Goodbye Google+ Authorship Pictures in Search Results
    Google announced that it is doing away with the profile pictures and the circle count on search result pages.

Here is what John Mueller said about it:

"We've been doing lots of work to clean up the visual design of our search results, in particular creating a better mobile experience and a more consistent design across devices. As a part of this, we're simplifying the way authorship is shown in mobile and desktop search results, removing the profile photo and circle count."

He goes on to say the click-throughs with and without have been similar.

I'm not surprised. How many programs has Google forced on us with the fear of being Google dumped if we don't play along? Then within months they change their position and drop it.

With the growth of mobile device users, future decision making will have to be based on their experiences, not the desktop users. That means the cleaner and less-cluttered the results, the better.

OK, So, Really?

What I don't quite understand is why it took - all that Google brilliance - to figure out that mobile users need less crap displayed, not more? They are looking at tiny screens.

It reminds me of one of those studies that you read where they took, I don't know, $100,000 to find out how people react to having hot tabasco sauce poured in their mouth. It's a no-brainer. (Isn't it?)

But the big question is, what will this do to Google authorship and page views? They will still include the byline on those writers that qualify, so all is well, or so they say.

After all, isn't the real goal of the whole authorship program really meant as a way to find out which content writers are the most trusted and push their content to the front line? If you follow Matt Cutts, you know that author ranking is already being used, although it is still quite limited (but being worked on).

Many are guessing it is the beginning of the end for Google+. I don't see that happening, not until they come up with something better, like putting cameras into every room of our homes.

Here is the link to John Mueller and the announcement .
    Last edited by leeann; June 27th, 2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: fix a mistake
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

2. Thanks From:

Google+ was called the Walking Dead last April when the lead developer who brought it into existence left it for some other project, no one took over development of it and for that reason many said it was a matter of time..

There are several theories about the whole thing - one was that they wanted to be a "Better Alternative" to other social platforms but it wasn't a comparable experience for masses of people. I think they may have had some jealousy regarding the popularity of a few platforms, but might have realized it would require support and they don't do well where support is a factor. I never went there to take a look even though AFAIK they automatically created an account.

I have no idea why they think that all webmasters want our faces next to all our sites. If I was trying to sell myself or my books or running a celeb fansite or something, maybe, or if I was running a political campaign, but otherwise it just caters to stereotypes of what a person who sells hardware or fashion should look like physically for you to want to read what they say.

I think they may have gotten a good idea of the level of spammers, scrapers, profile builders, SEO gurus, backlink spammers, sockpuppets and parrots that have invaded the social places online these days and just decided to cut their losses. I don't expect it to grow or even exist after awhile. They have killed everything they ever started for the exchange of ideas or information, why should this be expected to last? jmho..

4. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Need the extra screen space for ads...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post

I'm not surprised. How many programs has Google forced on us with the fear of being Google dumped if we don't play along? Then within months they change their position and drop it.

With the growth of mobile device users, future decision making will have to be based on their experiences, not the desktop users. That means the cleaner and less-cluttered the results, the better.

Here is the link to John Mueller and the announcement .
    Exactly
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

7. Thanks From:

Practices like including image of author with published work is like extending so-called Matthew effect where advantage begets further advantage. Also knowingly/unknowingly, writing is mixed up with looks/gender/racism!
    Last edited by leeann; June 27th, 2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Removed URL

I don't know if I ever paid much attention to whether or not search results had a photo included but I bet some people will feel that Authorship isn't as valuable now. It will be interesting to see how Authorship evolves. If the SEO benefits aren't changing, I'm all for the change.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    One of the major factors of dropping it, is not what they say, but due to "marketers" using "pretty faces" as their author pic.

Basic marketing - good looking people sell...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Hey guys,
    We are in direct competition with Google when it comes to monetizing their serps. Would it make sense for them to put any genuine information out about how to rank better? Or, could they be putting out disinformation....Does anybody seriously trust anything Google states publicly?

12. Thanks From:

Brian Clark, Copyblogger [a well known copywriter who frequently gives excellent copywriting tips on his Copyblogger Blog] argues that Google+ is
    not "dead" and claims that Google is looking for authority in this post:

What if Author Rank Never Happens? [Update] - Copyblogger
    Last edited by Rhia7; June 27th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

14. Thanks From:

Here's the latest I've seen from Matt Cutts on authorship.

Authorship – While Danny Sullivan pressed Matt pretty hard to answer the question if Author Rank affects rankings, Matt Cutts ultimately dodged the question citing Google’s “secret sauce.” He did however say that the long term trend is to use authorship as part of your strategy and that he is a personal fan of author rank.(SMX Advanced: You&A with Matt Cutts)
    The last couple years at Pubcon it seems like authorship is all they can talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    The last couple years at Pubcon it seems like authorship is all they can talk about.
    Yes, and branding oneself - another element I loathe. It's become one big personal popularity contest.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

17. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread