ABW Ambassador
    HostGator Support - Slow Responses?
    So I decided to move some of my sites to HostGator giving that the majority here are recommending HG.

Everything moved smoothly, I'm happy with what I see so far other than the support response time.

I've tried using "Live Chat" three times for some minor tech issues. Each time the wait time is between 10 - 30 minutes. That's a lot compare to my other smaller hosting provider which usually takes about 30 seconds to one minute before a live chat rep appears.

Yesterday afternoon, I started a live chat to check something with the support. The message shows the expecting wait time is 30 minutes. So I submitted a support ticket instead. The message was sent and I received a confirmation email. I waited all afternoon, no response. I checked today, still no response.

It is way too slow for a hosting support ticket get addressed, don't you think? I know it is weekend, but the online biz is 24/7 thing, and it is a hosting biz.

I know many of you guys have good experiences with HostGator, that's why I chose it, but I have to say, the support response time is not very impressive so far.

I know I could call if it is emergency issue...just thinking 30 minutes waiting for a "live chat" and 24 hour no response from ticket support are too much.

Hostgator went to hell in a handbasket when they got bought out by EIG. They're still not anywhere near the worst, though, by any stretch of the imagination.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

3. Thanks From:

Email support does not work with HostGator, live chat is the only thing that worked for me. They had several data-center issues the last six month's or more. I had to put several sites off their servers over the last few weeks.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

5. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Email support does not work with HostGator,
    That's not good. Sometimes we need to send more information to the support to address the issue. Live chat does not work well if you need to attach more documents...Plus, their live chat wait time is way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    That's not good. Sometimes we need to send more information to the support to address the issue. Live chat does not work well if you need to attach more documents...Plus, their live chat wait time is way too long.
    Fully agree with you.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Another 30 minutes wait time for live chat this morning. Seriously? It is Sunday morning...I'm starting to regret to move some of my sites to HG. Luckily I still keep my other hosting account and left a few sites there.

Yes that is about right with HG, it a good idea to keep the second host anyway (I have 5 host) and setup your sites on at least 2 host, that way you can change your DNS quickly if your host has a long outage or are having a lot of issues.I spread my sites over the 5 host but have my MYSQL databases on a very reliable host that I been with 7+ years (Windows Host) that allows the mysql databases to be used from my other host as well as my workstations for development.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    ...it a good idea to keep the second host anyway (I have 5 host) and setup your sites on at least 2 host, that way you can change your DNS quickly if your host has a long outage or are having a lot of issues...
    Great advice for anyone serious about earning a living online. I've used this same technique for many years. I used to have three hosts but am now down to the two that have proven most reliable (for me). But I do have space on five different servers (VPS and Reseller accounts), which is about to be reduced to four - and then three by year end.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

12. Thanks From:

Yes, the reason I have 5 host is that I am slowly moving from Windows ASP sites to PHP sites so I have to have at least 2 of each.

Affiliate Manager
    Vote with your feet and leave. Plenty of people are saying the same...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just ordered another server from the company we've been using for a dozen years - and it's NOT HostGator!

If you want our recommendation, just PM me...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Tax Paying Member
    I had a reseller account with HG for a couple of years that was a total nightmare. Their support told be that the troubles were a figment of my imagination.

I have a regular shared account that seems a little slow at times, but otherwise is doing well.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I had a reseller account with HG for a couple of years that was a total nightmare. Their support told be that the troubles were a figment of my imagination.

I have a regular shared account that seems a little slow at times, but otherwise is doing well.
    Have you suffered in the recent outages / downtimes?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHB-Matt View Post
    Have you suffered in the recent outages / downtimes?
    No outages with present account. The other account that I canceled was down at least once each day for months. As always, it seems to be the luck of the draw as to which server that you get stuck with.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I actually don't know what Brent Oxley was thinking when he sold not just his company but his customers and reputation cheap. When will we be able to see a hosting provider with a CEO like Steve Jobs?

Anyways, HostGator was awesome years ago but now after being sold it is the worst

I moved my sites from Hostgator to MDDHosting. Their servers are really fast.

MDDHosting - Professional Hosting Solutions

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread