Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazon Wins Patent for Taking Pictures Against a White Background
    Amazon wins patent for taking photos against a white background. What!? - AGBeat

Read it and weep. Stupid & evil is as stupid and evil does. The applicants (all photographers) should hang their heads in shame for claiming this technique as an "invention."

Here's the patent: United States Patent: 8676045
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

That isn't good.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    My fore father created the period that not only is used for punctuation but also heavily in mathematics. We are going to use the royalties to pay off the national debt and create a stairway to heaven.

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Stupid, just stupid.

Our Government hard at work...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Being a mad, conspiracy-theorist nut, I could go to town on this, but I think I've caused enough controversy for the time being.

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There are companies that go after ridiculous patents like this as reported in the news in the last six months. Last I heard they were losing money but occasionally win a case that makes them rich.

This is precisely why we need more people like Winston Shrout. The legal system is wide open to abuse. Winston would wipe the floor with these rogue law firms that file frivilous suits and cause so much misery and suffering.

when I was selling some things online, I took pictures of the items arranged on a piece of white posterboard.

so I have prior rights to white background pictures. too bad for the rest of you!
    The internet is a fad.

I just bought some equipment from Amazon to take pictures on a white background. Drats. Now they know where to find me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by gibson View Post
    when I was selling some things online, I took pictures of the items arranged on a piece of white posterboard.

so I have prior rights to white background pictures. too bad for the rest of you!
    Actually, it appears that you, and anyone else, may continue to do so.
    I skimmed the patent specs and it looks like (remember, IANAL) Amazon patented a VERY specific manner in which their subjects are photographed. It would be difficult to exactly reproduce that method - and I can see the same results being obtained with hundreds of variations. So it would be very difficult to prove anyone else is duplicating their setup.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Bill, ordinarily, I would agree. My other concerns:
    • Is this patent to "test the waters"?
    • Will this open the floodgates for all sorts of quasi-inventive technique patents by unscrupulous photographers & studios?
    • Will photography studios who would use this type of technique (for example, jewelry / catalog item photographers) have to document their procedures to show compliance in case of a possible lawsuit?
    • If this does open the floodgates, how many small businesses will be ruined before this stops?
    • What "techniques" in other industries will be allowed to patent their "invention"?
    Most of these are long-term issues, certainly not lethal now. It's just that there are so many worm cans that can be opened...just 'cause they can. IMHO, this patent is one of them, no matter how innocuous it seems to be.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; May 27th, 2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Mind overloaded from strenuous multi-tasking at an old age.
    Renée

15. Thanks From:

your team of lawyers can argue that you were entrapped! or they tricked you! or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I just bought some equipment from Amazon to take pictures on a white background. Drats. Now they know where to find me.
    The internet is a fad.

ABW Ambassador
    Much ado about nothing, basic link bait. Whoever Guest was, took apart some of it in the comments.

Yikes, never saw the comments. I'm on an old computer, old browsers, so some things don't load or work correctly any more. Just tried another browser & though it took time to load, finally saw the comments. TY!

I will have peaceful dreams tonight, all against a seamless white background, suitably lighted with strategic light sources on an elevated platform.
    Renée

Why would this thread be featured? I wanted it to be deleted!
    Renée

Amazon Wins Patent for Taking Pictures Against a White Background.
    Let them take the White Background.

If according to new technology there are millions of colors out there, like the ones on a tv screen, who cares about a single lousy White Background color?

Why would this thread be featured? I wanted it to be deleted!
    Before it gets deleted I will say this:

There are more colors to patent, than people reading this... So everyone should pick a different color, and get a new patent for yourselves...

I'M taking the Brown Background, color!

Example:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, Mr.Sal, the title of that article is little more than "Link Bait" and it is apparently working. The author's claim to fame is her Masters Degree in English. While that may give her a way-with-words to keep her employed it certainly didn't give her much knowledge of patents or photography.

Meanwhile, with that said, I'll take the black background. LOL

Yes, my photo - of one Mrs. Beachy's Christmas Cactus blooms. You wouldn't believe my "Studio Arrangement."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

That's a nice picture. It reminds me, when I announced going to Thailand five years ago, Purply tasked me with locating the legendary Thai 'parrot' flower.
    I actually never forgot, and asked many people over the years, but never got anywhere near locating it.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The effect of and the danger associated with this patent are yet to be determined. On photography blogs and forums, there is much debate going on. Some see it as a looming danger to the field of photography and the freedom of photographers and their licensees to post photos. Some see it as a non-issue, either as being little more than an intellectual exercise on the part of Amazon, not much different from when they patented their "unique" system for the regular, ongoing delivery of certain products (basically for milk, delivered every third day, or so) or applying to an ultra-specific, unique layout that figures to never be duplicated. Many people are saying that the ability to prove that their specific method was utilized in any photo shoot would be virtually impossible.

The next step will be on the part of Amazon as to whether or not they even try to enforce their patent rights, and any such efforts will certainly be newsworthy. It is also possible that someone will file for a re-examination of the issuance of the patent, with the USPTO, which could result in the determination to issue the patent being overturned.

The point is that regardless of what a single commenter had to say, this is a topic of interest, and it will be debated for awhile. As a topic of interest for affiliate marketers and for others in the industry, part of the debate deserves to be on A Best Web.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; May 28th, 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

24. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    The most reasonable explanation I've read, was this just was a defensive move on their part, so nobody would go after them with how they take pictures. In the end, nobody is going to come knocking on your door because you took a pic with a white background. Most of the people didn't even take a look at the patent/claims, it's pretty specific. I don't even see the connection to affiliate marketers you talked about. I've never taken pictures for my sites, especially the specific way they mentioned it. I think it's more for traffic.

Side note, it's ABestWeb, words together.
    Last edited by Trust; May 28th, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

26. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    I've done it both ways for years; guess I need to find out for sure if there is an absolutely, positively right way versus that being the absolutely, positively wrong way.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Yawn. Was that really worthwhile pointing out?

29. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk View Post
    Yawn. Was that really worthwhile pointing out?
    Was your reply? I think it's a bigger deal to you than me or Phil. It's why it was a "side note". While you can separate the words, you'll never see a higher up from Linkshare, call themselves Link Share. It's from a marketing/branding perspective, you want to be consistent. As an affiliate marketer, you should know this.

I don't even see the connection to affiliate marketers you talked about.
    Kidding, right?

I think I've done it subconsciously for style. Not to derail this thread further but earlier today I was listening to a discussion on the radio about how in 1986 the Chicago Black Hawks became the Chicago Blackhawks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast