Average Order Size in June?
    Where oh where did my profit growth go? That's what I want to know... My traffic is up 32% YOY. YOY profits for June are down 5%. In looking at the cause, it appears my average order size has been greatly reduced.

So how are people's average order size this month? I don't think the US economy is all that healthy??? I'm not seeing the "big spending" that makes AM so fun. Consumers seem very tentative. In my opinion, during boom times, you can drop a ton of cookies and at least one person will go on a big ticket item spending spree. I haven't seen that this month and it worries me. Luxury item purchases appear to be near non-existent.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

+1
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    +1
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

+1
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

It makes a person wonder how much of an effect the CC security issues and then the heartbleed security issue had on sales with all the attention that the media gave it for so long.

Oh, you guys aren't making me feel any better :-). I'm worried that it is inflation and the rising price of oil.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Number of sales isn't varying much. Higher-end merchants seem to be taking the brunt of the drop...

Sorry Mr. Isellstuff,

Here's something else that I've been trying to track, but so far haven't been able to convert it into a readable IP.
    On click for IP6 my code produces 127.255.255.255 which makes it look like its coming from our server but not....
    More info here http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day_and_World_IPv6_Launch_Day
    remove space..

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I am also seeing considerably smaller order sizes this month, and Amazon for one has seen size and resultant commissions reduced significantly (though number of orders month-to-date is up over the last three months [though I cannot say that for almost any network]).
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Here's three of my merchants, niche emergency foods, housewares, fitness apparel:

Wise Company AvantLink
    2014 June AOV $483.30
    2013 June AOV $384.99

Tag2u AvantLink
    2014 June AOV $70.97
    2013 June AOV $89.81

tasc Performance AvantLink
    2014 June AOV $116.11
    2013 June AOV $120.02

Wise went through heavy conversion improvement campaign this time last year and we are running endless promotions in 2014, didn't in 2013.

I can proform year over year sales volume if that would help?

11. Thanks From:

June is always the slow month, across the board.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by akagorilla View Post
    June is always the slow month, across the board.
    Agreed.

It is my YOY average order size for June which has decreased. That's the worrying thing. It is the high end stuff that is being affected, as Convergence mentioned. A couple of months ago I was seeing up to 35% YOY profit growth, with big ticket items leading the charge. To have profits decrease to -5% YOY after such a great start to the year is a bummer, especially when traffic volume is so much better.

It just feels (sometimes) like we are going to be suffering from the great recession for a long time to come... I don't even want to mention that the great depression was a double dip. (1929 - 1933, 1937 - 1938)
    Last edited by isellstuff; June 18th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

I checked our AOV for our company for June 2013 vs. June 2014 MTD, and it's down about 16%.

That's largely based on our most recent retail show, at which there was a noticeable lack of large orders. We have a big show this weekend (and another one next weekend), so I'm anxious to see if that will turn around.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    I checked our AOV for our company for June 2013 vs. June 2014 MTD, and it's down about 16%.

That's largely based on our most recent retail show, at which there was a noticeable lack of large orders. We have a big show this weekend (and another one next weekend), so I'm anxious to see if that will turn around.
    Thanks Michael, that's interesting. Is this clothing sales?

Yes, women's and children's clothing. Partially at our storefront and partially at retail shows. I didn't look at web sales, but that's a small enough part of our business that any changes probably aren't statistically relevant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Hourglass Angel's AOV is up but I attribute that in part due to the fact that our most active affiliates are getting really good now at being really targeted, and the fact that we're running an aggressive multi-item promo this month targeted at the bridal market (during peak bridal season). Affiliates pushing this promo are enjoying a higher AOV than our to-date average.

if any of y'all are getting tired of the small orders, just send them down yonder superCool's way

he'll take them NOOO PROBLEMO

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    Oh, you guys aren't making me feel any better :-). I'm worried that it is inflation and the rising price of oil.
    I'm beginning to think that could be an issue also isellstuff.
    Noticed last night that our small village has been pretty quite with the upcoming 4th of July just 2 weeks away.
    Usually there is all kinds of fireworks going off at peoples homes leading up to and following the 4th.
    I haven't heard any going off this year yet around here.

The market is strange, to say the least. On Wednesday I had a very strong day. Thursday is looking very, very weak. It balances out to "ho-hum".

One thing I'm beginning to pay more attention to... The number of times I've been stiffed by merchants because they are having financial problems. 2014 is shaping up to be a record year for non-payment of commissions (at least to me). What the heck? I wouldn't have expected this....

So bear with me... What if many of the big purchases are made by business owners, but they are feeling pressure due to delinquent payments, just like me? Also, consider that business owners probably have money invested in stocks and bonds... They are probably going to be very worried that the stock market is going to tank due to the record highs we are currently experiencing, combined with the lackluster business climate.

22. Thanks From:

Since we don't do much in the way of B2B our take is those with money are on vacation - Those "without" are spending less at lower-end merchants...

24. Thanks From:

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread