Using IP (direct host) urls (instead of domains)
    At one point, I owned over 60 indiv. domains (I bought and registered them personally). Most are topically science/engineering/industry/academic and home improvement/diy. Overall, I have pretty HQ content and most sites have been running for 9-10 years or more.

Because of personal economics, and the annual, ever-increasing domain-name re-registration cost, I'm letting most of my domains expire. However, hosting costs very little, and the accounts to which each of the expired domain is associated is still active.

Essentially, I can keep running the same "website" using my host-provided IP address and an identification name:
    One hosts is the tradit. IP addy + username:
    67.222.107.164/~dataacq/forum/index.php
    Data Acquisition and Signal Conditioning Forum: Discuss DAQ boards, ADC, DAC

One of my hosts provides a nameserver:
    ns1.commondns.com/~crfolks/crsupport_us/index.html
    Home Improvement, Construction & Do-it-Yourself Resources

I do run some ads, but not Adsense.

SEOwise, does/will Google penalize for running directly off the hosting server?

Thanks!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you considered running the sites as separate subdirectories of one domain? Even if the scheme that you have proposed works out ok, it would take some time for your sites/pages to re-gain search rankings after the change, and you'd be screwed if your webhost was to move accounts on that server to another server, resulting in yet another IP change (this happens fairly often).
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

3. Thanks From:

Yes, some better-performing sites have been moved to a parent (super) site -- one with a central, long-owned/dedicated, "high"-ranking domain.

But most did not perform that well to begin with -- and I got tired of re-locating stuff.

The point about change-of-IP address is important. I ran into this issue quite a few times because my registrar/DNS company is different from the hosting service company. I do not use low-end hosts, so when my sites failed because the host changed server IP (and did not effectively inform their clientele), it was a surprise. That's with traditional domains, mind you!

My bottom line is that the content is avail. via a link off a home page (a central site, like say a Facebook page). Google ranking is of medium importance -- none of my content ranks/ranked very high, IAC --- as long as one can find it on some SERP page, that's good enough.
    Last edited by hollowman; May 5th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.

Affiliate Manager deciphermedia's Avatar
    I tried to do some searching about SEO (google page rank specifically) with a direct IP vs a domain name and couldn't find anything. It looks like the page rank algorithm may not care if the domain is Foo.com or 67.222.107.164.

However, as a potential customer, I feel like I might be turned off by the lack of domain, and think the site is a scam.

Not sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by deciphermedia View Post
    I tried to do some searching about SEO (google page rank specifically) with a direct IP vs a domain name and couldn't find anything. It looks like the page rank algorithm may not care if the domain is Foo.com or 67.222.107.164.

However, as a potential customer, I feel like I might be turned off by the lack of domain, and think the site is a scam.
    I came into Aff. Mrktng early (late 90s) and bought some of the catchiest (memorable) domains ... and I could hardly get the total revenue stream to cover the cost (register + hosting). I gave up on most Aff. Mrktng years ago ... don't think I was good at it!
    IAC ... and if anything ... I've seen a slight boost in traffic because Google seems to like change ... so the new URLs (as cryptic and geeky and unmemorable as they are) are something new for Google to play with ... until it finds that these sites won't be updated (=boring) ... and it'll lower its ranking as surely as those now-$$-to-reregister fancy-shamancy domain names.

Just a quick update ...for one of the several dozen domains I let expire (pretty much the same results for others) ...
    ...after about a week (following expiration of orig. domain; and then just direct server linked from my home page), Alexa ranking is back to pre-expiration levels. Google "PR" is still "not ranked". Revenue-wise... just pennies/day before expiration ... and that hasn't changed.
    Godaddy and 1and1 won't be getting my biz from now on ... not even for the ubiquitous dirt-cheap *.biz deals.
    LOL!!!!

Google PageRank metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
    Google "PR" is still "not ranked".
    LOL!!!!
    FWIW (which is not a lot IME), the PR for these sites (pre-expiration ... some with their catchy domain names and all) were never more than 1 or 2.
    Not sure why my sites were not better performers. Content-rich home-improvement and DIY are my main type of sites. The following used to be "diy-resources.com"
    67.222.107.164/~diyreso
    Google (and others) say write for humans and not SEs and etc. BS.
    Never worked for me ... but I also never signed up with AdWords, either

Alexa Ranking? Google PR? You may as well go for the triple crown and try to outrank your competitors on Altavista.

Hate to break it to you, but the articles you've been reading on teh interwebz are obsolete (by about 10 years).
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Alexa Ranking? Google PR? You may as well go for the triple crown and try to outrank your competitors on Altavista.

Hate to break it to you, but the articles you've been reading on teh interwebz are obsolete (by about 10 years).
    I'm sure you're right. I haven't kept up -- only so many hours in a lifespan ... and I don't wanna "invest" a proportion of them researching/tweaking/SEOing AM sites. That's way to boring
    BTW ... I have tried social media ... one of those floater bars with Twitter/FB/G+/etc. icons. But no diff.
    IME, and very roughly estimated at that ... only better Alexa improves revenue.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread