Is your taxonomy about to hurt your program?
    Google has new Adwords policies coming out in September. They have a much broader definition of "Weapons" and say they will err on the side of caution when deciding if advertising will be allowed.

https://support.google.com/adwordspo.../6008942?hl=en

So I'm in the process of scaling back my promotions based on the new policy. If a product is even remotely related to a weapon, I'm banning its promotion. Keep in mind that Google thinks bb, pellet, and paintball guns are weapons, as well as anything that could attach to a gun.

I'm seeing a lot of merchants who like to flag items with a weapon's related taxonomy if the item could even remotely be used in an activity. Here is a simple example from MWave:

Garmin 010-10838-10 Garmin 010-10838-10 GLO Belt Clip from mwave.com 010-10838-10 GLO Belt Clip

Note the Airsoft taxonomy. They aren't alone though, so many merchants are doing it that its bumming me out.

Merchants, DON'T put a product in a weapon's category unless it is really a weapon. A holster for a Garmin GPS unit should not be classified as "Air Soft"!!!

Google doesn't like weapons and you just classified a non-weapon as a weapon by choosing the wrong taxonomy!
    Last edited by isellstuff; July 25th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What about knives, are they throwing that into the mix? Night sticks? Anything karate?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    What about knives, are they throwing that into the mix? Night sticks? Anything karate?
    Yup, any type of knife used primarily to kill people. Tactical Knifes, Spring Loaded Knifes, Butterfly Knifes, Daggers, Swords, etc.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Also ninja throwing stars, throwing axes, etc. BTW, these items have been an issue for awhile. I think Google is just getting a little more "broad" in their classifications.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    It's all cutlery, right...?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    It's all cutlery, right...?
    Its a fine line.... This is their old guidelines

oogle doesn't allow the promotion of knives, such as automatic knives, switchblade knives, balisong or butterfly knives, stiletto knives, assisted opening knives, spring blades, knives with a trigger release, throwing knives, military knives, combat knives, fighting knives, in addition to disguised knives, such as air gauge, belt buckle, and lipstick case and writing pen knives.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread