ABW Ambassador
    CJ A Failing Network
    When I apply for programs recently I see a lot of Automatic Declined messages since I live in Australia even though my websites target USA customers mainly. I now have to manually write to each advertiser IF they have an email address on their profile. I now see many don't even have that so I'm left in the cold. I just tried to join three advertisers,
    CourseSmart , SoftwareMedia.com & O'Reilly. Only
    CourseSmart have an email contact and the chances are they won't respond which happens anyway about 80% of the time. So now my project with this is left on the shelf.

On top of this, in general they seem to be going backwards, no new progress.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Don't get me started.... CJ was my favorite network. I thought they had some really talented people working there who really understood the affiliate industry. I assume they have all left. The people currently in charge appear to be very inexperienced in usability and software design and have zero experience in affiliate marketing.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    don't get me started.... Cj was my favorite network. I thought they had some really talented people working there who really understood the affiliate industry. I assume they have all left. The people currently in charge appear to be very inexperienced in usability and software design and have zero experience in affiliate marketing.
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

..very inexperienced in usability and software design
    I agree 100 percent.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

6. Thanks From:

..very inexperienced in usability and software design
    On the homepage there's a link to "Review new transactions" which I haven't been able to load since the website was downgraded. It just sits there and spins forever.

That's kind of an important link.

ABW Ambassador
    well I found out you can still email these merchants on the email page.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

isellstuff - who is your new favorite Network (if I may ask)?

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf View Post
    isellstuff - who is your new favorite Network (if I may ask)?
    Oh, I hate to answer.... It pains me.... Ouch......

LinkShare fixed their datafeed delivery problems and currently have lightning fast datafeeds. Their datafeed format is pretty comprehensive with their extended format on a category basis. Their reporting has been reliable for the last four months.

Ohhh, darnit, I can't answer. I don't have a new favorite. I don't favor one over another anymore.... Although, if LinkShare keeps improving, maybe, someday...

11. Thanks From:

Heh heh -- that's a finely written answer right there - I felt your pain and conflict of mind

Choosing between CJ and LinkShare has always been choosing the lesser of two evils.

Number of name brand merchants - they both have an outstanding selection. The only problem is that most name brand merchants are very affiliate-unfriendly.

Technology / Interface - I dislike both, and miss the "simple days" when you could get simple text reports, quickly.

Datafeeds - Garbage in, garbage out. Either can work well and either can be full of garbage.

Ethics - Ouch. The things they allow merchants and affiliates to do... all because they get a cut. Give me ShareASale or Avantlink any day.

Conflicts of Interest - Both manage a lot of programs, and have related companies that are affiliates. That's a lot of conflict of interest.

Payments - CJ used to have an advantage here, because you would always get paid by the 20th of the following month. LinkShare has improved considerably. Not a lot of difference anymore.

Deadbeats - Although much more rare than in the past, you can still get caught holding the bag on either network. CJ should be better since they're supposed to require merchants to maintain a balance, but we've seen that's not always the case.

Overall - I hate to work with either, but often don't have a choice (if I want to promote name brand merchants).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

14. Thanks From:

Payments - CJ used to have an advantage here, because you would always get paid by the 20th of the following month. LinkShare has improved considerably. Not a lot of difference anymore.
    I'm sorry, but LS lets their merchants get away with murder. Letting them go 5 months without payment with no repercussions is quite pitiful.

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    I'm sorry, but LS lets their merchants get away with murder. Letting them go 5 months without payment with no repercussions is quite pitiful.
    Two of my largest losses from non-paying merchants have been on LinkShare....

18. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ethics and 90 day merchant reversal window is what i disklike most about LinkShare...

I'd like SAS to grab some of those merchants from LinkShare - really would...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

20. Thanks From:

CJ A Failing Network
    I've convinced enough of my top merchants to launch with / move to ShareASale that they've been my top-earning network for quite a while. But I choose not to work with many of the top brands, so that helps.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

And anytime I get a "leaving network" email, I let merchants know about SAS.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    A simple example of how they have failed is when you go to your email box and it's loaded with hundreds of "Client Services" emails that mean you can mis more important emails. I'm currently going through all this mess now trying to sort it out... They never bothered to even acknowledge our complaints, there was even a tread on this forum about it.

As for the better Network, I can't fault Avantlinlk, the way they let you filter out datafeeds to be exactly how you want them before you even get them is the most important thing for me and no other network offers this. Plus you can hook them up easily to your website live with a click of the mouse. Linkshare are the opposite and everything has to be done with programing on an old system. I like how Linkshare have a lot of options in the dafafeeds but I hate nearly everything else about the network. Cj is like in between these... they have a lot of potential but nothing is ever finished and by the time they do something a new decade has passed...
    Last edited by glittered; April 28th, 2014 at 04:11 AM.

Michael, Glittered, you two have mentioned my least favorite networks.

ShareASale has a sparse datafeed format that is missing key columns including shipping cost and for some reason they refuse to upgrade their format with additional columns, even when its obvious that their datafeed format has the least information of all networks.

AvantLink has the worst implemented datafeed solution of any network. They designed an XML feed within a spreadsheet format that is far too complex, their datafeed subscription model takes too many steps, and the quality of the merchant datafeeds in their network is horrendously bad.

25. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    AvantLink has the worst implemented datafeed solution of any network. They designed an XML feed within a spreadsheet format that is far too complex, their datafeed subscription model takes too many steps, and the quality of the merchant datafeeds in their network is horrendously bad.
    Seems that was addressed here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/avant...ow-167439.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    If, by addressed, you mean problems outlined in detail, then yes. If you mean "addressed" as in someone has fixed the issues, then no.

28. Thanks From:

If, by addressed, you mean problems outlined in detail, then yes. If you mean "addressed" as in someone has fixed the issues, then no.
    I meant your concerns were aired.

I spend so much time cleaning up both Linkshare and CJ's datafeeds that sometimes I miss getting it uploaded to my site, but that could be my problem. There is so much that I don't understand when it comes to finding shortcuts w/ datafeeds and the tutorials that are offered only sink in half way. It just seems in this day and time you should be able to find simple ways to set things up like you need it and companies like LS and CJ should just fill in the blanks - properly.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

31. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador

well I have to agree that some of Avanlinks merchants datafeeds are not as they should be, I just wrote to them about a major problem with the feed from jensonUSA which has all this code in the descriptions of some products. But this is the merchants that should be making sure this is fixed but the networks must get on top of those ones. I don't find their feeds complex, the opposite. I would like to see them have even more options in the future. One thing I do like that is convenient for me is that I can hook them up to download live with little fuss.

The support ticket system AUTO-CLOSES if theres no update in 72 hours.

Even if the customer support is unable to resolve the issue.

I have to re_Open multiple tickets in order to have an update on the same ISSUE.

Been saying that for years. You have to keep bumping until you get an answer.

35. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread