Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Has Absolute Value Overtaken the Importance of Branding?
    Itamar Simonson is a Professor of Marketing at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business, and Emanuel Rosen is an author who has previously worked in the software and advertising industries. They are the co-authors of "Absolute Value: What Really Influences Customers in the Age of (Nearly) Perfect Information" and they have written several articles on the same subject matter, which boils down to their thesis that branding no longer carries the importance it once did in today's marketplace, which is now fueled by consumer reviews. Successful marketers, they conclude, are those who understand this and who change their marketing strategies accordingly.

Simonson and Rosen have developed what they call the "Influence Mix", a balance of factors that influence the purchasing decisions of potential customers. They believe that the “absolute value” provided by such reviews is is now key, lessening the importance of traditional marketing elements including branding.

You can read more from Simonson and Rosen on the American Marketing Association site, and on the Harvard Business Review.

Note: These are membership sites and only portions of the articles are available to non-members.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

time to register some "reviews" domain names.
    The internet is a fad.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Ah, but where are consumers getting their "reviews"?

Spammy sites or a good, solid, BRANDED review site?

Makes one's head hurt, doesn't it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

You probably have to buy the book to be able to drill down to the source material, but it seems that the authors are just lumping all consumer reviews together for their conclusions.

My impression is that they have put Amazon customer reviews and other ecommerce sites on equal footing with "review" sites.

My head's been hurting for about seven years now.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Maybe I'm just a little different.

I have merchants that I prefer to shop with. If I find a product on their site that I need additional assurances before buying, I will go looking for reviews.

In the end, once I've decided to buy, I do so from my original merchant. So, for example: The product is on Walmart but I've read reviews on Amazon and a multitude of other sites with reviews - I'll go back and buy from Walmart.

That's for a retailer "brand" - For roduct "Brand", ie: HP, Apple, etc - I will still buy from my favorite "Brand" retailer - no matter where I read the reviews...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

7. Thanks From:

No, Convergence, I totally agree. Where you find the reviews can be and often is irrelevant to where you make the purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of people who search online for reviews and then buy from a B & M.

9. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In the last year Google moved from keywords to semantic search. Now we're hearing that brand isn't as important as reviews. So will G now give more emphasis on reviews?

Can say that I have seen successful affiliate incorporate reviews into their sites as the merchants were doing a lame job. I, myself rely heavily on reviews before I purchase if I am not up to speed on the product.

Banned
    The power of correct branding is never going anywhere in my opinion. However this is absolutely amazing (the read). Is it not true? At the same time from my assessment of myself yesterday I realized that what really matters these days is if its hot I'm going to make my own decision even if there are no reviews. What if you're like me in search of the next big thing at all times? Independent thinkers don't depend on reviews at all times. I believe purchasing is more impulse driven and good price driven then ever along with value driven. Branding on every level never dies? Right???

It all depends on what I am buying and how much I am spending. I have little faith in many of the products now available, especially in the electronic and appliance categories. There is so much crossover in manufacturing, it's difficult to really know what you are buying. But for sure, the higher the ticket, the more I research my purchase. Once I decide to buy, I'll go to the retailers that I like the best and who generally have the best customer services and policies.

I also look for free shipping..lol.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread