Writing unique content
    Hi everyone. I'd like to know what exactly is the process of writing unique content. For example, if someone wanted to make a website on a topic, would they research the Internet, where, they find other sites on the topic, and then write that information in their own words? Is this acceptable, and would this be unique content?
    If someone makes a site on something they're passionate and knowledgeable about, then it shouldn't be a problem, but what if someone picks a niche where they're keen, but have superficial knowledge? Is looking at other sites for information the way to get unique content, or are there other ways, like going to a library, etc. Going to a library 100 times to research 100 keywords seems over the top, doesn't it? (can you tell by now I'm a rather thick newbie lol. Besides, the library banned me after my 86th visit ;-))
    Any thoughts, tips and advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    As long as it's written in your own words, it's considered unique content. You can do research online or off - it's up to you - though I can all but guarantee most internet marketers do their research online and don't go to the library. Where you research really depends on what the site is about of course - depending on whether you're writing something you have personal experience with or not.

But unique means just that - unique, or one of a kind. If someone were to copy and paste your content into google and find it elsewhere written exactly the same way, in the same words, using same phrasing and grammar then it's not unique. Pretty straight forward.

However if you're writing for example about how to change oil on your car, chances are similar content is available on myriad sites. So your content might be similar, but again, as long as it's written uniquely, it's considered to be yours and not duplicate or scraped content which is the main thing.

If it's a topic you have superficial knowledge of and experience based you may want to document your own experiences learning about the topic as a means of developing content vs. writing from an 'expert knowlege' standpoint. That sometimes resonates well, depending on the audience (recipe, craft or DIY blogs for example are good examples of this). Good luck!

3. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Also - if you're curating content be sure and give credit to the originating sources when you publish it and add your own editorial opinion or added comments/thoughts/notes when you do to help make it your own.

5. Thanks From:

Wow, that's great information. Thank you so much Liz. Really appreciate the response. BTW, I'm in Toronto too. :-)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I use the library extensively, seeking research material that is less likely to have been hashed, re-hashed, and re-re-hashing in other corners of the internet. As long as it is still correct information, the older the material the better.

This pertains to articles relating to product niches. For current events, as I write about on my political and sport blogs, and on my green living site, then source material must be the latest, hot off the internet, but used only as source material, and given my own interpretation and spin.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

8. Thanks From:

Thank you Phil. So basically, I add my own take on something; my own opinion (good or bad) etc. OK, gotcha.
    Cheers man!

I use Plagium to check if my content is unique

plagium ::: plagiarism checker & plagiarism tracker ::: home

If it finds a phrase identical with that on another website, I rewrite the phrase and check again.

11. Thanks From:

Thank you VampireSkunk. Looks like a good tool. Never heard of it before. That'll definitely help. Cheers!

The best way to create original "researched"content is to read several sources before writing your article.

For example, if you read one article and then write your own article, even though you use your own words, it will only contain information from that article.

However, if you read 5 articles before you write your article, then your article will be more informative and more unique since it will contain what you have learned from the 5 articles. There will also be less chance that you have duplicated phrases.
    Last edited by Ritchie; July 5th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Bookmarking that one, VampireSkunk!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

16. Thanks From:

Ritchie, thanks for the advice. I've actually tried that, albeit with 3 sources and not 5. I once used a tool to check (wasn't Copyscape, some free thingy) and of the 10 or so articles I ran through it, about eight of them said "not unique". Man, I was so pi**ed off! I eventually ignored it and put it down to the tool, lol. Maybe it was somehow faulty, being free. I can't remember the name of the tool or the site.
    I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, because I had written it in my own words after researching and even added my own take on things, but apparently I was. That's why, I wanted to find out what you guys felt on the matter and being more experienced, I wanted your advice and how you come up with your material. Thank you all.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the internet to do your research. Just make sure that you read around 5 articles on the same subject (like Ritchie said) and form your own opinions. When you really get into an industry, it is pretty obvious to tell what sites are constantly taking from others ideas--almost word for word. Reading more on a topic will give you a more well rounded opinion, which readers prefer.

Thanks Alex. Good point. No, I would never do word for word.

20. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by e-Gazer View Post
    Also - if you're curating content be sure and give credit to the originating sources when you publish it and add your own editorial opinion or added comments/thoughts/notes when you do to help make it your own.
    When crediting research sources, should you simply post the article title and/or link at the bottom of the page or are you required to get permission from the author of the source?

Actually I used this blog Quick Sprout Blog by Neil Patel and it was very helpful. Download your free copy of the advanced writing guide. I didn't know where to start, but now I write good blog posts on my own after reading that guide. It is a bit verbose, but easy to understand.

Let me know if it helped.

The simple thing is to create a unique content is to Research about your topic. And write with your own words. And the content need to have some part such as emotional, credibility,story telling. Emotional is main part you have to handle carefully, and Story telling is the main part that makes interesting about your topic.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread