Any suggestions to boost affiliates' sales?
    hello everyone, I'm an affiliate manager, without much experience. I've seen my affiliate sales dropping in the past months. Though I've tried to boost affiliates' sales, like doing a contest, offering higher discount coupons, keeping in touch with affiliates, the sales still dropping. I hav no idea now what can I do to stimulate the sales.
    can any body help? Thanks.

Are sales overall dropping? Did you change terms of service? Do you have high reversal rates?
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Many different factors can be contributing and Greg has mentioned a couple. Hard to say without knowing much about your affiliate program or your business but is seasonality a factor? Does the drop in affiliate sales mirror sales patterns/trends in any other channel or on the business as a whole? Did you consider where the majority of your sales were coming from prior to the drop in sales and see if those affiliates who were driving that traffic are still active or if they have stopped sending traffic? Any change to conversion rates on-site? Or in the affiliate program? These can all be indicators of what may be going on. Good luck and feel free to ask if any specific questions.

Affiliate Manager
    Other than the imperative questions others asked about the health of sales overall: Have you tried surveying your affiliates to see what they might tell you when there not communicating 1-on-1? You can find out a lot that you might not know inherent such as: Your competitors are offering a better incentive so people are leaving, the commission structure was never desirable to them so you are having natural attrition, Your #'s to begin with might be hyper inflated due to just a few affiliates performing well in your program (vs. the long tail) so it might seem like things were always well, etc.

I hope this helps!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What have you done with creative for the program, same banners and links as a year ago. Are you providing information on your products for content sites? If your datafeed optimized and have you pushed it to 3rd party tool sites?

Hype stuff like contests and time-sensitive promos provide a temporary boost which only lasts for as long as you run around chasing your own tail with them. For many affiliates, things like this that they need to constantly "keep up with" create a backlog of busywork, so we tend to lean away from merchants whose primary focus is on short-term promotions.

Try looking at long-term factors that may make you more attractive to affiliates. Can you claim to have the best prices or best product selection? Do you have product choices that your competitors do not offer? Are your copywriters more creative than your competitor's, so that the potential customer feels that they can make a more informed choice than they would if they were shopping on your competitor's sites? Use these as "selling points" in promoting your program to affiliates; give them good reason to choose you over your competitors.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

7. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Are the affiliates still sending traffic but its not converting?

You might want to look at whether the merchant has made ANY changes to their website that might hurt conversion (new website design, navigation layout change, shopping cart change, etc.) If you are seeing an overall drop among affiliate sales checking the merchants website might be a good place to start.

Thank you friends. You are so kind.

The sale is dropping since New Year. I'm not sure whether it is seasonal, but maybe, as I have a good sale during Christmas.

Did you consider where the majority of your sales were coming from prior to the drop in sales and see if those affiliates who were driving that traffic are still active or if they have stopped sending traffic?
    Yes, some top affiliates of mine stopped promoting my products (software products), or not promote as they did in the past year. I have no idea how to make them continue to promote my products.

Other than the imperative questions others asked about the health of sales overall: Have you tried surveying your affiliates to see what they might tell you when there not communicating 1-on-1? You can find out a lot that you might not know inherent such as: Your competitors are offering a better incentive so people are leaving, the commission structure was never desirable to them so you are having natural attrition, Your #'s to begin with might be hyper inflated due to just a few affiliates performing well in your program (vs. the long tail) so it might seem like things were always well, etc.

I hope this helps!
    Thanks Taylor. It really helps. I haven't talked with my affiliates about such questions. Should I write them emails and ask these questions directly? I'm not sure whether they'll reply back.

What have you done with creative for the program, same banners and links as a year ago. Are you providing information on your products for content sites? If your datafeed optimized and have you pushed it to 3rd party tool sites?
    Thanks Chuck, your suggestions are always valuable. Yes, I'm still using the same promotion pages and product information as a year ago, with few changes. That can be one of the reasons.

Hype stuff like contests and time-sensitive promos provide a temporary boost which only lasts for as long as you run around chasing your own tail with them. For many affiliates, things like this that they need to constantly "keep up with" create a backlog of busywork, so we tend to lean away from merchants whose primary focus is on short-term promotions.

Try looking at long-term factors that may make you more attractive to affiliates.
    Yes, you're right. i'm doing short-period contests or promos. Affiliates don't like it? Then do you have any ideas to make affiliates promote in long term?

Are the affiliates still sending traffic but its not converting?

You might want to look at whether the merchant has made ANY changes to their website that might hurt conversion (new website design, navigation layout change, shopping cart change, etc.) If you are seeing an overall drop among affiliate sales checking the merchants website might be a good place to start.
    No, no changes have been made to websites or shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBlue View Post
    ...short-period contests or promos. Affiliates don't like it?
    Surely some affiliates are into this kind of stuff - coupon sites and some bloggers in particular - but the vast majority of those who do this for a living get tired of dealing with merchants whose promo materials/strategies force them to keep running around in circles having to keep doubling back to change links and ad copy all the time.

Then do you have any ideas to make affiliates promote in long term?
    Promote the virtues or your product or selection of products, how or why your products or selection of products is better than what the competition offers, why the customer should have a better shopping experience with you than with your competitors, etc etc etc. In other words, promote the products and services first and foremost, before promoting the promotions.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks david. It's very helpful.

So should I recommend products to affiliates directly and tell them which one to promote and how to promote?

ABW Ambassador
    So should I recommend products to affiliates directly and tell them which one to promote and how to promote?
    That's will be a good start. Pick a few of your best selling or your most competitive products and tell your affiliates why they should promote them. I personally found those newsletters are far more interesting to read then those flash sales or daily sales newsletters.

thanks mayfly. It is very useful too. I have sent many "flash sales" before . I will try to send more product recommendations.
    thanks.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread