Smile "The Do’s and Don’ts of Online Copywriting – How to Write Effective Website Content"
    If you wonder how you can drive more targeted traffic to your
    website then this is the article for you.

"If you follow these tips and guidelines, I’m confident your website will attract more traffic and you’ll increase your click-through and conversion rates." -- Excellent advice.

The Do's and Don'ts of Online Copywriting – How to Write Effective Website Content
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    A few good points, but she seems to be saying overall "never underestimate the stupidity of your visitors", in other words, write to the level of your least sophisticated visitor.

All that would possibly apply to a sales-oriented site that features products first, second, and always, and includes little more than product descriptions, reviews, and the like. For blogs and other sites that are content-oriented, featuring information first and products second, her advice is less applicable. This is not to say that blogs are not written to sell products and make a profit, just that their lure is providing information, and her rules limit that.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

3. Thanks From:

The advice is for general good copy.
    I'm not sure how you reached your interpretation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I'm not sure how you reached your interpretation.
    Suggestions such as these that are writing for the lowest common denominator:
    "Avoid jargon, acronyms, ambiguity and abbreviations."
    "Use the word 'you'” (one of the first rules of what not to do in quality writing.
    "Write informally, the way you speak – use active verbs and use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs"
    "Use plain English" none of those big, long, or complicated words a visitor might have to think about.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    "Use the word 'you'” (one of the first rules of what not to do in quality writing.
    Would you rather use " “I” or “we” or “customers” in your web copy?
    Go ahead, combine “I” or “we” and/or “customers” with jargon, acronyms & abbreviations, in fact do the opposite of any helpful hint from this article -- then do A/B testing to measure your success
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's Skunky's two pennorth of copper.
    The trouble with this kind of article is that it doesn't address the core problem. (No article could.)
    It's a list of things to avoid and things to do. As such, the information is okay.
    But it doesn't address the core issue. How to write. How to string words together in a persuasive, meaningful way.
    Last edited by VampireSkunk; May 12th, 2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo

8. Thanks From:

From Ms. Ross' first three paragraphs - a simple inventory of "me" vs. "you" pronouns.
    I, I'm, I, my, I, you, I'm, your, you'll, your, I'd, you, I, I'm - LOL

Interesting article but I have seen it all before - just in different lists by different authors!

The main problem I have with her laundry lists of DOs and DON'Ts is that it is far too much for a fledgling writer to digest. If she wants to be helpful, rather than just curate what others have written (or listed), she should segment her guide into smaller pieces and show - BY EXAMPLE - how to do (or not do) the good, the bad and [even] the ugly.

To do that - teach by example - would be helpful for those that really need the help. To do only what she did is basically useless for those to whom the article [supposedly] is intended. Look at those who have responded thus far. Rhia, you don't need this kind of "help" - nor do Phil or Skunky. I, on the other hand, need all the help I can get...

Among her long list of things to do to be effective is: "Credit your sources." Yet, she has a section entitled: Research suggests that website users: - and has no reference for that research. Is this a case of, "Do as I say but not as I do?" LOL
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    It feels to me like it's a rehash of what most people already know. Those kinds of articles are written for content marketing sites or for guest posts to get clients.

Copywriting for websites has become so difficult and sophisticated, it's really hard to do well and summarize in a few paragraphs. She really doesn't get into how unique, interesting and useful content has to be to be successful. If it's done well, it sounds breezy so that no one knows it took 3 hours to write 800 words.

It's much more than pretending to talk to a friend....

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily View Post
    Copywriting for websites has become so difficult and sophisticated, it's really hard to do well and summarize in a few paragraphs.
    That's why I put this in the Newbie Faqs subforum.
    This is a good collection for a start.

If you want to submit advanced copywriting articles, please feel free to do so
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This is a good collection for a start.
    Actually it's not. A I said above, it is far to much for a newbie to absorb. So much so that it can be intimidating and have a negative result. How many of the newbies here can even read - and comprehend - what Ms. Ross put forth? Shoot, many of them cannot even construct a complete sentence with a subject and verb.

What it can serve as is a "refresher" for more advanced writers. They can use it as a checklist as a measure of their own work.

Sorry Rhia, but that's the way I see it. I am in no way meaning to put you down for posting the link. This was actually a good link - because it generated a bit of engagement.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I have books on advertising and copywriting. I really haven't seen any articles that teach newbies how to do it well. That's a big part of the problem with website content right now. People want fast and easy. It doesn't exist.

Unfortunately there are people who think if they have good grammar, they can write content. It's a disappointment when their sites flop.

15. Thanks From:

I have books on advertising and copywriting. I really haven't seen any articles that teach newbies how to do it well. That's a big part of the problem with website content right now. People want fast and easy. It doesn't exist.

Unfortunately there are people who think if they have good grammar, they can write content. It's a disappointment when their sites flop.
    I cringe when I see sites written by people who do have a bit of writing talent and can and do include some element of decent content, but who have no concept of grammar and certainly seem to have no one else do any proofreading.

Aunt Lily, Bill, Rhia, Skunky, do any of you agree with the point in the article that says one is more likely to catch grammar/spelling errors if they print out the copy and read it off a page, as opposed to just looking at their computer screen? I really doubt that there is any difference.

ABW Ambassador
    Paper? I haven't used paper in a decade.

and

"But it doesn't address the core issue. How to write. How to string words together in a persuasive, meaningful way."

Other than going to college for a course or maybe being a gifted writer that is just born with that skill (not sure if that actually happens or not) are there any books or some other source maybe that either of you could suggest?

Or......is it something you feel that is a gift a person has or necessary to learn in college?

"Paper? I haven't used paper in a decade. "

hee, hee My Dad was a printer and brought home paper that I guess would be considered scrap paper that didn't get used. I still have a lil bit left I am always writing lists to do, notes to myself, etc. Although have an enormous amount of emails I send to people and receive ummmm, I actually still write letters that get mailed to some people as well. I know am definitely a dinosaur in that respect. (Lil nieces and nephews love to get mail addressed to them ) Sorry, got waaaaay off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    some other source maybe that either of you could suggest?
    Check out Brian Clark & his advice.
    You can start here:
    Brian Clark, Author at Copyblogger

He's on Twitter & G+

You could do a Google search for the topic.
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 14th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    If you want to submit advanced copywriting articles, please feel free to do so
    Actually, this morning I put some notes together for a "short" article targeted at newbies AND more learned folks (here and elsewhere). Hopefully, I can make it easy/easier to reduce or eliminate some common word choice errors. These errors are pervasive and make an intelligent person appear as though they slept through high school English class. It will be short - with only four examples - so it (hopefully) will not intimidate anyone.

I'm slammed with activities here at the neighboring beach resort town this weekend (Cruisin' 2014) but hope create an article next week that I can then summarize and share here.

"David Ogilvy is an advertising legend." -- Very true.
    Often described as the “Original Mad Man,” and “The Father of Advertising,” Ogilvy is known largely for his advertising work while serving as the founder of Ogilvy & Mather. In addition to building a multibillion dollar company, he also helped create hugely successful campaigns for clients such as Dove, Shell, and Rolls-Royce.

If you spend any amount of time reading or watching David, you’re sure to be inspired to write better copy, so I’d encourage you to read his book or watch some of the videos floating around the web. In the meantime though, I’d like to present you with what I believe to be the best of Ogilvy’s arsenal:
    See source David Ogilvy's 7 Tips for Writing Copy That Sells
    Try these links:
    David Ogilvy's 7 Tips for Writing Copy That Sells

10 Tips on Writing from David Ogilvy | Brain Pickings

Stuck Writing? 35 Sure-Fire Copywriting Tips & Tricks from the Pros | Inbound & Content Marketing Hub

Copywriting tips from David Ogilvy. | The Dog & Pony Show

David Ogilvy on Headlines - 5 Tips to a Perfect Headline
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Every now and then I return to Bencivenga Bullets, and always learn something new from them.

Marketing Bullets

But this kind of copywriting is geared towards sales letters, not normal content for blogs or websites. Unless you have your own products to sell, that kind of sales copy would probably be overkill, even for product descriptions on affiliate sites. (I believe we're supposed to pre-sell, not sell.)

As for the printed copy to catch errors, yep, I think it probably would be useful. I just run everything through Word's spell checker.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread