Which Would You Prefer? More Comm. or More Return Days?
    Which would you prefer?

3% comm w/ 30 return days or 5% comm. w/ 15 return days?

Both offers are lousy, but which offer is better in the long run? A few more percentage points or double the return days?

OR what about this one?

25% and one return day compared to 8% and 60 return days.

Is there some formula that would help figure this out?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    For us it's dependent on the merchant and product being sold...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    For us it's dependent on the merchant and product being sold...
    Well that's very true. The first example is real. It is WineEnthst. and Wine.com (Wine.com has the 15 return days) and the other example I just made up, so let's say they are both nationally known internet security software companies.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Wow, WineEnthusiast is down to 3%? They were one of my top merchants before they fired CA affiliates. At one time I was getting 8%, but I think their standard commission was 6% - so it's 1/2 that now.

Back to the question - it really revolves around the type of product - the bigger the ticket the more time consumers take to compare and decide. Inexpensive items I'll take the higher commission, the higher the price, the longer the return time, even at the expense of the rate.

For "internet security software" (not one of my niches), I'd have to think customers will spend time comparing products so longer return days might be the way to go. It's also not an impulse item.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

WineEnthst. and I fired each other. They don't like coupon sites anymore. With 3% it doesn't look like they like any affiliates anymore. I really hope Wine.com gets their business (despite the crappy commission) and from the looks of the search results it is already happening. WineEnthst. doesn't even show up on the first page of search for the term "online wine stores" or for "wine clubs," which is ok w/ me.
    leeann

The difference between 3% commissions and 5% commissions is HUGE. That's almost double.

The difference between a 15 day cookie and a 30 day cookie isn't much. Most sales will happen the same day. A good chunk will happen within 15 days. Some happen after that, but it's not a lot. By that point, the customer probably isn't coming back. And in all fairness, if they do come back the affiliate probably had very little to do with it (unless there's another click, in which case the cookie starts over).

Here's a good blog entry about it:

https://www.affclicks.com/blog/commi...cookie-length/

Also, Geno has a good analysis of how long that cookie actually stays on the customer's computer:

Cookie Retention Study Reveals Important Data « Affiliate Marketing Blog by Geno Prussakov

A smart merchant will offer a long cookie duration, because it doesn't really cost them much and it gains quite a bit of good will with affiliates.

But if I have to choose between a good commission and a long cookie duration, I'll choose the commission almost every time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks From:

I want both.....

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

10. Thanks From:

It's easier for me to move the commission than it is the cookies. But I do pay a lot more for wine clubs.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread