Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Five Attribution Models for 2014's Customer Journey
    Attibution is such a hot topic these days, so I wanted to share this article, Five Attribution Models for 2014's Customer Journey by Affiliate Window's Matt Swan.

It's a good background piece explaining each type of approach; hopefully if you are considering attribution for your program, or working with a program using attribution, this can help you understand some of the metrics behind the payout segmentation.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

2. Thanks From:

Very insightful article! I'm not surprised that 80-90% of affiliate sales had only one affiliate click.

I also agree with the conclusion that last click is easiest and probably best. One of my big concerns with multi-attribution is that the complexities will undervalue affiliates and can be prone to error and manipulation. One early adopter of multi-attribution would manually go through all affiliate sales and look at all touch points. That AM was very technically adept and ethical and it worked well. But when he left, his replacement wasn't as technical and it didn't work well. They've now been through several AMs and the program is in shambles, IMHO. Multi-attribution is overly complex.

I know last click probably isn't as accurate as a complex multi-attribution model that takes into consideration every touch point, engagement, elapsed time, and future value of customers, but it's an extremely simple and fairly close approximation in most cases.

I would prefer to see multi-attribution be used as an after-the-fact analysis to identify affiliates (and/or affiliate models) that are more or less valuable to the merchant, to help justify commission increases for the more valuable affiliates and perhaps cuts, prohibitions and/or terminations for those models that don't provide real value.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    At Affiliate Window, we've already added a functionality we call "assists" to our interface, so that merchants can see which sales each affiliate helped with as well as the ones they received credit for, so we already do have after-the-fact analysis too. It's proven quite valuable in seeing who does what!

We actually have a team which constantly monitors things exactly like this. Their sole job is to spot and analyze trends. They love to crunch data - glad it's them and not me! But they are great at it!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

5. Thanks From:

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread