Popshops and WordPress Questions
    I'm finally getting around to learning WordPress (or trying) and have been wondering how to create a shop that can display nicely on desktop/tablet/phone etc.

After seeing the post about the shortcode [popshops]xxxx[/popshops] I experimented with 2 shops, 2 columns each, side-by-side in divs (one float left, one right) so one shop would move below the other on a phone.

Knowing so little about WordPress so far, am I on the right track? 4 products across on desktop, then 2 across on phone seems to work well. Is there an easier way? I need to revamp all my sites and would love any tips.

Also, I cannot figure out how to "pop" a single product into a post. I tried clicking the plus sign, dragging over - nothing seems to work to get the product into a page. Help needed with that (although doubt I'll use it much if it's not dynamic).

Thank you in advance!

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Not quite sure what you mean, but have you tried setting up a shop to display 1 column, 1 row? That displays only one product.

If you want to automatically display more single products using your keyword, under preferences > Autofeed, select either "Broad" (all merchant categories) or "Narrow" (merchant category you selected item).

Then in "Show navigation" select either top or bottom of page.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thanks Renee, I'm a long time Popshops user, but I'm trying to build something that will look good in a wide or narrow layout. 1 column of products would look strange on a desktop computer. So would 2 columns for that matter.

That's why I inquired if anyone is putting multiple Popshops side by side so they will automatically adjust to the width.

Most of my Popshops have 3 or 4 columns, but since the underlying Popshops code is tables, they don't adjust at all on a smartphone or other small screen.

Have you optimized your sites for mobile? Or do you maintain a separate site for mobile? I'd love to see someone's Popshops that work well on a smartphone. Any examples?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I use a 3-column PS layout on my WP blogs and it looks perfect on iPhones, with no special optimizing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

5. Thanks From:

No, haven't optimized yet as I have a static site w/blog attached. Was hoping PS new version would resolve some of those issues. Static site would need to be recoded from ground up.

Good to know that if you have a responsive WP theme, PS will display properly...TY Phil!
    Renée

Does anyone know how to REMOVE a Popshop from a Wordpress page after having inserted it via the plug-in?

I can't figure it out!

And which way is best for inserting shops ...
    1) plug in
    2) short code
    3) manually add PHP or javascript code?

I read somewhere that the Advanced Text plugin will accept PHP code but haven't tried it yet.

ABW Ambassador
    On my WordPress site, I manually add the PHP shop code directly to my blog post pages. You do this just like you would on a standard html/php page. I felt that was the best way to go since sometimes plugins break with WP updates. The plugins author/developer may take their time on fixing broken plugins leaving you without options.

I've never had any issues with adding the php shop code directly to the pages.

I hope that helps.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
    On my WordPress site, I manually add the PHP shop code directly to my blog post pages. You do this just like you would on a standard html/php page. I felt that was the best way to go since sometimes plugins break with WP updates. The plugins author/developer may take their time on fixing broken plugins leaving you without options.

I've never had any issues with adding the php shop code directly to the pages.

I hope that helps.
    That's the way I've always done it with PS. I remember searching for a good plug in and never finding one. Conversely, for Sellfire, I used their plugin that worked fine until it blew up and crashed three of my sites a few days ago. No more datafeed aggregator plugins, ever.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

10. Thanks From:

msladybug, since PHP code won't run without some sort of plug in, do you know which one you're using? I tried 2 today and couldn't figure out how to use either one (I'm really new to WP). Once you install and activate, isn't there supposed to be some icon that helps you use that plug in?

Some of the WP things are not very intuitive. I'd like the additional SEO benefits of using the PHP code but may just give up and use javascript pretty soon.

Thanks everyone.

I use Shortcode Exec PHP. You don't have to disable the Visual Editor to use it. Just paste in your Popshops PHP code (without the opening / closing php tag), assign a shortcode and paste in your post.
    Renée

13. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    joyaz - Do you currently have something that looks like the below in your .htaccess file?

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .htm
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html

It may look a bit different than the above.

Then see this post regarding the WP plugin:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1001752-post38.html

You might want to have a look at that entire thread.

I guess I had not properly activated the "Advanced Text Widget" so now I can just paste PHP code into a page and it works!

I've been evaluating Dreamweaver CC vs. WordPress for building responsive sites and so far WordPress seems much easier.

Child CSS themes were giving me fits in WP (couldn't get them to work) until I discovered the "edit CSS" feature of Jetpack. So I'll continue my journey into WordPress for now.

Any good recommendations on Google Adsense widgets and is anyone using the new responsive ads?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread