Merchants Need to Get W/ Bigger is Better Image Trend
    Have you noticed how massive images have become w/ Pinterest, Google+ etc? It seems the bigger the image, the better, yet most merchants continue to offer moderately sized product images. If this trend continues, which I suspect it will for awhile, we need better product images to promote. It would be great if product images had size selections available, similar to the options w/ banners. And when I say big.. I mean like 800X800.. in that range.

Even when I download images to my own server and try to resize (upsize) them, the quality is often so bad I end up not posting them.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

2. Thanks From:

I see were you are coming from and agree their needs to be a minimum size but with such large images would it not slow down sites that displays product feeds on their sites?
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I see were you are coming from and agree their needs to be a minimum size but with such large images would it not slow down sites that displays product feeds on their sites?
    I agree kse. I don't think it work well with product feeds. Large images would be more for featured items, product galleries, and reposts.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I agree kse. I don't think it work well with product feeds. Large images would be more for featured items, product galleries, and reposts.
    In that case I get the larger image from the merchants site directly (and save it on my server) and in some cases I look at the image URL and see if their is a variable I can change. Some times it as easy as changing /small/ to /large/ in the url.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

6. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Some times it as easy as changing /small/ to /large/ in the url.
    And the pixel size in the url (138 x 138 >> 250 x 250). It is always frustrating when you see mechant image urls the include the size but that do not work if changed. That is one thing about Amazon that makes it so easy to promote, you can change the image url to any size you want.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    You can get larger images with most merchants on ShareAsale, when you select one product at a time. Works well for me......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    And the pixel size in the url (138 x 138 >> 250 x 250). .......
    I have several merchants you give this option as well, which is excellent way of sizing the images.

Didn't know about changing the url. I'll definitely give it a try. I know that sometimes I can find the image code in the source and plug that in and get a super big image, but not always.
    leeann

If you contact your affiliate manager, they should be able to provide you with a bigger image.

BTW you can't resize an image to make it bigger without a huge loss of quality

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    If you contact your affiliate manager, they should be able to provide you with a bigger image.
    Been through that a few times re image sizes and if they have tens of or hundreds of thousands of products and a system that has two sizes (as seems to be the norm) their response has usually been that they are unable to provide anything else.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    BTW you can't resize an image to make it bigger without a huge loss of quality
    Yeah, that has been part of the problem.
    leeann

I have just the opposite problem at times. Will have several products on a page and like having them all to be around the same size. Some merchants only have gigantic images available so the idea of being like the banner sizes where you can choose a size would be great Uhhh, also would be nice if some merchants would just have any images of their products available. lol

17. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    Uhhh, also would be nice if some merchants would just have any images of their products available. lol
    I agree.........To me this is a bigger problem than size........Without images to work with, I can not promote a program. No images...No space on my site.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer View Post
    I agree.........To me this is a bigger problem than size........Without images to work with, I can not promote a program. No images...No space on my site.
    Absolutely. Also, I cannot understand how some merchant sites have what seems like a difference size for every image. That is impossible to deal with.

Something else that has always bothered me - why do some merchants show, instead of the product itself, the BOX it comes in? That is, in my opinion, totally worthless.

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    I have just the opposite problem at times. Will have several products on a page and like having them all to be around the same size. Some merchants only have gigantic images available so the idea of being like the banner sizes where you can choose a size would be great
    FYI - there are 2 html thingamajigs that you can use to control image size - max-width and max-height. You can set them to the max size you want and they will limit the display size of the image. if the image is a smaller size, it will leave it at the smaller size (no stretching). these might help if you are not already using them.

this won't reduce the file size, so load time could still be slow, but it can help fix display issues

22. Thanks From:

This thread brings up and interesting point and one we acknowledge on Blog posts. The bigger the image, the better.

Time to make transition and offer affiliates bigger size options as well.

Richard Rowe
    OPM | Affiliate Manager | [URL="http://tapautoparts.com/affiliate_program.html"]Total Automotive Performance[/URL]
    Share A Sale

I don't foresee many merchants adding larger sizes due to bandwidth. Their servers would take a beating if a ton of requests came in everytime an affiliates website is loaded. It may help if affiliates are requesting the images once and caching them on their end or if merchants were caching via a CDN.

I'm not sure if many of you are aware, but we (Prosperent) have solved a lot of the issues on this post:

1. In our api, we provide multiple image sizes up to 500x500px
    2. We provide consistent image sizes across all merchants
    3. We trim the images to eliminate too much white space

I did know about changing the size in the url and do it a lot but sometimes the image doesn't end up looking very good.

superCool - I wasn't aware of what you said and am definitely gonna try it. Thank you very much for the help, appreciate it very much.

Guess while I'm at it will go just a teeeny bit off topic and be a lil picky about something else. Don't like when sometimes the product has a black background, ends up really sticking out when all the other photos have clear backgrounds.

Guess just the opposite, when an image of crystal has a clear background it really doesn't do the crystal justice at all. May just be a personal opinion but crystal is easier seen or stands out better when is against a dark background.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread