Site Versus Traffic ..
    I am planning a major focus on affiliate sites, some that I have and some that I may add. As I was doing the math, reviewing performance, looking at advertisers, some questions popped up.

Certainly, a site must be built well to convert, and to attract traffic. I am wondering, with limited time, which should be the emphasis of my work over the next few weeks and months. Site or traffic?

For example, to make a modest living on the net, say $4000 a month, one needs to earn almost $140/day. Many affiliate programs listed on SAS, for example, average $25-$35 per hundred clicks (epc. I have that correct?).

That means I would need to send northwards of 500 clicks per day to advertisers with that average epc in order to meet his goal. That is a lot, it seems. Using PPC, which then costs money, means needing to send more clicks. (My experience with PPC driven referrals to advertisers has been that it is a total waste of money, zero conversions).

Currently, my sites send a few dozen clicks a day, and conversions are slow and low. Either it is the site - the pre-selling is not being well done perhaps - the advertiser, or the traffic levels. My gut says that a modest facelift of whichever site I focus on will suffice, and my main energies should go to traffic.

So your expert input will be greatly appreciated and considered. Are my numbers correct? Is such a level of clicks possible without PPC or outsourcing traffic generation?
    Or, are people who do make a living from affiliate marketing doing so with less traffic and higher commissions? Is there some other model that I am missing? What should I be focusing on to meet my goal? Thanks in advance.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Perhaps a review of your site design and a facelift is in order - Has it been a while? Has traffic dropped off?

Another thing to consider is looking at the merchants you promote - same thing: Has it been a while? Has traffic dropped off? And, have sales dropped off?

Simply sending more traffic to merchants may not be the only answer. Highly targeted traffic to a merchant that does their job is best - of course.

Maybe post your site in the Review forum? It's not indexed by the bots but is visible to members...
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...er-review-146/
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks. I will do that after the first facelift. I am just a bit daunted by the amount of traffic needed to get those 500 clicks a day. I would much rather spend time tweaking the site - that's fun actually. But I fear it is a misplaced effort because I am insecure as to whether I can deliver the traffic.

As per your suggestions, I am reviewing which advertisers and which sites have been performing "best" (it's all relative, I guess). Either they should be my focus, or reviving sites and changing advertisers that have been sleepy should be my focus.

So a bit confused about what to focus most of my energy on.

I'm curious how successful affiliates budget their time between the site and the traffic building.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha View Post
    I'm curious how successful affiliates budget their time between the site and the traffic building.
    Personally, majority of time is is spent on development and maintenance of the site. Most of our traffic is natural. As for building traffic, we believe it has to be done on a schedule - one that allows for review of it's effectiveness. Offsite Marketing > Wait > Review.

With both, it's best not to make drastic changes or too many changes at once - unless it's planned.

Think this is worth reading regarding timing of such changes...
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/searc...ghlight=timing

Thanks, nice post. I am sensing that there are two phases here. At some point in your history, you must have put a lot in to building up the natural traffic. Then, when the flow reaches maturity, focusing on the site will have the added benefit of growing the traffic further. Sort of like priming a well, before it can flow on its own.

Am I correct? Or did you do something super effective which brings the traffic, which I am obviously not doing?

The site and it's "content" IS what drives traffic - both in and out. Building and maintaining the site is a non-stop process. Once your site becomes stagnant - it's dead in the water and recovery is an uphill battle. Once you stop, so does your traffic. Flow NEVER reaches maturity...

Offsite marketing, whether it's marketing online or offline, is the insurance...

8. Thanks From:

Site building -> Traffic building -> Site maintenance and growth.

In other words, choose the content, choose best converting and best fitting products, tweak the site.
    Then, do the required traffic building activities (on-page SEO, links, articles, socials, etc..).
    Then commit to regular updates, tweaks, new material etc...

Site building -> Site maintenance and growth -> Traffic building.

IMhO.

Personally think people get stuck in the mindset that they have to go "out" and get traffic - when all you need is "value" on your site. If your visitors perceive your site has value, (to them, which is all that matters), THEY will do practically all your offsite marketing for you - leaving you more time for: Site building -> Site maintenance and growth...

11. Thanks From:

I hear you. That is encouraging, actually. I much prefer building content and doing design to submitting links and all that. Sharing the content off-site is probably a good way to go as well, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha View Post
    Sharing the content off-site is probably a good way to go as well, I guess.
    See what I mean about being stuck in a mindset?

Well not really, because I am having trouble seeing how people will see the content on the site if it's not ranking, and if I'm not putting articles and posts elsewhere bringing them back to the site.
    I think I have great content, useful and neatly presented. I can go and add whole new sections and update older ones (which I am doing currently anyhow) but I doubt that the people who need to see it will get there. In order for visitors to see the value, they must visit! Where do they come from, if I don't catch their eye elsewhere?

On one of my main sites, about music recording and arranging, here are the basic traffic stats. This month, averaging 91 visitors a day, 1700 hits.
    Most come from .. LOL .. Ukraine!!!! 26k pages this month. Second place is USA, with 1,300 pages this month. Third goes to .. Saudi Arabia???
    The top landing page is the Amazon music gear catalog I have, which is nice, except that traffic from these countries (Ukraine and Saudi Arabia) does not convert there at all.
    Search engines account for just 4% of traffic. Direct addresses are 60% and external sites (with a lot of .ru domains) are 36%.

I have a link to this music site in the review section here: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...ew-173266.html

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Website owners get stuck in that trap - going out and creating inbound links. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The need for instant gratification is strong. Resist it.

When you get into a rhythm of building/maintaining your site, the SEs take notice. The SEs then expose more of your pages higher in the SERPs. It's a continuous process. Pages that have a higher click through continue to get love. Pages with lower click through drop. From our experience if you can get a MINIMUM sitewide click through rate of about 10%, you're on the right path. Has very little to do with you manually building inbound links. Over time, your visitors will promote your site for you. That's natural link building. That's natural mentions (yes, the Googlebot now takes into consideration if a site is even mentioned elsewhere without an inbound link). All this needs to occur naturally.

Focus on your building/maintaining your site - show the SEs you care about the customer experience and you'll be rewarded for your efforts far more than if you create artificial "traffic"...

16. Thanks From:

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread