Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attn Foodies: All Fresh Seafood (SAS) just cut commisions to ZERO.
    I just read this email...that arrived at 9:15 PM...
    This is an automated notification regarding a commission change for the All Fresh Seafood ShareASale Affiliate Program.

This merchant has made a change to their default commission rate.

Previous Per Sale Commission: 10.00%
    New Per Sale Commission: 0.00%

If you have any questions regarding this change, you should contact the merchant via your ShareASale account.
    Just a heads-up. I'll post a rant tomorrow. I've already been able to pull links.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

2. Thanks From:

I'm sure we've been around the block about this up here somewhere along the line, but something is wrong with a network who will let a merchant do this. When they set their rate to zero, their links should be either deactivated or redirected.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I emailed Jerry and his reply (in a nutshell) was that due to tight profit margins and tough competition, the affiliate model was not working for them and they cannot afford to pay commissions on referred sales.

This is a BIG problem with Shareasale; instead of having to decide whether to run an affiliate program or not, merchants can and will use this loophole to get a free stream of traffic from affiliates who aren't paying close attention.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Heavenly Couture is another one who hopped onto the free ride wagon this week.

6. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    When a merchant does this the network needs to cut them off - INSTANTLY...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    When a merchant does this the network needs to cut them off - INSTANTLY...
    Totally agree.

Brian?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
    Totally agree.

Brian?
    Brian may not see this, it's not in the SAS forum...

I emailed him to make sure he sees it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

12. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I emailed Jerry and his reply (in a nutshell) was that due to tight profit margins and tough competition, the affiliate model was not working for them and they cannot afford to pay commissions on referred sales.

This is a BIG problem with Shareasale; instead of having to decide whether to run an affiliate program or not, merchants can and will use this loophole to get a free stream of traffic from affiliates who aren't paying close attention.
    Well, shame on Jerry. Is it the affiliates' fault that he has failed at running his program? A major competitor seems to do well. The Crab Place in Crisfield (a little ways down the Bay from All Fresh Seafood) scores a couple of nice sales from us every month. Maybe it's the fact that Jerry Auto-Approves affiliates and likely has a couple thousand do-nothing or hide-something sites in the mix?

And shame on ShareASale for continuing to send them FREE TRAFFIC AT THE EXPENSE OF LEGITIMATE, HARD-WORKING AFFILIATES. Y'know, those affiliates who may be able to earn a few bucks if those worthless links were redirected to the affiliate's alternate page of choice.

Here's the <RANT> I started last night...
    When this happens - ZERO COMMISSION - the links should automatically be stopped and any affiliate-referred link go to whatever alternate default the affiliate has on record. Of course there was no rationale/reason/explanation given for the ZERO COMMISSION. Whatta buncha crap!

Fortunately, or not, as the case may be, I already had that site "open" so it took less than five minutes to find the pages in our [popular] Steamed Crabs section, highlight All Fresh Seafood and hit the "Goodbye" key.

By coincidence, we had a nice seafood sale from a competitor, The Crab Place, about eight hours before the "ZERO commission" email was sent. We do well with The Crab Place - so deleting AFS was no big deal.
    </RANT>
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

14. Thanks From:

Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I just read this email...that arrived at 9:15 PM...

Just a heads-up. I'll post a rant tomorrow. I've already been able to pull links.
    Bill - if you see any commissions that come in at $0, just let me know. My email is brian@shareasale.com

In the meantime, the program has been closed as obviously you can't have an Affiliate Program that pays 0% of anything.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Brian they are not the only ones. I get these "commission rate changed to zero percent" notices about twice a month. That's just merchants that I'm signed up with; I would go out on a limb and assume that there are others who pull this stunt too. A merchants links should be decommissioned as soon as they set it to zero percent, the same way they get decommissioned when they don't pay you.

18. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    davidh,

Not every notification goes to everyone or would indicate a 0% default commission. Even in some cases programs are managed differently and have 0% defaults for a reason.

Nonetheless, if you want to forward any notifications that you get to me I would be happy to look into them.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Brian,

Affiliates just want some protection...

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Thats ridiculous....poor management, whatever. Our seafood merchant would never even consider something like that so hop on over to us if you don't want 0 commission.
    Cindy Ballard, VP of Operations, Greg Hoffman Consulting
    Follow Me on Twitter @cingroomer
    My blog, www.oldfartlife.com

22. Thanks From:

Legal Seafoods is a pretty good converter for this stuff. Their reputation and fame help to tip the scale when a customer is deciding on who to buy from.

24. Thanks From:

Yup, we've got Legal Seafoods and we have Cindy's programm, too. Only problem with Cindy's gig is that out two main niche markets are smack dab in the middle of Crab Country. We are where trumps all the time.

26. Thanks From:

I don't have crabs... There i said it.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying that Greg.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

29. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateWarrior View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that Greg.
    We knew that. He's got lobsters. Much bigger problem.

This has happened numerous times before. SAS should have controls in place for setting a zero commission rate. It should not be an easy option for merchants to select and it should only be with the approval of a SAS management member. In other words - SAS mgnt. should be the only people that can push that button.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Like on AW...

Quote Originally Posted by leeann View Post
    This has happened numerous times before. SAS should have controls in place for setting a zero commission rate. It should not be an easy option for merchants to select and it should only be with the approval of a SAS management member. In other words - SAS mgnt. should be the only people that can push that button.
    I think that's reasonable.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

If they prohibit 0%, these types of merchants will just set it to 0.01%.

Perhaps if commissions are dropped more than 50%, it should notify Brian or someone at SAS so they can research further and either give the merchant some advice, or if the drop is too egregious, terminate their program.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Personally, I don't have a problem with letting merchants drop 50% or 75% or any percent. They shouldn't need approval from the network to change their rates. BUT they should get flagged when dropping to zero.

Is it even possible to drop to 0.01%? If so, I do think that should get flagged as well. But if 1% or even 0.5% is the minimum... lots of programs do have defaults that low.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast