ABW Ambassador
    Newsletters Best Practices
    1. Don't send the newsletters repeatedly with the same offers every other day. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you are spam labeled.

2. Don't send the canned newsletters with nothing but a farm of banners. I know where to get them if I want one.

3. Be creative, one good newsletters a month letting me know what's the best products you've got and why you want me to promote them on my home page is better than everyday "sales alert" of a page of lifeless links.

4. Make sure your newsletters are viewable on different email clients. Test it before send it.

5. Don't call me "Dear FIRST NAME" because that's not my name.

6. If you feel the need to a send newsletter but have nothing to say, how about send me a funny joke? Your newsletter might just stand out from other hundreds of "sales alert" junks.

This one is kinda similar to your first one mayfly

Don't keep putting "Important Information" in subject of newsletter when information is same information repeated in each or many of the newsletters. Helpful information about any program is definitely appreciated but by constantly putting that or "Program Alert" when it's the same information repeated umm after a while an affiliate will possibly just not look at it or put it to the back of the list to read.

Possibly a better suggestion would be to put a link in your newsletter that goes to your blog or forum here that gives this type of demographics or other information about the program. Am sure any affiliate appreciates any helpful information about a program but think they may get turned off from the newsletters the way it's being done.

If you want your affiliates who post your coupons, sales, etc. to really love you include their links for these offers in your newsletter. Include when the coupons start and end also any restrictions with the coupon or offer.

Pssssst.....I've been known to even send an email to affiliate managers who do this thanking them and heaping a lotta praise on how wonderful I think they are for doing this. Am not just saying it, sincerely do appreciate them doing it. (saves me time by not having to log into the network to find expiration dates )

At top of list for me on what not to do in a newsletter is include an offer in it, have a link in it to get the offer and then after logging into the network to get it find out I can't because offer hasn't started yet and you won't let me get the link yet. PLEASE say that and save me the time from going to get a link that's not available yet to me.

3. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I was named "Dustin" today for an offer. It makes me wonder if the offer is really for me or just for "Dustin"...

That's my new name Mayfly You can't have it...
    I got it twice from the same merchant....
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    You can have it Bob.

Nothing against "Dustin", just not my first choice...

8. Thanks From:

And......don't send "Dustin" an email in the afternoon announcing a super one-day sale that STARTS TODAY AND ENDS TODAY!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Thanks From:

+1
    And don't remove you sale prices from your feeds and not send out an alert!
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

12. Thanks From:

Got one tonight that don't believe I've gotten before. The subject included the name of a program I am in and wanted to put the links on my site. Ummm, opened it up and it had a bunch of offers but not for the program in the subject line. Not only that but had been declined from the program the links were for in the newsletter. Has my code in the links but I'm not in the program. Took time to go log in to see if was a mistake and had put in the program without telling me but uhhh nope they still list me as being declined.

So........if I were to put the links on my site, ya think they'd credit me if I got a sale? Just kidding.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I would report it to the network. If it was a mistake they will be notified. If it was intentional they will be warned.

15. Thanks From:

It actually was sent through the network. I did email them about it but not gotten a reply. (that's not unusual tho since majority of the time I don't get replies through the networks and doubt this will be any different) Exception is AvantLink, not to make their lil ears burn but whenever I've written to them about anything I've always gotten a reply and has been a fairly quick response as well.

Also, forgot to say that a couple of times I have gotten emails sent to me that were meant for another person. I know I am waaaaay too trusting or forgiving but figured it might have just been a new person maybe working with the team who made the boo boo so I've written back to let them know it had been sent to the wrong person. Actually felt kinda bad for affiliate it had been meant for so wanted to make sure they got the email. I know, I'm, guilty of thinking waaaaaay too much about things. lol

A bit off topic but reminded me of a pet peeve that's happened. PLEASE do not send a copy of the newsletter to a whole bunch of your affiliates and have all of their emails right there staring at the person who's reading the newsletter to see. Most affiliates value their privacy and aren't thrilled with others knowing their email addresses.

Oooh, must have taken grumpy pills today lol thought of another pet peeve that's really annoying.

Do not under any circumstance announce in your newsletter that so and so Mr. Bad Guy Unethical affiliate was the winner of one of your contests and go on to congratulate them. A really quick way to alienate all of your ethical affiliates......and remember an unhappy ethical affiliate is like an elephant, if something has been done to them they will forever and ever remember who did it to them.

*If you don't understand why praising the unethical affiliate might not be the words the ethical affiliate wants to hear........you need to learn more about unethical affiliates.

17. Thanks From:

Do not under any circumstance announce in your newsletter that so and so Mr. Bad Guy Unethical affiliate was the winner of one of your contests and go on to congratulate them. A really quick way to alienate all of your ethical affiliates......and remember an unhappy ethical affiliate is like an elephant, if something has been done to them they will forever and ever remember who did it to them.
    Did that on my very first affiliate newsletter in 2005 and that's how I found out about ABestWeb and first met Haiko!

They did reply back to me and explained that there was an issue with the interface and they apologized to me.

Was this winner really unethical or you just envy that he won the contest and now everyone knows about it?

I'm sure that Chuck will see this and get back to you on the specifics, but it sounds like one of Many bad moves in newsletters that most affiliates have received at one time or another that says something like "site-scraper affiliate has won our recent contest" and we all know it is an unethical player who seems to turn up in every other program and do nicely stealing from others - either scraping or parasite toolbars. The victims of their success don't like being reminded of where their commissions went.

Even worse is that the newsletter sometimes outs a hardworking affiliate's site which never gets another bonus sale because they are now the target of other scrapers. grrrr.... It's just not a good thing to do. Send a note to the winner and let it go at that.

That's interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I myself would like to receive newsletters with some bonuses because otherwise I can get bored reading all the updates.

Thanks Nancy and yes in 2005 I published my Top 10 affiliates for the month, their sales and their commissions. Big mistake as an AM but it did get me introduced to ABestWeb and formed relationships with affiliates who schooled me on what to do and not to do.

Any time you post about contest winners only divulge the affiliates name and site with their permission.

24. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    And here is my list number 7:

7. Double check, triple check your newsletter and make sure they are not outdated.

On baby! It is 2015!
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    8. Double check, triple check your newsletter's subject and content and see if it make any sense.

---------------------------
    Got an email newsletter from See's Candies titled "Take an extra 20% off Women's Dress Shoes!"

Since when See's Candies start selling shoes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread