Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Make Html Site Mobile Friendly?
    I have a few html sites well over 2000 pages in total and was thinking of making the sites to be more mobile friendly.
    Thank goodness I can just edit the CSS file to do that but those of you who still build html sites, what widths do you use to be more mobile friendly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks From:

I've been studying this also and was thinking of starting a thread on how to do just that.
    There appears to be 3 different css styles for desktop, tablets & notebooks, and iPads and Cellular Phones.

And the most important is this one line of code in the header.
    <!-- Mobile viewport -->
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0">

Which sets the screen zoom to scale 1.
    Last edited by Bob Lawrence; April 29th, 2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Left off some letters ..:)
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

4. Thanks From:

I actually do not see any benefit for the user in mobile sites. Today's smartphones and tablets are perfectly capable of browsing desktop sites with ease. I personally hate mobile sites and the first thing I look for when presented with a mobile site is to find a link to desktop site. Its because the majority of mobile sites offer dumbed down version of desktop site with far less options and endless scrolling.

I am not alone in this.

The data in the "RSR Mobile Consumer 20 Research, October 2013" study is shocking. In an October study of 1,152 U.S. consumers who own smartphones and/or tablets, 55% bypass mobile commerce web sites in favor of full desktop sites when shopping on their mobile devices.
    Last edited by Nabz; April 29th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    Good tip on the RSR report, Nabz.

I was able to turn up some background on that here:
    https://www.internetretailer.com/com...e-mobile-sites

Seems the main thing isn't that customers prefer all the futzing around to scroll and zoom full-size pages on a phone's tiny screen, it's just that too many mobile sites are poorly designed, often missing features, sometimes critical purchasing ones, found on the main site.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

7. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1 Nabz - been saying this for years without any problems...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Another +1 Nabz. I can't stand most mobile versions of sites. Mobile Wikipedia? Awesome. But man, just about anything else... just give me your regular site. And here's the thing - if you have a nicely designed layout, not too crowded, easy to navigate on the desktop... most of the time it'll translate just great to a phone.

Having said that... the study reported 55% of users bypass mobile sites in favor of full desktop sites on their mobile devices... but 45% of users don't. And that's not a number that can be ignored.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have time to read and shop on mobile (impulse by) while I am out of the house/office. Poorly formatted newsletters get stuck in a side folder and I skim through them, deleting most. Social has always sucked on my iPhone so I killed FB/TW/G+ and spend less time on the desktop.

I agree most mobile sites suck on mobile. Mobile traffic now exceeds desktop so are you missing opportunity to close more sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I agree most mobile sites suck on mobile. Mobile traffic now exceeds desktop so are you missing opportunity to close more sales?
    If a site sucks on mobile, then it just sucks. Point being if a site is built correctly, there is no need for another version of that site...

12. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    OK I get that, how do you determine if a site is good enough via mobile, just look it up?

The data in the "RSR Mobile Consumer 20 Research, October 2013" study is shocking. In an October study of 1,152 U.S. consumers who own smartphones and/or tablets, 55% bypass mobile commerce web sites in favor of full desktop sites when shopping on their mobile devices.
    Deceptive quote. "smartphones and/or tablets" Well which one is it? On my tablet, I absolutely prefer full sites. On my phone, not so much. Get back to me when they do a survey with ALL phone users and I'll take it seriously. You can't lump the two together and get an accurate survey. My iPad screen is 5 times bigger than my phone for crying out loud.

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    OK I get that, how do you determine if a site is good enough via mobile, just look it up?
    Yep.

For those without access to people who have any mobile devices or have any of their own - there are plenty of online emulators...

I definitely would not make any changes to my sites for mobile - we have an e-commerce site that looks and works great on tablets, and phones if you have 50/50 vision :-)

I think people browse the web a lot on smartphones but I'm not so sure how much interaction there is when it comes to purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    I think people browse the web a lot on smartphones but I'm not so sure how much interaction there is when it comes to purchasing.
    A lot. One of the previous conversations (AvantLink thread?) Think we were somewhere around 27% of purchases were mobile. Not a stat we monitor daily...

Here's the thread, you may find it interesting...

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/share...ng-168749.html

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Bootstrap. It has all the widths and scalability built in. I'm almost to the point where I won't start a new project without it. No point in building CSS from the ground up. A lot of people complain that Boostrap sites are starting to look cookie cutter, but that's up to you to differentiate. At least all your padding, margins, font sizes, etc will look modern from the get-go. If you don't use something like Foundation or Boostrap you'll essentially have to build a CSS framework from the ground up and that's the work of a skilled designer. I don't think many of us are that skilled in design.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Now you tell me.. I have a few templates completed. Now, if I only had a connection I could work online with. I will need to look at this bootstrap thing, but really, I do think anyone who has been writing their own pages can convert a little css to be all responsive all the time. I have noticed that Google likes it better and it is the same independent of browsers and devices.. Now if we could get datafeeds with optimized images

22. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Now you tell me.. I have a few templates completed. Now, if I only had a connection I could work online with. I will need to look at this bootstrap thing, but really, I do think anyone who has been writing their own pages can convert a little css to be all responsive all the time. I have noticed that Google likes it better and it is the same independent of browsers and devices.. Now if we could get datafeeds with optimized images
    I find it redundant to write CSS from scratch. So much of that work has been done in numerous frameworks that look so much better than anything I can come up with. Using media queries can get ugly fast if you don't organize them well from the start. I think what you're saying is that Google likes a responsive website. That makes sense because it's the same content no matter what device you're using to browse.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I'm on the fence about mobile sites vs. the regular site on a smartphone. Some regular sites are just chock with too much going on and it either can't be read correctly on even the smartest of phones, might have flash that doesn't translate to any Apple product, or there might be a TON of little text that is harder to zoom in and navigate.

So, I'd assess your site on a smart phone before doing any mobile specific stuff, to see how easy (or hard) is it to navigate and find what you're looking for on just the regular site loaded into Safari or Chrome on a smartphone.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn View Post
    I'm on the fence about mobile sites vs. the regular site on a smartphone. Some regular sites are just chock with too much going on and it either can't be read correctly on even the smartest of phones, might have flash that doesn't translate to any Apple product, or there might be a TON of little text that is harder to zoom in and navigate.

So, I'd assess your site on a smart phone before doing any mobile specific stuff, to see how easy (or hard) is it to navigate and find what you're looking for on just the regular site loaded into Safari or Chrome on a smartphone.
    That's what responsive design solves. Everything scales and rearranges itself according to the size of the screen through CSS. Some elements like the sidebars might collapse or drop below the content. Headers might become drop down menus. The page body should use percentages rather than fixed widths. If you use a fixed width anywhere on your site you'll ruin any chance of offering a reasonable mobile experience. Fixed widths are a thing of the past.

Here's a helpful introduction to the concept:

10 basic tips about responsive design

When you use something like Bootstrap you won't need to implement any of this because it's already done.

26. Thanks From:

Responsive design is fantastic - it's the redesign using alternate themes that bugs me. Plugins like WP-Touch or things of that nature seemed like such a good idea at the time...
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    Responsive design is fantastic - it's the redesign using alternate themes that bugs me. Plugins like WP-Touch or things of that nature seemed like such a good idea at the time...
    I was going to ask about wordpress plugins for those of us that use WP instead of html coded sites anymore. Clearly you don't think much of WP-Touch, but I pose the question to all: is there a good Wordpress plugin that uses responsive design or a similar principal to adapt sites to a more friendly mobile format?
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

I run Thesis on my Wordpress sites. Responsiveness is baked right in. Other major frameworks like Genesis and others, I believe are the same.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Find a WordPress theme based on Bootstrap. It'll be responsive and you'll have the added bonus of interchangeability with other Bootstrap themes.

Yes, swapping themes based on browser headers is an outdated technique. It scales terribly and creates a maintenance nightmare. You have to maintain an updated list of mobile headers and any change you make to the site requires updating two separate templates. Then if you're using JavaScript libraries like jQuery mobile you'll have two sets of JavaScript code to maintain. It's incredibly painful to manage such a site.

31. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread