A new TRAVEL sub-forum, eh?
    It's been a very busy weekend - Flag Day, Father's Day and a major East Coast air show over the beach in our local resort town - so I just now saw this new section. In honor of Flag Day, let me present this photo of a unique way to open a show. A Navy SEAL "Leapfrog" proudly displayed The Colors to the playing of our National Anthem.

Travel has been good to us for quite a while. I sold our first online hotel reservation in March, 2000, and the most recent one this morning.

One tip to share: We use our own photos of local events (example above) to help maintain interest in our niche travel/destination websites.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

2. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It's been a very busy weekend - Flag Day, Father's Day and a major East Coast air show over the beach in our local resort town - so I just now saw this new section. In honor of Flag Day, let me present this photo of a unique way to open a show. A Navy SEAL "Leapfrog" proudly displayed The Colors to the playing of our National Anthem.

Travel has been good to us for quite a while. I sold our first online hotel reservation in March, 2000, and the most recent one this morning.

One tip to share: We use our own photos of local events (example above) to help maintain interest in our niche travel/destination websites.
    Hello Bill,

.... from the Netherlands.
    with that surname ( Swartwout ) Dutch ancestors ?

Nice photograph. But regarding to your tip .... this photograph looks rather
    professional, not only technical, but also in terms of composition.
    not possible for all of us.
    I write about travel, but am no longer mobile. Was a tourleader, long time ago.

Our experience in Holland : Google is not supporting with a nice Serp position.
    Some hint ?

Heya Blogwriter. Dutch ancestry? Yes, there's some there. One of "us" sailed with Henry Hudson on the good ship, Half Moon (Halve Maen) and ended up at New Amsterdam, as the "trading post" became a forerunner of NYC. Good enough?

Thank you for the compliment on the photo. While I am not a "working professional" I do have a couple thousand photographs published online - most to illustrate out own travel sites and also many illustrations for real estate agents (that used to pay some bills). I've been looking through a camera for over a half century.

With that said, let me remind you (and anyone reading this) that the "Best camera to have is the one you have with you." I have published many photos that I shot with my iPhone. I even have a couple iPhone shots being printed on checks for one of the major manufacturers.

Also remember that the Internet is a visual medium. Take photos all the time and put just a little bit of care into getting a good position - for composition. Then fine tune the exposure and cropping (composition) in your computer. I use PhotoShop Elements which is relatively inexpensive and is great for digital images. But you can do nearly as well with Google's (free) Picasa. I am in the process of using Picasa for some large groups of photos - and may create an extensive tutorial on how to put cool displays into a working website.

I am also going into semi-retirement mode (hopefully by the end of this year) and plan to concentrate my photography on art - rather than on illustrations.

Here's a night shot I did recently that has been attracting some attention here at the beach...

I actually started a site last week - based on that photograph. Indian River Bridge dot com will develop into site for vacationing in that area but will focus on "local" photography.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

Quote Originally Posted by BlogWriter View Post
    ...Our experience in Holland : Google is not supporting with a nice Serp position.
    Some hint ?
    Oops, sorry, I missed that part in my answer.

Here's a hint: Don't try to optimize for hotels and/or hotel reservations. All the "big guns" and PPC players skim off the majority of that market. Instead, you need to attract readers (via the SERPs) with long-tail results for your niche market(s). Sell your "site" first - then offer up hotels (if that is what you have) to those that land there.

6. Thanks From:

Hi Bill,

I have one (!) Webpage on America ;-) on 600 other vacationpages, and wrote : Hudson in the service of the Dutch VOC in the year 1609 ( Manhattan ) and later Albany. Reasonable coincidence.
    Nice to read that your ancestors were there.

This photo of the Indian River Bridge - a sort of selfie - the 'normal' bridge in the background with the small night picture in your hands, very nice ....
    my browser - page info sais 59 Kb in a format of 650 x 433 px, so, reduced format.
    And back to topic :
    Indeed, internet is a visual medium, but ..... Google (and the mobile websites), demands / require a quick page layout.

I'm using the photosoftware Xara Photo and Graphic Designer, mostly to crop the images to a smaller format ( round edges, circle photograph and so on), jpg to 65% instead of 90.
    Still , having a few more photo's on the page, I let htaccess txt and images packaged in a zip file to keep it small and fast.

Photos that are not immediately necessary, displayed in EasyFancybox by weburl, such as maps.
    But the requirement of Google: 2 seconds page layout is awkward.

A few days earlier I tweeted to Matt Cutts : "a television-screen nowadays is 42 inch or more, why browsing the internet on 10 inch mobile, back to smoke signals ? "
    He didn't answer yet..... no smoke, too much rain

Do you think 65% is sufficient, while maintaining screen quality, or is a smaller format still possible ?

Here's a hint: Don't try to optimize for hotels and/or hotel reservations. All the "big guns" and PPC players skim off the majority of that market. Instead, you need to attract readers (via the SERPs) with long-tail results for your niche market(s). Sell your "site" first - then offer up hotels (if that is what you have) to those that land there.
    you're right !!
    I once worked as a tour guide ( when I was 25 and now 65 ), I write mostly about details of the area, yes: current details , result : Google then classifies you more in the category of wikipedia, wich is "nice to read, where can I find the vouchercode". Why, because registered clickout leads to low sales.
    Still looking for a better conversion such as seen on my webpages about clothes and shoes.

nevertheless, most translation of this .... byGoogle.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread