spyware and Adware crap being installed by ActiveX ?
    But don't want to lose out on functionality?

We have created a system that blocks all known "bad" ActiveX controls from running inside Internet Explorer by setting the "Kill bit".

When a page tries to install a component from our list, it will fail.
    When a page tries to use a component from our list that was already present on your system, it will fail too!

Other, "friendly" components are not affected."

I tried it, and had no problems with my system restarting or running. (XP Pro) I'm adding this registry fix to my "Security CD" I carry with me to fix computer problems.

It's comforting to know that I can go where I want on the Internet, and not have to worry about any Active-X crap.

Plus, the price is right. It's F*R*E*E*
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    even better is just going to computer settings and setting them to prompt to accept before anyone can run an activex
    Sure you get more pops asking if its ok to, but by far the most effective way and a not any major annoyance to have to deal with

If yon't know who or what they are about just say no if Ok answer yes...simple enough
    At least you have all the control vs depending on this download to automatically "know" which may or may not be safe

Walleye -

The main browser I use is called Avant (google for it, forgot the url) and is a IE knockoff.
    The main difference is tools that let you block ads, pop-ups, active-X, sounds, Flash, ect.

Makes my browsing experience much easier and faster.

Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread