Software to track merchants? Pay-per-sale
    Hello All,
    I'm working with a new business partner, setting up an affiliate website showing off new hunting and fishing products. We went out and found merchants to advertise their products on our website. So now what is the best software to use to track conversions for all of our different merchants? It is a pay-per-sale affiliate model, but neither our website nor our merchants belong to any affiliate network (such as Commission Junction, etc.). If possible, I'd like to keep it that way.

So what is the best and easiest way to set up and measure conversions for this business model? Is there software we can purchase?

Thank you.
    - Landshark

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'd see if you can't partner up with an OPM and nudge these guys into working with a network like ShareASale or AvantLink. Both are reasonably priced and will do the job.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Landshark is the site established and selling well?

Quote Originally Posted by landshark828 View Post
    So what is the best and easiest way to set up and measure conversions for this business model? Is there software we can purchase?
    Well, I think the easiest and cheapest way would be via Google Analytics. If you drive PPC traffic, you can also link that with your Analytics account and place a separate pixel in the "thank you for your purchase" page. Also, ask if they can provide you with an introducer account to show your own sale statistics from their end.

Alternatively, you could invest into a sales and pixel tracking software/CRM ... they aren't free though.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by badboyNick View Post
    Well, I think the easiest and cheapest way would be via Google Analytics. If you drive PPC traffic, you can also link that with your Analytics account and place a separate pixel in the "thank you for your purchase" page. Also, ask if they can provide you with an introducer account to show your own sale statistics from their end.

Alternatively, you could invest into a sales and pixel tracking software/CRM ... they aren't free though.

Nick
    Is there a specific written legal agreement that you must arrange to be written up when setting up transaction tracking with advertisers? In my newbie mind I am imagining merchants demanding an independent, third party adjudicator be in use to keep the lead/sales transactions honest - not relying on manipulable developer's softwware tools.

Ya that's a network and you are a 1099 contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Ya that's a network and you are a 1099 contractor.
    I have so, so, so much to learn.......to state a tired but true cliche, "I don't even know where to start..."

I'm trying to learn the basics as fast as possible, but the rate at which I would like to ask questions and get them answered would exasperate even the most patient guru. The information on this forum is golden, but very dispersed and more or less far advanced from the knowledge level I peer from.

Learning the software/post a few blogs is now understood, but the specifics of arranging an affiliate relationship with a merchant (FINDING merchants, even)and every other possible phase and detailed aspect of the affiliation marketing process in general (in proper order from process 1 to final process - whatever that may be) seems to be as elusive to me as chasing a ghost in the fog.

In the last 24 hours I have written 3 rough drafts that need at least two more drafts before publishing, but beyond that I am in analysis paralysis in hyperdrive. I need to find a 'basics' step-by-step crash course if one exists...I wouldn't mind paying if it's very reasonable. Many, many resources out there, but I need to find an island of laser-focused basic newbie instruction in the unending ocean of good, but unconcentrated data.

Any reccommends?

One of my immediate goals upon reaching a level of minimum acceptable competence is to latch on to the Wise Food Storage opportunity you presented - as well as one or two others I've seen - before all the seats on the bus get taken.

Your patience is very, very much appreciated, I tell you now.

Thank you

Thanks to all for your feedback. Chuck, we just launched the site a few days ago. We only have a few products to start, and the traffic is low so far. So we really haven't received a lot of conversions yet. We ended up going with the LinkTrackr software to track conversions. I'm working with our merchants directly to make sure the pixel conversion codes are installed properly. Also working on our SEO. Once I get more comfortable with placing the conversion codes, and more confident that we're receiving the data that we need to receive in order to properly bill, then we'll ramp it up quickly and drive traffic with a PPC campaign. The site is hit-team.com. Check it out!

Submit your site to the Review forum and let members tell you what they think.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread