Datafeed to SQL script? Not price comparison script
    Hello,

Does anyone know of a datafeed to SQL script I can buy/free? It needs to handle multiple affiliate networks and delimiters. I've been looking for ages but always seem to end up at price comparison scripts.

Thank you

So you're looking for a script that can take a datafeed and put it into a database? Is that correct? If so, I guess it's safe to say that it depends on not only the datafeed (what it looks like, etc), but also the database (is it MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc?)

One affiliate put up instructions on how to build your own from the ground up. I read through it a few years ago and it is completely free. I did not use the information myself, but it was not because it didn't seem useful but because I was doing something similar and didn't want to get started on something different. Eric Nagel is well known to a lot of folks at ABW, you can start at step 1 here: Building a Datafeed Site - Step 1 | Eric Nagel

There will probably never be an "out of the box" solution, because there is so much variation. Every network is different, in how you get the files, how they are formatted, what columns are provided, etc. Then each merchant uses them slightly differently, especially with some fields like categories, descriptions, images, stock status, etc. Then how you set up your own database is going to vary depending on how you plan to use the feeds. Indexes, matching, handling of images, links, categories, and how to handle drops will all vary. Plus, after you get things working, the networks and merchants can (and will) make changes.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I looked at Eric's build your own and it looks like it finished abruptly. I think I might just buy a price comparison script and build around it only using it for the datafeed database parsers etc. cheers guys.

Unless it changed since I last looked - admittedly quite awhile ago- he had a download there to give you everything you need. No, you don't get support with a freebie. Like any script, (or even html template) learning the language it uses gives you more complete control. You aren't likely to find something that gives you a designer site using free scripts. They are intended to be a customizable base to prevent cookie cutter sites. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Unless it changed since I last looked - admittedly quite awhile ago- he had a download there to give you everything you need. No, you don't get support with a freebie. Like any script, (or even html template) learning the language it uses gives you more complete control. You aren't likely to find something that gives you a designer site using free scripts. They are intended to be a customizable base to prevent cookie cutter sites. Good luck
    FYI -- I've tried numerous times over the last two days to open the page you've referenced on Eric's site. I'm using the Chrome browser on a Windows machine, and no matter how long I try, it locks up instead of displaying the full page. The browser shows the top half of the page, then locks up tight as a drum. I end up having to kill the browser and start over.

I haven't really tried in another browser. Just wondering what the problem could be using Chrome that it won't display/open Eric's page?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

It's not your browser Gary.

Its this script he has on the page.."Script: http://static.ericnagel.com/wp-content/cache/minify/000000/" I remove the trailing info from it.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence View Post
    It's not your browser Gary.

Its this script he has on the page.."Script: http://static.ericnagel.com/wp-content/cache/minify/000000/" I remove the trailing info from it.
    Thanks for explaining, Bob. Unfortunately, I'm not enough of a coder, nor have I even worked much lately with any sort of scripts, to know what I need to do to open the page in my browser and take advantage of Eric's coding/tutorials on building a datafeed site with his info.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

It asked me to turn on Adobe Flash, but since I just went there to check the link I didn't bother. I saw it was hung on a script and blamed Flash.. oopsy.. makes ya dislike plugins

Hi everyone,

First, thanks for the heads up on my site not loading properly; I've removed the offending plugin (W3 Total Cache)

As for my script, it's OLD but at the bottom of each post in the series, I've put some navigation to each other page. Step 3 in the series has a link to download the zip containing all of the source code.

If you have questions, feel free to ask!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your generosity in sharing that and I'm going to give it a close look. I remember, sort of, when you originally posted the material and linked to it here at ABW. For some reason, though, I never got going on it. (Laziness? Procrastination? Probably both? )

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliates don't procrastinate! We also don't own too many domains, right? (hey, some day I'm going to build a site on each one of them!)

15. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Now if only SOMEONE would bundle API scripts to grab stats from every network.

Hmmm, wonder who could do that?

Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Dirk Gardiner's post, is where to start your journey:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...ell-60200.html

Quote Originally Posted by esnagel View Post
    Affiliates don't procrastinate! We also don't own too many domains, right? (hey, some day I'm going to build a site on each one of them!)
    Uh, yeah. Sure. That's right. Me too!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
    Dirk Gardiner's post, is where to start your journey:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...ell-60200.html
    Hey, Donuts, great to see you around!!

Question: Dirk's thread is from 2005. Have there been enough changes in PHP and/or HTML to make his script(s) outdated?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    Question: Dirk's thread is from 2005. Have there been enough changes in PHP and/or HTML to make his script(s) outdated?

Gary
    Hi Gary,

Do you still remember the good old days before 05?...

-----------------------

Any good datafeed script will never be outdated as long as the script do what you need the script to do with any datafeed...

But................

After 05 til today, it doesn't matter if you have the best new and updated datafeed script out there, or just the good script from (whatever date)...

-----------------------

Now, if you join a merchant with a datafeed that have 1000 pairs of shoes on that datafeed, and that merchant have just 100 affiliates using that same datafeed, what datafeed script you think will make a difference in what site shows up on the first three (3) pages of the main search engine?

Those 100 affiliates may have a link to the same 1000 pairs of shoes on that datafeed that will go to the shoe merchant, but then what?

A script don't make a site, a script just show the inventory!

It's up to us, the affiliates to show that same inventory in a different and unique way to the same visitor, in order to have a chance to make that visitor buy from one of our links on ours sites...

Put aside all the crooks on this business like: (cookie stuffers, link hijackers, crooked merchants, etc, etc...)...

And then remember the G. rules... (Don't do evil), that's our job!

BTW, if this is just on ABW...

--------------------------------------------
    Registered Members: 108,202

ABestWeb is the world's largest Affiliate Marketing forum with 108,202 members and 137,558 discussions.
    --------------------------------------------

The merchant with a datafeed that have 1000 pairs of shoes on that datafeed, that same merchant have way more than just 100 affiliates using that same datafeed in my example...

A very small percent of affiliates use datafeeds, and only a tiny portion of those use them effectively.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

22. Thanks From:

I've almost quite affiliate marketing entirely, spending most of my time writing ebooks to publish on Kindle.

But the one active affiliate site I still have (and I haven't updated it recently) is one offering products via 4 different datafeeds using a basic Price Tapestry setup. It doesn't make much, but it does bring in enough to cover my VPS hosting and other online stuff every month with a few bucks left over.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for datafeed sites, but a few bucks a month I wouldn't otherwise have.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread