Goodbye + Direct Demand
    Call me late to the party, but I just learned about the whole + operator debacle on Google.

For years, I've always used the + symbol in search when I wanted the results to be only the pages that contained the actual search word. I've never stopped doing it that way, but I did begin notice less than spectacular results throughout the year.

Today I learned why.

When Google+ was born, they decided that a better use for + in search, was to let users get to Google+ pages faster by typing in the + and the name of the page. They called it Direct Connect.

For example +Ford Motor Company would show the top results for Ford, with the number one page going to the Google+ Ford page.

Google was so much in love with this idea, that they decided to ditch the long-standing purpose of the + symbol by replacing it with +Direct Connect.

I guess I missed the memo on all this, being that it took place in 2011, and I am now just learning about it. Of course now that I have been enlightened, Google has decided to ditch the + for Direct Demand as well.

No official reason has been given that I know of, but if I had to guess I would say it is because I wasn't the only one missing the memo. Now the million dollar question is, since the + for Direct Demand command is no longer supported by Google, will they reinstate the + operator back to the old fashioned way?

So far Google isn't answering that question.
    Last edited by leeann; June 24th, 2014 at 06:11 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks, I use "+" occasionally and hadn't noticed what you commented about until reading this. What do we get with "-"?

Actually " " now works with one word and phrases. I wish I would have known this a couple years back. I use (used) + a lot in researching online. The (minus key) - is the opposite of the old + in that it searches for content without the word behind the symbol. So if you are trying to quit smoking and you don't want to see anything with the word cigarettes, you would put -cigarettes, I guess. I've never used it, but I can see where it might be helpful when researching people with results that show several people with the same name? I don't know..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Thanks for sharing! I've used that feature before, and never noticed that it quit working. Nice to know the workaround of enclosing the word in quotes.

The - option can be handy if you search and get a ton of unrelated stuff. For instance, if you search for throne, most of the search results are about Game of Thrones. Assuming you don't want that, you can search for throne -"game of thrones" and it'll give you search results matching throne excluding ones that match "game of thrones".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I have always used double quotes for exact match. I knew the + was there too. Never used it. I guess I won't miss it much.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    The - option can be handy if you search and get a ton of unrelated stuff. For instance, if you search for throne, most of the search results are about Game of Thrones. Assuming you don't want that, you can search for throne -"game of thrones" and it'll give you search results matching throne excluding ones that match "game of thrones".
    Good example! I knew there was a valid reason for having it, I just couldn't think of one.
    leeann

7. Thanks From:

Hmm,,thanks for sharing.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread