...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    NoCache meta tag
    Rereading:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/searc...on-163835.html

We've sparingly used the "nocache" meta tag - but now, we're considering using it on all product pages. Users think they're savvy and are viewing cached pages in the SERPs and clicking through inactive/deactivated merchants/product links.

Anyone else experiencing this or using "nocache" this way?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

All of my links are internal redirects, so it's not an issue for me. The cached page would link to my site.com/g/whatever, which would redirect to the (current) affiliate link.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Michael, for sharing.

Unfortunately, that won't work with our setup...

The other thing this does is it allows me to track clicks, so I can keep track of the most popular items.

Another thing I do is pass a "source" id in the u1/sid/etc field so I can track sales back to the traffic source.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    The other thing this does is it allows me to track clicks, so I can keep track of the most popular items.

Another thing I do is pass a "source" id in the u1/sid/etc field so I can track sales back to the traffic source.
    Tracking we have covered...

Frances Mary Krug
    I think that you could handle this via htaccess instead of putting it as a meta tag on every page, unless it's only product pages you want this on, not every page in your site?
    Last edited by Frances Mary Krug; June 20th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances Mary Krug View Post
    I think that you could handle this via htaccess instead of putting it as a meta tag on every page, unless it's only product pages you want this on, not every page in your site?
    Only product pages. That's where the affiliate links are...

Frances Mary Krug
    Convergence -- you answered while I was off looking for more info on this topic (it's an interesting one). Here's what I found.

This might be called no archive instead of no cache now, but I'm not sure if it really matters.

Also, it seems that IE might need a slightly different solution -- check out How to prevent caching in Internet Explorer at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234067/EN-US

If your site is in Wordpress, there is a good plugin to handle this kind of thing as well.

We can do it easily enough - one of the easiest things out there

Last line of my original thread are the answers I'm looking for:

Anyone else experiencing this or using "nocache" this way?

Cache control is best handled in htaccess, assigning Expires by filetype. A metatag similar to "nocache" used to be recognized many moons ago (in NetscapeNavigator only) but it is not a valid way to prevent caching. Today's equivalent is noarchive after the index, follow tags. The problem with using that is that it blanket assigns "nocache" to everything meaning that every .js, .css, background image, logo and other repeated files used on every page needs to use server resources on every page load. It hurts your page speed and hurts your mobile friendly status. For those and other reasons, it is best to address caching via htaccess using E-tags (Expiry tags). There are several formats you can use, here is one example:

#cache html and htm files for one day
    <FilesMatch ".(html|htm)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=43200"
    </FilesMatch>
    It really is best if you read about this individually rather than copy and paste an example, it might not do what you want done nor cover the filetypes you want to limit. Search for E-tags and find the best way to do what you want to do.

Keep in mind that there currently is a little dust being kicked up by people who have been hurt for blocking bots from css files because they are used to determine whether your site is mobile friendly.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread