Are Fashion-Centric Apps Producing Sales?
    With the holiday season soon arriving, I took some time to dig through reports on last year's sales.

This is from a Jan. 2014, news release from comscore about last year's holiday sales:

"For the 2013 holiday season, Apparel & Accessories ranked as the top-gaining product category with a gain of more than 13 percent vs. year ago and outpacing Consumer Electronics (bolstered by smartphone sales) by a razor thin margin. Computer Hardware (bolstered by tablet sales) ranked third by fractions of a percentage point, while Toys & Hobbies and Video Game Consoles & Accessories rounded out the top five." cont.

I noticed that they did not mention the apparel sales being "bolstered" by smartphone or tablet sales. I wonder why the apparel category wouldn't benefit as much as the computers and electronics?

Just curious.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    How can they possibly have a category of Consumer Electronics but also have separate categories of Computer Hardware and Video Game Consoles & Accessories? And couldn't Toys & Hobbies include Video Game Consoles? Who decides what fits into which category?

D'oh! I just realized that I totally misinterpreted that report. I thought it meant that consumer electronics picked up as a result of sales through smartphones, not because of the sale of smartphones.

As far as the breakdown in categories - that's a good question, although I can see why they would want to have Video Game Consoles & Accessories separate from Toys and Hobbies. Toys and Hobbies is more about young children and people who do not spend their days playing video games. Video Game Consoles & Access. is more about teens - what? 40 year olds?
    But I probably would have put the Consoles under electronics.

There really should be some national standard for categorizing that retailers follow.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread