Tax Paying Member
    Duplicate Content With Data Feeds?
    The quality of data feeds gets worse........

It is painful to do, but when I do a spell check...correct the typing errors.....remove the non-english descriptions ....correct other unexplainable errors in the data feeds.......I no longer have duplicate content.

Don't you think????

You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Somewhat accurate - but efforts like that make you stand out and above the rest...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Somewhat accurate - but efforts like that make you stand out and above the rest...

LOL....You mean that makes me a bigger target??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I think of this more as differentiation than anything else. Datafeed content is duplicate content, no matter how you slice it.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Feed content by itself isn't content - what's done with the feed and how it's presented becomes the content, IMhO.

Correcting spelling, cleaning up the feed, etc - can "help" as you risk a lesser chance of being penalized (remember, no pluses in ranking - only penalties).

Affiliates are "middlemen" - that's where the lying share of the penalties are...

7. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    ......Affiliates are "middlemen" - that's where the lying share of the penalties are...
    Sorry to say, but that's as it should be. That is, unless the "middlemen" provide true added value for the reader.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Sorry to say, but that's as it should be. That is, unless the "middlemen" provide true added value for the reader.
    Yes, have said that -

However, "true added value for the reader" is subjective, based on what the reader considers "value".

Build sites for YOUR readers - not the bots...

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Absolutely!

Been saying that for years - and it needs to be repeated - and then repeated some more.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

13. Thanks From:

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    What Witzer says is simplistic. I have been doing this a long time and believe me what I output is nothing like what I get from the datafeeds. The datafeed gives me sentences (and phrases) describing dresses and I output bullet points so they are nothing alike. But lets just deal with a small grouping of products from datafeeds, say 10,000 a person doesn't have time to read every entry and fix the spelling errors every day and this is only 10,000, what if there is 100,000 which is my order of magnitude, or millions bigger sites than my own.

Automation doesn't do this well. You can't have a program go through the datafeed and fix the spelling errors b/c you really don't know what word is really meant. Every time I make a typo and use a spell check, there is always a dozen words, the odds the computer can figure out which is the right one even 1/2 the time isn't very good. Plus what about names or odd words that are supposed to be 'misspelled' from the programs out of view, you'll screw them up too.

If you have a small enough sample that you can go through it every day to make sure the spelling is right, you have a small enough sample to skip the datafeed all together and go to the actually site and get the true information which is accurate and copy/paste/modify it yourself. If you are going to put in the time, you might as well do it right.

I guess what I am saying is that if dealing with a large amount of products you shouldn't try and fix the spelling on a datafeed. Instead look for certain keywords and then fit them into your own sentences/framework.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oranges View Post
    What Witzer says is simplistic. I have been doing this a long time and believe me what I output is nothing like what I get from the datafeeds.

However, "true added value for the reader" is subjective, based on what the reader considers "value".

This is the key.....

Thanks for the help fellows.

I meant for it to be simplistic. I was talking about the quality of datafeeds.
    Carolina China

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Well then I don't agree. The quality of the datafeeds is the same now as they always have been. (not they they were every good) No datafeed is perfect and except for rare cases with very short datafeeds the feed should be created from the same database that the merchant site uses. Thus if there are misspellings you should be able to find them in the merchants site. I do find a the recurring problem of when the merchant removes the anchor text from the datafeed and forgets to replace it with a space so you get two words that was separated in the site to be together in the feed. But that is a common problem....strangely enough now the way I handle feeds that problem is irrelevant to me.

I thought you was saying that if you fix the spelling errors, remove the non-english words that your content wouldn't be duplicate and I am saying that isn't possible if the datafeed (or feeds in aggregate) is of any length at all
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread