Using Photos & Video on Affiliate Site
    Hey everyone,

New to the whole affiliate marketing thing, but watched a webinar today about it and got psyched! I already have experience with web hosting and content writing, so I think I have start at least.

I spent today looking through some affiliate networks and I found a perfect target (at least so I think)!

My question is:

I don't have photos or video of the product I want to market, but many others online do. What can I take and post on my website without getting into trouble?

I am thinking about:

- photos from the official product site
    - photos from users on other sites (I figure I would do a creative commons search with commercial use checked on)
    - videos from YouTube
    - reviews posted elsewhere

Where do I give credit and where do I not? If I am going to credit/do attribution, to I have to link? I figure the fewer the links, the better.

What can I take and post on my website without getting into trouble?
    Nothing! Unless, that is, you first obtain permission from the person or company to whom or which the photographs or content belongs.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

That's not entirely true - you can embed YouTube videos and use creative common images, so long as you provide attribution (you don't need permission).

But I didn't know company photographs need permission. I don't see why they would mind since the idea is to get them sales, but probably worth asking about none the less.

What do you do then Bill? How do you use images?

Embedded YouTube and Creative Commons images have a type of permission attributed to them.

Images for our "product" sites are displayed via links provided by the merchant and are not hosted on our servers.

Images for our main travel/destination websites are all original and photographed by me.

Example (shot about an hour ago) for a post about Locust Point in Baltimore:

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread