Question Networking Pass at ASE14...Is it worth it?
    I attended ASE last year and had a great time in Philadelphia. Although my colleague and I only had the basic networking passes, we met so many new people and learned a lot.

Our company is based in Brooklyn, so there's no reason not to attend this year. However, I realized that the our meetings were the most valuable element of the conference, and they often took place in nearby hotel lobbies. I'm trying to decide whether it's really worth it to buy the pass to the exhibit hall if I can just schedule meetings with other attendees around the conference center.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I always recommend getting the passes before the early-bird pricing expires, because I do believe it is worth it. There are people you will meet on the show floor you won't meet anywhere else. Having the pass verifies you are truly in the industry. Remember you are also asking people to leave the conference to meet with you someplace else, and a lot of people won't want to do that while the show is live. Lobbycon is strongly condemned by the Affiliate Summit owners. It is your call, but I always have a badge, even when I was between companies and buying it on my own.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Jeannine's right - and personally, if someone asked me to take a meeting out in the lobby, I would have two thoughts immediately: this person doesn't value my time, and this person is too cheap to spend $99 on a Networking pass (it's up to $249 now, but it starts at $99 when you get it early).

I'm not calling you cheap and I mean no insult, I'm just being honest. People to do "Lobbycon" are not often well-regarded.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

5. Thanks From:

Thanks for the input! I thought that meeting outside the convention center was standard because that's what all the people we met with last year wanted to do. But I'll definitely get the pass if it's essential!

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Short Answer: It's definitely worth it.

Long Answer: You will meet people on the exhibit hall floor you may not run into anywhere else and those are the ones who are serious about doing business as they've paid to be there. Those are the ones you want to do business with - the ones who have a budget and are committed. As well, you can book meetings anywhere but it's nice to pay the conference organizers what you can (networking passes are pretty affordable) since without them putting on the show, there'd be no hotel lobby meetings to partake in. Just kind of a show of good faith to contribute something. And the cost is a write off anyway as a business expense, so an investment in your business.

Last but not least I THINK if I'm not mistaken that even those with networking passes get their biz name listed on their site under 'attendees' or something - and/or distributed on an attendee networking list which is good additional value. In the past there was also an online networking option for paid attendees - not sure if it is an option this round as I won't likely be attending this time unfortunately. I could be wrong but someone here can probably tell you - or you can always email the organizers and ask.

Thanks Liz! That's really smart. I forgot about the website listing.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    You're welcome! I'm not positive on that but I think it may be the case. Not sure if all get listed or just those with full conference passes.

VIP = food plus networking
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Years from now, you'll realize what a great investment is was!

12. Thanks From:

Tax Paying Member
    My 2 cents........It is worth it.

Almost everyone that I know in this business, I met at Affiliate Summit.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

14. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It's like lurking here and never joining and being able to participate, or watching a ball game through a hole in the fence.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Purchased! I'd like to get the full pass but that's not really feasible right now. Maybe next year!

17. Thanks From:

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Look forward to seeing you there!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

One thing to keep in mind for next time is that you can often find contests and giveaways from various places online. Affiliate Summit itself also gives away passes of varying types, so keep an eye on their site in the months leading up to a show.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

20. Thanks From:

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread