Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Top Level Domains - Opportunity or Boondoggle
    So we have 1,300 top level domain extensions coming online this year. Is there opportunity in this development or is it just a waste of money? Here is the list:

Delegated Strings | ICANN New gTLDs

My take is that Google has devalued domain names as a ranking factor and if Bing hasn't already done so, it will soon. So if you are buying a new top level domain, you might as well buy something that can be branded.

What do other people think?

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Most, IMhO, will be worthless to purchase. Most large brands will buy niche names in order to further protect their brand.

.com is king and will remain that way.

New gTLDs / and other domain extensions are more of a money grab for ICANN than anything else.

Just look at the popularity of:

.jobs
    .aero
    .museum

to name a few...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I wonder if something like widgets.cheap would be useful at all?

I have to admit, I've got quite a few domains that I'm holding. Mostly .co domains. I just keep holding on to them, probably for no reason at all... I'm sure I pay at least $500 a year in domain renewals.

Affiliate Manager BryanAffiliates's Avatar
    I am involved in the new gTLD roll-outs, and can tell you that in my experience it really is a guessing game. For the bigger ones, they could be huge (.App, .Game, .Tickets, etc) but for the smaller ones (.Rich, .CEO) they could end up flopping. Really, there is no way to tell how they will perform until they actually roll out.

I can however give you a Top-10 list so far:

Code:
    Rank	TLD	               Domains	Daily Change	Daily Change (%)
    1 	guru	                51,350	275	                0.54%
    2	berlin	        45,942	57	                0.12%
    3	photography	32,836	196	                0.6 0%
    4	email	                23,654*	No Data	        No Data
    5	link	                22,184	161	                0.73%
    6	today	                20,663	150	                0.73%
    7	tips	                20,349	151	                0.75%
    8	company	        15,424*	No Data	        No Data
    9	technology	        13,731	85	                0.62%
    10	center	        12,918*	No Data	        No Data

I mostly agree with Convergence, especially on the point that .com will always be "it".

We've seen a good handful of these come and go over the years. Some barely saw the light of day, while .biz, .us and maybe a few others were a hot commodity for a year or so. They came, they saw, they left... and so it goes and will continue to go. I do hold the opinion that .co domains may experience a resurgence when the pool of available .com possibilities does not leave anything reasonable to choose from. I also think there is fair potential for city- and occupation-specific extensions.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    .co is going to eventually level out and then decline. Most people who bought .co are probably going to try some of these new ones, so the renewals on those won't be that high. People have many more options now so their value can only decline from here on out. Good time to dump them. Plus, you have .web coming up, that's the one that's going to do some numbers. I'm sticking with .com.

So basically it's a boondoggle, except for registries and registrars.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    .co is going to eventually level out and then decline. Most people who bought .co are probably going to try some of these new ones, so the renewals on those won't be that high.
    I thought most people registered .co in order to signify location (United Kingdom) -- .co.uk? Wouldn't the location attribution continue to be desirable?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    .co.uk is the main one used there, that's not changing. .co is actually the country code for Columbia but is considered a general type extension. I think most domainers thought they might get some typo traffic, with people leaving off the m when going to some .com. It was the only new one out at the time, they had great marketing, hence the numbers. Had like 1.6 million regs last time I checked. But that one had it's time.

10. Thanks From:

Does anyone really know how much weight Google applies to the domain extension in the SERPS.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Does anyone really know how much weight Google applies to the domain extension in the SERPS.
    None, Matt Cutts said so himself. Plus, you can simply check out the SERPS. You can see sites ranking with just about any extension. Only time I think it comes into play is geographical. Sites on/about Germany for example, .de might get a little preference.

Maybe.... but I don't put explicit trust in what comes out of Matt Cutts' mouth. I agree with the geographical bit.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

14. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    Maybe.... but I don't put explicit trust in what comes out of Matt Cutts' mouth. I agree with the geographical bit.
    Neither do I usually, but in this case he's correct. It's one of those things you can check yourself simply by doing some Google searches. The content, links etc. are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Neither do I usually, but in this case he's correct. It's one of those things you can check yourself simply by doing some Google searches. The content, links etc. are more important.
    I agree with Trust. Google can not penalize domain extensions in any way (and they don't). It would be a huge Internet faux paus that would draw a huge storm of criticism from everyone.

It is possible that they value .edu, .gov links a little more highly than other links???? That's kindof a different topic though?

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Google can not penalize domain extensions in any way (and they don't). It would be a huge Internet faux paus that would draw a huge storm of criticism from everyone.
    Ahhh, but the do, and have...

https://www.google.com/#q=google+blocks+co.cc

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Ahhh, but the do, and have...

https://www.google.com/#q=google+blocks+co.cc
    That was a subdomain owned by a company who offered them for free. Lots of spam, illegal type stuff usually ended up there. And they closed up anyway.

19. Thanks From:

It depends on your specific business.
    If you are interested in pure SEO or in flipping those domain names - you need to wait and see how it is going

If you plan to start a business with an easy to remember brand name, go for it!
    I personally do not do SEO - because this "free" traffic costs too much - especially to someone like me who knows nothing about it.... but I do understand branding! and nothing like relevant, easy to remember URL

And get rid of those .co.... I did :-) You can always buy them back when you really need them

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I'm kind of intrigued by .supply. Not so much with a lot of the other extensions, but if you are selling products at a city, state or regional level.... that's a pretty solid looking, no nonsense domain.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

22. Thanks From:

I can see people going crazy on these with EMDs considering all the good keywords are now available again at a number of new tlds. Someone mentioned devaluing of domain keywords; has anyone noticed a recent devaluation or are you refering to last year's "emd update"?
    I still see domain name being a huge help.
    (the new tlds are massively expensive though, which may dissuade the average spammer )

Very few will catch on.

Even Overstock.com tried to market O.co -

Best one is actually .uk - unfortunately, you have to have a UK address to register them (course that doesn't stop most from doing so).

We own the .co.uk extension on most of our main domains. Would like to have the .uk version. I believe, at one time, in order to get the .uk you had to own the .co.uk (or a right of first refusal type thing). Thing is all our .co.uk domains are registered in the US...

I quit registering anything but .com's quite a while ago. I still have a few .us, .biz, .net, etc. (including a 3 character .us), but just .com's going forward.

You just get too many people who will try adding a .com or changing the TLD to .com.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I picked up LosAngeles.supply, going to give that one a try. Might try some others as well. One of my favorite evenings in the domaining world was the night that all those premiums dropped for .tv a few years back. That was wicked fun trying to beat others to some good domains. I still have maybe 20 .tv domains left, and they are the favorites in my portfolio, with a few exceptions. So I am open to the new extensions, if you are focused and understand precisely what you want and why.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas A. Rice View Post
    I picked up LosAngeles.supply, going to give that one a try. Might try some others as well......
    By coincidence I was just looking at some of those - after I bought the dot-com for MyNamePhotography. I am currently just using my name for this new endeavor.

So, I could get some really cool combinations - but figured...why bother? I'm going to fully develop the descriptive one in dot com - to match my real name, my artist name and my business cards. Anything else might be "cute" - but just wouldn't serve any purpose. YMMV

I currently have way too many domains..................
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

All the .supply and .supplies I looked at were "reserved".

Auction domains, no doubt...

Great. There goes two hours of my life searching domains. Why do I do this? It's not like I'm going to birth "The Next Big Thing" like Uncle Brian is going to do in the other thread.

But, but, but - you can!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast