ABW Ambassador
    One Day Without Shoes - Seriously?
    I've been seeing this no shoes campaign all over the net and TV in the last couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good causes and have been support many of them in my life. But this is going too far.

There were some local news about people hiking without shoes to raise global awareness for children's health and education...just by watching them walking thru rocks and shrubs makes me feel painful.

Seriously, do we need to go extreme for a good cause? I've know poor kids without shoes when I grew up, they walk bare feet because their parents couldn't afford a pair of shoes.

Now we have to go this far to just show that we are part of the good cause? In stead of taking off your shoes for one day, how about donate some of your fortune to buy shoes for those don't have, or feed those who are starving? Not only you are doing some real good deed, but save our medical resources from wasting their time to stitch up the cuts and wounds you deliberately acquired by walking thru rocks and thrubs without shoes!

So to answer the pretty reporter's question: will you walk without shoes for a day to raise global awareness for children's health and education? My answer is: No. But I will support it with my shoes on.
    Last edited by mayfly; April 28th, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

I'm an affiliate. I hardly ever wear shoes. Sometimes I don't even wear pants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I'm an affiliate. I hardly ever wear shoes. Sometimes I don't even wear pants.
    Beat me to it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Beat me to it...
    Me, too. LOL

My workday attire is usually shorts and flipflops - y'know, beachy stuff.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

8. Thanks From:

Oh I haven't heard about it! I like this idea. Could you write me when it start?

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Let me guess, you saw this going around on Facebook right? I hate all the stupid stunt campaigns going around for raising "awareness" for some charity or cause. How about pony up some dough for research or, if you're strapped, encourage others to do so through sharing those links... not just walking around with no shoes, or taking a no makeup selfie, or posting a picture of your junk in a sock to "raise awareness" (read: call attention to yourself)
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn View Post
    Let me guess, you saw this going around on Facebook right?
    No, local TV news. They call themselves "barefoot hikers" who hike without shoes. I think this is stupidest thing you can do to your feet no matter what "awareness" you want to raise.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    No, local TV news. They call themselves "barefoot hikers" who hike without shoes. I think this is stupidest thing you can do to your feet no matter what "awareness" you want to raise.
    I'm surprised. Must have been a slow news day
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

ABW Ambassador
    This reminds me a while back some city kids experienced "homelessness" by living in cardboard boxes for a night or something and all the media and reporters were excited about this "good cause".

Sure, they felt cold and uncomfortable for one night knowing that they are going to have a hot shower and a warm meal in their cozy homes next morning...

It is just showing how extreme people are willing to go to raise "awareness".

Seems to me it's about either doing too much or too little (or nothing at all).
    Even though I dislike the tactics, it is good to get people thinking about folks in need....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Seems to me it's about either doing too much or too little (or nothing at all).
    Even though I dislike the tactics, it is good to get people thinking about folks in need....
    I agree that getting people thinking is good, but I just think there are less asinine ways of doing it
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

Doug Stanhope - Fun run for nothing and raising awareness (NSFW - language)

I can't say I disagree with a lot of this, but the first half, about fun runs and the like, I do. It's the second half that I think is relevant here, the part about how "raising awareness" isn't the same as "doing something" (starts about the 3:00 mark).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

You hit my beef right on the head. I think most causes people are aware of, but knowing about a cause and helping one are two different things.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

I'm torn because awareness is clearly a powerful tool for change but at the same time, awareness for the sake of awareness accomplishes nothing. It's not like taking our shoes off is going to help put shoes on the feet of others.

What's going to help is people spending time and money on solving the problem - so why not be one of those people? Although I can understand the idea that you don't have time and money to give so awareness is the best thing you can offer. I don't know!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread