Convergence - Curious Minds Want to Know...
    Convergence, what is it that you don't like about CJ? I see that notice in your signature all of the time, but I don't know why you don't like them.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    Convergence, what is it that you don't like about CJ? I see that notice in your signature all of the time, but I don't know why you don't like them.
    Is he out here to recruit merchants for Linkshare or Shareasale
    Last edited by kayundi; May 16th, 2014 at 04:33 AM.

As an OPM, I don't like CJ but I'm stuck with them. No customer service unless it's a kid still in college. They love to promote affiliates that make them money over those that truly work for their money - meaning they love toolbars. Their definition of compliance is a joke. If it makes them money, its good.

I don't like their interface. I don't like their reporting. I don't like the thousands of useless third world affiliate applications. I don't like their fees.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Greg covered it - and then some.

I would prefer merchants leave CJ and go somewhere other than LinkShare...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

5. Thanks From:

I haven't worked with Linkshare in years. I like CJ better than Linkshare.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

7. Thanks From:

If we take ethics off the table, and look at it from only an affiliate's view of functionality - the networks with better data feed handling are not necessarily the better networks. CJ and LinkShare both have pluses over their competitors when it comes to data feed handling - but neither are a good network in any other aspect - that's where their competitors are the better choice: Ethics...

I know Shareasale has the better reputation, but I find their tools clumsy and the site hard to navigate. I guess it is a matter of what you are used to, and most of my gripes are about small issues, but, for example, when I pull up "my merchant's list" I don't expect to see merchants that have declined my application. Stuff like that drives me a little crazy. That is where I appreciate CJ and Linkshare (some of the tools), but yeah, when talking ethics, they lose.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Although - that new Link tool that CJ designed totally sucks.
    leeann

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    leeann, you can remove all the declined SAS merchants from your list with one click.

On CJ, not sure which "new link tool" you mean. As to the link generator, I have yet to find a single merchant that has that activated, but the new "Link" tab is a big improvement in finding ready-built links.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Every time one of my primary merchants closes on CJ and migrates to Pepperjam, I jump up on my desk and do an irish jig.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Every time one of my primary merchants closes on CJ and migrates to Pepperjam, I jump up on my desk and do an irish jig.
    Is that a good thing David?

I dislike the fact that feeds are csv and take forever to download...
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    leeann, you can remove all the declined SAS merchants from your list with one click.

On CJ, not sure which "new link tool" you mean. As to the link generator, I have yet to find a single merchant that has that activated, but the new "Link" tab is a big improvement in finding ready-built links.
    Didn't know you could remove declined merchants - thanks! But still, where is the logic of having them show up at all under "my merchants"? As far as CJ goes, I am talking about the Link tab. I find it quirky. When I put in a specific product from a specific merchant I get zero returned. It is probably a user problem, but I've tried all kinds of different approaches and when there is no specific product, I get links, but it takes forever to scroll to the end.
    leeann

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Exactly - I've always had those problems with the "Links" tab. The "Get Links" tab is much more reliable, especially with products that have an sku - use that to get the link for a specific product from a specific merchant. (The "links" tab will work that way for some merchants.)
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    I know Shareasale has the better reputation, but I find their tools clumsy and the site hard to navigate. I guess it is a matter of what you are used to...
    I think there's something to be said for that, certainly. I'm a lot more comfortable with ShareASale's UI - I fly through it. I do get stuck sometimes and have to figure out where something is, but most of the time once I find it, it's like "oh duh, I should have realized that".

CJ, on the other hand... I haven't used them nearly as much, so finding anything at all is a pain.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    If we take ethics off the table, and look at it from only an affiliate's view of functionality - the networks with better data feed handling are not necessarily the better networks. CJ and LinkShare both have pluses over their competitors when it comes to data feed handling - but neither are a good network in any other aspect - that's where their competitors are the better choice: Ethics...
    For me, ethics is the primary consideration, which is why I prefer the other networks. When I work with CJ or LinkShare, I know that some percent of my sales will be siphoned off by "compliant" toolbars, scummy coupon sites, cookie stuffers, shopping cart poachers, trademark bidders, and the like. In addition, many of the merchants on those networks have practices that are not affiliate friendly. And many are managed by the networks, which is a conflict of interests.

That said, I'm a realist and I'll work with merchants on the networks (and accept all the negatives that go along with that) if it's still worthwhile to me and I have no other choice. If you want to work with certain (or all) brands, that's just what you have to do.

But increasingly, I'm going in directions where I *DO* have a choice, and am choosing merchants on my preferred networks. And I actively try to get merchants to switch to those networks, sometimes successfully.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

To be fair, certain programs on ShareASale are overrun with trademark bidders. The Gordian Project for instance... Personally, I like networks where I make the most money. CJ is still my #1 network by revenue by a factor of 2, followed by LinkShare and ShareASale. My EPC's are a bit better on ShareASale than CJ or LinkShare, but not by much. Probably just because there are two merchants on ShareASale in a particular niche with competitive pricing.

I really don't like the direction CJ is going, but I make a lot of money through them still. I'm a vocal critic because I want CJ to change. I make too much from them to sit idly by and watch them implode.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

21. Thanks From:

True, and there are different downsides with the smaller merchants that you typically find on the more ethical networks. Many have poor-converting web sites, which can be as big of a factor as all the unethical siphoning that is prevalent on the big two.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    I dislike the fact that feeds are csv and take forever to download...
    Right-click on the download feed button and copy link location to paste into your browser. Change "comma" to "tab" and hit GO. I'm not sure if other formats can be retrieved this way, but you can get in touch with someone from PJ (unlike other network folk, they answer phones and emails and solve problems without giving a runaround) to find out
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Right-click on the download feed button and copy link location to paste into your browser. Change "comma" to "tab" and hit GO. I'm not sure if other formats can be retrieved this way, but you can get in touch with someone from PJ (unlike other network folk, they answer phones and emails and solve problems without giving a runaround) to find out
    Think Mr. Bob meant to say:

"I dislike the fact that feeds are text/not compressed and take forever to download."

Checked with them after PJ was bought by eBay - said they were working on offering compressed/zip feeds for download - no ETA...

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread