Advantages of shortened URLs
    What are the advantages of shortened URLs in SEO? Are these effective in getting ranked high in search results with specific keywords? Are there any flaws of using shortened URLs?

They say that they are good for social networking and also if you want to disguise the url. It won't identify your affiliate number, etc.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    There was a time when some cj merchants had your name in the affiliate link url.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Shortened URL is only good for social networking site like Twitter otherwise it has no use for seo.

5. Thanks From:

Was the question about URL shortening services (ex. shortening examplewebsite.com to bit.ly/nekwb) or about the advantages of a user friendly URL standard (ex. example.com/article-1 vs example.com/23/?id=1254)

Because a URL shortener has zero bearing on SEO whereas the other is very important...

OT
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound View Post
    There was a time when some cj merchants had your name in the affiliate link url.
    They're still there, or at least one. I flipped when I joined & saw my name in the link. They said it had something to do with custom database, which makes no sense at all. I quit the program.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I've seen my name flash in the url, but then switch to another url. I always forget to make a note of the merchant, though.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Well, the two that I know used to have it were Pfaltzgraff and Mikasa.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks to all for sharing the useful information.

We use shortened urls in most of our graphics that we give to clients to use on social media. When we set somebody up in our affiliate program who normally isn't an affiliate marketer (college, team, etc...) then we usually give them a shortened url that redirects to their affiliate link too.

I don't like having to explain what a parameter is and they don't like promoting ugly urls to their fans...so it's a win for all. Not best SEO wise, but adds to the click through (type through?) rate for sure...and thus conversions go up~

Shortened urls are used only on social networking websites like twitter, facebook, Reddit and myspace.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBajwa View Post
    Shortened urls are used only on social networking websites like twitter, facebook, Reddit and myspace.
    Not true, lol - just have to think outside the box. For example, we use our own URL "shortener" in multiple places, including our own ad network where a merchant allows DTM but not their name in a display URL.

As for SEO advantages, they are few - but do exist. Again, you have to think out of the box AND even, know what you are doing. We use OUR URL "shortening" software on multiple web properties, specific to that property. Since we can assign several "layers", we CAN create keyword rich, SEO friendly URLs - IE: example.com/category/sub-category/keyword. Not exactly "short", but it is using a URL "shortener"...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Not true, lol - just have to think outside the box. For example, we use our own URL "shortener" in multiple places, including our own ad network where a merchant allows DTM but not their name in a display URL.

As for SEO advantages, they are few - but do exist. Again, you have to think out of the box AND even, know what you are doing. We use OUR URL "shortening" software on multiple web properties, specific to that property. Since we can assign several "layers", we CAN create keyword rich, SEO friendly URLs - IE: example.com/category/sub-category/keyword. Not exactly "short", but it is using a URL "shortener"...
    Thanks to give me correct information.

Advantages of shortened URLs are as below:

Tiny url is curiosity generator and increase traffic
    Tiny url is getting benefits of url redirection
    To reduce the bad effects on our website url, due to continuous Social Network sharing
    Can create vanity url for a social media fan page.

17. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread