(Fashion industry affiliate) DataFeedR, PopShops, Sellfire, or ... ?
    Hello everyone,

I went through a bunch of threads comparing Datafeedr, Popshops, Sellfire (and all the other relevant ones...) but I couldn't really find the answers to my questions, so I thought I might reach out to you again! The answers on previous threads are not precise enough to decide and choose between each (without getting bad surprises once you're in).

I launched my affiliate blog + shop a month ago and it's been quite challenging on several aspects. I've been using Datafeedr and I think due to the particularities of my business, things have been harder. Basically, I created a luxury curation site of the top designer products on sale on the web. So far I have handpicked over 4000 products on sale from the high-end fashion merchants.

My questions are linked to the main issues I have now.

- Which one has the best Search engine?
    The filters are great in DataFeedr and allow you to pick a LOT of options (price range, brand, on sale, product #, merchants, etc.)

However, I find it very odd that you have to go into each category and sub-category, choose to add products and THEN, you do the research and add products to the category. Would be so much easier to just search products and then choose the category you want them in.

Also, in the search results, there is no mention if a product is already in your store or not. There's no way to do an in-store search (except on your site maybe) and search among products that you haven't added yet.

There is no way to look for "new arrivals" or sort items by time they where added. Since seasonality is key in fashion (+ if I just work on sales), it's a real issue. Especially, if I can't see the products I already added to the store (it would help determine what's left, and I could work around the issue like that).

- What is the flexibility to customize each product description & info?
    Datafeedr allows to change pretty much everything about a product description.

- Any of them offer to display (along with salesprice and full price) the sale %?

- How often do you have to deal with 'technical issues'? Servers down, feeds updates taking too long, delay between the actual update and the update on your store, buggs, etc..

- Is Popshops 'better' now that they are under Rakuten? Any major changes? I've read a few complaints about how it was hard to use + customer service.
    One thing about Datafeedr, they have a KILLER customer service + forum. You are 1000% sure to get an answer on the forum 24/7.

- Does Popshops have more access to Linkshare programs since there are both Rakuten's companies?

- Do you know which one has more high-end advertisers?

- Which one is really the best for SEO? I have a hard time understanding that part with pages referencing, duplicate content, etc

- How do they deal with currency? Is there a way to harmonize it and have only one?

- Overall, what would you advise?

I guess there's no perfect tool but I'd like to know what's easier to use for me and any other business who wants to do real high-end / fashion curation on a bigger scale. All these details are crucial in the long-run.

MANY thanks for your time and your help!
    Looking forward to discussing it with you.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    The problems you seek answers to are not necessarily due to using a feed aggregation service - but the networks and merchants themselves. Garbage in - Garbage out. The networks either don't "ask" for specific data in their feed structure, the merchants don't provide it, or both. No datafeed aggregation service will be everything - no network will be everything.

Some of your questions can be resolved with a custom solution, turning you into a programmer as well as a marketer.

We don't use a feed aggregation service - we process each merchant's feed ourselves. Perhaps others who do use aggregation services can offer some tips on the individual services...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I am also moving away from these feed aggregation services as well, I finding that Big G are slowing sending less and less traffic to these type of sites. My sites that have my own custom built databases works much better.

And before any one ask, Yes I have lots of original content on every page, I also clean up and change the wording in the product titles (Popshops allows you to do this) and I do not use the product description provided by the merchant.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Can Big G tell you are coming from those sites or is it because the standard feed is duplicate content?

In my case the links point directly to Popshops and then they get redirected a few more times, you do have the option to hide the url to look like it is pointing to your domain but I sure they know it is not.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Can Big G tell you are coming from those sites or is it because the standard feed is duplicate content?
    Bots can tell by outbound link structure...

Hey guys!

Thank you for you kind replies!

@Convergence, I'm not sure I agree with you, as a search engine structure, the ability to customize products information or technical issues depend on the service and not on the network/merchants. Of course, if the information is incorrect or incomplete on their side, the search results won't be useful for example, but I was really asking about the ergonomic side of the search engine.

What kind of custom solution do you use? Does it mean I still need to use the service, but for example subscribe to the API and customize it (I was not sure Datafeedr API was a better option)?

@Kse, you don't use them anymore at all? When you say it's much better without it, is it easier to deal with?

Just out of curiosity, how many items in average do you have on your sites?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrokeCurator View Post

@Kse, you don't use them anymore at all? When you say it's much better without it, is it easier to deal with?
    I still have a few sites using them but I moving away from these services and replacing it with my own Database driven site.

In the past I was 50 Popshops/50 Database now it around 30 Popshops/70 Database and in the coming year I expect Popshops percentage to keep getting lower.

We process the feeds directly from each network and/or merchant (in the case of any indy programs).

Number of products? Millions...

10. Thanks From:

Alright.

Thanks guys!
    I was hoping I could get more info about the services to be able to take an objective decision but I'll try to get some more info here and there. Thanks for your help!

Based on what you want to do it's doubtful a feed service can meet your expectations. Is why "custom" was brought up...

Well, as I said in my initial post, I wasn't expecting someone to come up with the perfect feed service. It would have been helpful to have answers to those precise points to at least have an intermediary solution. Custom take time and resources that I don't necessarily have right now.
    But thanks for the tip, I'll start working on it.

Affiliate marketing requires time and patience.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

15. Thanks From:

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread