Rugby World Cup 2015
    Hi,

This is my first post on this website.

I have given this thought and I think this could work for next years rugby world cup in England.

I want to create an affiliate website regarding this event. I want to have other information regarding venues, teams, fixtures and results. Then the affiliate marketing part I want to have links to ticket selling websites if people want to buy tickets for the games, or maybe buy tickets for other events like theater productions. I also want to have accommodation on the website with links to booking sites. Then I want to have other affiliate links on my website. So basically I won't be selling anything, I just want to point people in the right direction.

Is something like this legal for a rugby world cup event? I just want to stay on the legal side of things, I don't want to break any trademark rules.

Am I allowed to use the words rugby world cup 2015, world cup 2015, etc? Am I allowed to have these words in my url? This is part of my SEO, people are going to search for rugby world cup 2015 and other combinations of these words. Am I allowed to have the world cup logo on my website?

I would appreciate any advice regarding my idea.

Regards
    Brendan
    South Africa

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bioluminescence View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post on this website.

I have given this thought and I think this could work for next years rugby world cup in England.

I want to create an affiliate website regarding this event. I want to have other information regarding venues, teams, fixtures and results. Then the affiliate marketing part I want to have links to ticket selling websites if people want to buy tickets for the games, or maybe buy tickets for other events like theater productions. I also want to have accommodation on the website with links to booking sites. Then I want to have other affiliate links on my website. So basically I won't be selling anything, I just want to point people in the right direction.

Is something like this legal for a rugby world cup event? I just want to stay on the legal side of things, I don't want to break any trademark rules.

Regards
    Brendan
    South Africa
    All good.

Am I allowed to use the words rugby world cup 2015, world cup 2015, etc? Am I allowed to have these words in my url? This is part of my SEO, people are going to search for rugby world cup 2015 and other combinations of these words. Am I allowed to have the world cup logo on my website?
    Not so good. Logo is not permitted without the permission of the organisers but a simple image of say, a Rugby Ball is fine. The words "World Cup" are trademarked so again permission from the governing body is needed. For paid search no problem on "Buy Rugby World Cup Tickets" "Book Your Rugby World Cup Hotel".

The url may not contain trademarked terms. So domains that are acceptable like for example rugbyhotels.co.uk is available but the .com is parked. Equally RugbyTickets.London is also available, the other TLD's already taken.

I assume the Rugby World Cup will be at Twickenham? If so the rugbytickets.london may be worth getting if also planning a big social media drive to get the domain recognised.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

3. Thanks From:

Rugby World Cup 2015

Yes it is at Twickenham. So a London domain is so very cool Britannia and would go well with the tourists.

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/doma...n=rugbytickets for a list of available rugbytickets domains which includes pre-order on the .London domain

They even have rugbytickets.agency and rugbyhotels.agency available

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Bio - I'd do my homework on the trademark restrictions. Just to give you an idea of what you might be dealing with, here is what marketers have to deal with with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...g_17052013.pdf

For example, here is a list of protected terms that are restricted from use in domains, creative, etc. without licensing/written permission when it comes to commercial ventures (like affiliate marketing)

• 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil
    • 2014 FIFA World Cup
    • FIFA World Cup
    • FIFA
    • World Cup
    • 2014 World Cup
    • World Cup 2014
    • Brazil 2014
    • 2014 Brazil
    • Football World Cup
    • Soccer World Cup
    • Copa 2014
    • Copa do Mundo
    • Mundial 2014
    • Mundial de Futebol Brasil 2014
    • Copa do Mundo 2014
    • HOST CITY names + 2014 for each of the host cities (e.g. Rio 2014,
    etc.)

I don't know if Rugby is nearly as tight, but we have to deal with this at Fanatics with all major sports championship events.

It's great that you're asking these questions by the way. Always better to do your research and even consult with an attorney with experience in trademark law that can read guidelines like this and give you some good advice than to go afoul of them and get some Cease and Desist orders or worse.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

7. Thanks From:

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread