Avoiding Double Encoding Datafeed Data
    Arghhh, so I just noticed my website's snippets in Google/Bing looked horrible because of double encoding problems. I evidently introduced this problem last year! Something like an encoding issue doesn't exactly scream "trust this website"....

I thought I would recap the issue so everyone can learn. Basically ampersands, single quotes, double quotes, less than, greater than, etc need to be encoded when they are inserted into HTML. You never know what you are going to get from a datafeed, e.g. it could be already encoded, or not...

I usually use a "decode" then "encode" strategy to deal with the unknown state of the data. The idea is to get the down to the "raw text", then re-encode so that everything is encoded only once. A decode->encode strategy becomes very important when you munge together data from multiple sources.

My website evidently had a pathway that skipped the decode step for a fair number of pages. The end result was some really cryptic looking snippets being displayed to users in the search engines. Yikes!

2. Thanks From:

Great tip!

And it doesn't hurt to decode twice before you encode. You never know if the merchant might have double-encoded it.

I find it best to treat each datafeed separately. I'd love it if every datafeed followed a standard, but they don't. Even within a network. Every merchant does something a little different. It can be a nightmare to work with all those inconsistencies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    We treat each feed separately - decode and strip html. THEN cleanup gets underway: Removal of phone numbers, drop all "call for price", duplicate promotional text, etc...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I just implemented Michael's double decode tip, it makes sense. Trying to deploy it right now and of course Softlayer's API is down so I can't do take my servers out of rotation on the load balancer. Frustrating.

BTW, I'm processing about 1,100 datafeeds, so I don't currently do any "merchant specific" stuff, just general rules that can apply to every one. I really dislike it when a merchant says something like, "I've changed the meaning of column X in the datafeed so you can have more data". I'm like, "You did WHAT!!????!!!"

How do you decode an encode a datafeed? I do it the old fashion way I guess.. Find/Replace. Is there a faster way?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    How do you decode an encode a datafeed? I do it the old fashion way I guess.. Find/Replace. Is there a faster way?
    Its something you would do in a programming language. So for instance, in c# .NET, it is:

HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(input)));

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(input)));
    Oh, hmm, I see.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread