Does Affliate marketing work?
    sorry, know this is probably the millionth time this question has been asked. After watching several vids and looking into Clickbank and other sites seems like there is potential. I estimated it will take me about $1000 to get started between LLC, websites, ads, etc

Not looking to become a millionaire but looking for a little extra income even $1000 per month

So .... whats the skinny? Does this stuff really work? Or is it just some guys trying to make money selling the pot at the end of the rainbow?

Thanks, another Newbie

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Yes it works - Like anything else, the ones who are making it work are fewer than those that haven't...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Yes it works - Like anything else, the ones who are making it work are fewer than those that haven't...
    thanks for that. In your opnion, what seperates the ones that make it work from the ones that dont?

5. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Best question asked in a long, long time.

Personally, think it's those that have a willingness to learn. Those that understand it's step-by-step process, a marathon not a sprint, no shortcuts, etc. Those that have an aptitude for business and that understand customer shopping habits both online and off.

It's a business...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    Or is it just some guys trying to make money selling the pot at the end of the rainbow?
    There are quite of few people doing that... You won't see it that much on abestweb, but you will see it with clickbank related products and the warrior forums.

You don't need to spend $1,000 bucks to get going. I have friends that have created websites on something like bluehost.com (which has $5 buck a month hosting or $13 a month wordpress hosting) and make a few $100 - $1,000 a month. You get a domain, use some free graphics templates, create a lot of high quality content that people will want to link to and promote the heck out of it.

You have to work really hard. You have to be hungry and want it. You have to have some level of technical expertise or be willing to learn it. You have to be able to create value. You have to be willing to reach out to others, bang the drum and promote yourself and your website.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Wouldn't worry about an LLC unless you have other assets to lose if you mess up. You can run any profits through your personal taxes as a sole proprietor until until you make enough to want to deduct expenses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can still deduct expenses as a sole proprietor too. I did the last couple years at least... There is a different way to set up your deductions that helps more if you set up a separate entity though. I had my accountant set up a S Corp a couple years back when all my income was 1099 and it saved me about half of my taxes

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    You have to work really hard. You have to be hungry and want it. You have to have some level of technical expertise or be willing to learn it. You have to be able to create value. You have to be willing to reach out to others, bang the drum and promote yourself and your website.
    This quote is the truth. At my agency, we saw affiliates that regularly performed and affiliates that did nothing. Those who performed worked hard at it and gave fresh content that supported their programs regularly. For example - let's say you want to be an affiliate for subscription boxes. Just putting a static ad on your sidebar won't drive ANY sales unless you have a TON of traffic. But posting a box review, a my favorite boxes post, things I want for my birthday, etc etc etc - always referencing the same program over and over is what tended to work. Find someone who is doing it well and repeat what they are doing until you have the pattern down. My 2 cents.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can still deduct expenses as a sole proprietor too. I did the last couple years at least...
    Yep you can deduct, forget the form. Always consult a CPA on business taxes, worth the money.

You can deduct expenses off your taxes if you are a sole proprietor. I did forget the guys name but he is a tax lawyer and he did train IRS agents. I seen his special tax webinar for DS Domination. For an example, if you have a home based business and you use your bedroom as an office and 1/8 of it is the sq. ft. of your house, you are able to deduct taxes. If you buy a computer, you can deduct that off your taxes. Why, because if you don't have a computer you can't make money. if you buy a computer deduct, if you buy copier paper deduct, deduct for electric, deduct if you advertise, what ever you spend in your home based business to make money, you are able to deduct off taxes, just remember to keep a good record and receipts and a snap shot of your home office don't send it to the IRS, but just keep it with your records in case you get audit, thet like to do that on home based operations. Just make sure you keep all your records!

Darryl Ast

Quote Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; Today at 12:23 PM. Reason: Removed unauthorized promotional information
    He still has blatant in his username. Is that now being permitted?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

14. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    He still has blatant in his username. Is that now being permitted?
    I took care of it Bill.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

16. Thanks From:

Like any other business venture, treat it like a serious business. The affiliates we see succeeding are the ones that run it like a real business, not the ones that are looking for that "guru, one button/one click make money fast" solution. Learn the business, test, optimize, put time and effort into it, and the sky is the limit. The "secret" is just to get started. Just do it, like that famous slogan says

Hiya. With Affiliate Marketing, just like anything else it will take time to reap the benefits. If you want to be successful, you have to work for that success. There's no such thing as a push button and you're seconds away from being rich. Anyone that tries to sell you that will just make your money. But I'd say they've spent time developing their skills to be able to sell that product. Does that make sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by isellstuff View Post
    There are quite of few people doing that... You won't see it that much on abestweb, but you will see it with clickbank related products and the warrior forums.

You don't need to spend $1,000 bucks to get going. I have friends that have created websites on something like bluehost.com (which has $5 buck a month hosting or $13 a month wordpress hosting) and make a few $100 - $1,000 a month. You get a domain, use some free graphics templates, create a lot of high quality content that people will want to link to and promote the heck out of it.

Could you display as links some of the better examples of affiliate sites?
    Thanks in advance if so.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie999 View Post
    So .... whats the skinny? Does this stuff really work? Or is it just some guys trying to make money selling the pot at the end of the rainbow?
    I could never get clickbank to work, or at least I only ever made a very small profit. Basically, promoting anything where you get paid "per sale" makes you (the affiliate) take all the risk and the merchant none. This isn't fair, and a sale is not that easy to get either.

What I did was concentrate on products where you can SPLIT the risk ... which is I generate a "potential customer" the merchant is trying to sell his products to. Think insurance quotes, loan applications, debt enquiries, mortgages, etc. Brokers pay quite a lot of money for these leads so if you combine them with proper PPC, you got yourself a nice little business.

But I would agree with you, most IM products are really just out there to make the creator money, so I never bothered wasting my time with them anymore.

Nick

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Those that understand it's step-by-step process, a marathon not a sprint, no shortcuts, etc.
    Great! If everybody thought like that, we will get rid of the noise of SPAM and SCAM, and we will have a healthy business environment.

22. Thanks From:

I began working from home in 1999, first in marketing/relations for a micro-niche dating site. After that I developed my own website that, in 5 years time, was generating around $8000 per month. It was hard work - but I had selected a topic that I was very passionate about and that solved a problem for those looking for that kind of resource.

I was a fool, and because of an ex that threatened to take half of everything I had, I sold the site and disappeared from the niche.

I divorced, took some time away and in the last year, I have entered the blogging/affiliate marketing scene again.

Things have changed a lot since 2008, but I know there is very good money to be had in affiliate marketing. I raised my twin boys, as a single mom, entirely on money I have made online.

More and more people are shopping online - rather than the brick-and-morter stores and that's only going to grow.

Affiliate marketing is so much more than setting up a website, sticking up a few affiliate links and creating a bunch of good content. You really have to network and become an authority in your niche. When people trust you, they will trust your recommendations.

Many people don't want to take the time to work the affiliate linking end either. I am always on the lookout for tools or ways to make the whole linking process easier.

I would recommend, when you sign up for a program, make sure to sign up for their newsletter. It's almost like you're getting "done-for-you" content or at the very least, it give you an idea of what's hot and you can plan your content around that.

Gayla

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread