Affiliate Summit East First timer
    Hey all, attending ASE14 this year in NYC. Will be my first major event. I'm running an affiliate program and want to use the event to learn and network with marketers.

Any advice? Anyone else going? Any information I should have?

Thanks,
    Dan

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Hey Dan, that's great news! Yes, there are a bunch of us going and some of us are speaking too.

Depending on your type of pass, you may be able to join the Newcomer's Program and be assigned a mentor to help you make the most of your first Summit.

Some tips I always like to share with first-timers:
    - take plenty of business cards. Make sure one side is not coated stock, so people can write notes on the back. Take plenty, at least 200 or more.
    - be friendly all the time, and don't be afraid to start conversations with others who are also wearing a badge from Summit.
    - don't assume that the color coding on a badge is correct when deciding who to speak with or not. Many people do more than one thing within the industry, so they can help you in one of their other roles, or they mis-categorized themselves upfront, and are actually who you want to meet with.
    - look for every opportunity to network - in the elevator, during meals, even waiting in taxi lines. Attend all of the networking events, like the cocktail hours, SAS party, newcomers session Sunday morning, etc.
    - this is a business about relationships. Always be polite, never hurtful, and honest above all. Your reputation will remain with you throughout the coming years, and being a good friend at all times to others will stand you well. For example, even when friends I've met can't work with me on something, I frequently get referrals from others because it's the right thing to do to match someone up with me. I reciprocate as well.

Feel free to ask questions to us old-timers as well. I've sort of lost count, but I think this is my 18th Summit.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi Dan,

For all first timers, the Affiliate Summit Newcomer Program is a great way to get the lay of the land and get introduced to some of the veterans attending. See what Chuck wrote about this last year here, and here is a link to this year's program.

Spend as much time as you can in the Meet Market and in the Exhibition Hall, but just hanging around the common areas outside the Exhibit Hall and meeting rooms, and after hours in the hotel bar and lounge areas are also opportunities to meet new people. Anyone with an AS credential around their neck is fair game to go up to and start a conversation. But one word of advice - don't push your program as an opening. Rather, ask about them and then tell them about yourself, especially that you're a first timer. There will be a spot in any friendly conversation to describe your program.

Evening parties are also one of the best ways to meet new people. The Shareasale party held on Sunday evening is an absolute must and all AS attendees are welcome. Also, on Monday evening, Affiliate Karaoke is is a casual gathering and great time to get acquianted with others.

Before ASW14, Eric Nagel wrote a great blog post on preparing for Summit, with links to articles with even more tips - take a look at Non-Conference Things You Should Know About Affiliate Summit.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

4. Thanks From:

Great advice from Jeannine, who is a real affiliate marketing industry pro.

I wrote while she was posting so there is some duplication, but that should reinforce the importance of those suggestions.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

That's all great advice, thank you both so much.

I don't have the VIP pass that allows me to get a mentor but I do plan on attending all the parties you mentioned and just generally being as available and outgoing as possible.

Is it worth the money to stay at the hotel the conference is being hosted at? From what I've read, it makes a much better experience and allows more networking, but it's pricey.

ABSOLUTELY - the cost is worth it to stay at the conference hotel. Don't waste time walking between hotels, and if that cheaper hotel is a cab ride away (remember, it could rain) the total cost could turn out higher. Being there and rubbing elbows all through the hotel is invaluable, and don't forget those late-night confabs in the lounge that are only an elevator ride from your room.

You are taking a great first step by pre-networking. It's so nice to run into someone at the conference and see their nametag and be able to say "Hi! I know you from ABW!" That's basically how I met almost everyone the first time that I went. As it gets closer people will be posting here a lot about when they are speaking, which parties they are going to, who is having a booth, etc. Take notes and then make sure you find all of us in those places because we will be delighted to meet you.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

9. Thanks From:

Alright, definitely getting the room in the Marriott then. Thanks again for all the great advice. Looking forward to this board getting buzzing as August rolls around!

We're getting buzzy now!

Set up some meetings with people you meet here on ABW!
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Have an elevator speech rehearsed as to what your site is about and what you offer affiliates. Don't try to close a deal with an affiliate just get them interested, give them a card and ask for one in return. Approach people who's title you aren't familiar with and ask them what they do. Then shut up and listen.

Take some time to troll the table tops and booths to better understand the market place. There is a lot of stuff you don't want to work with so its a matter of finding what is right for you. Talk to the networks and ask what they do different.

ABW will have a meetup and that's a great way to met people from all aspects of the business.

Attend all Keynotes as you will learn a lot.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Hey Dan -

You can see a video of a first timer orientation session I gave at the last Affiliate Summit at First Timers Orientation at Affiliate Summit West 2014 - YouTube

If you message me with your mailing address, I'll send you a copy of "How to Get the Most Out of Attending a Conference".
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread