Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Issues with TSA?
    Travel affiliates - do you discuss issues with the TSA?

Administrator John Pistole was recently interviewed and he gave his opinions on a lot of issues, including why the TSA is not about to be disbanded.

One issue he discusses is the fact that we still have these ludicrous restrictions on carrying liquids on to airplanes because, though there is technology to test every liquid, TSA hasn't figured out how to test them "efficiently". Tell that to the guy pouring out his $5.00 drink while six TSA employees are standing around doing, well, nothing.

Here is the article: "Get rid of the TSA? The agency's chief says not so fast"
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; August 7th, 2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

At the risk of sounding like a political statement (although it applies to both sides of the aisle), once any government program/department/control is in place, it's extremely difficult to get rid of it no matter how inefficient, ineffective, or expensive it is.

I see very little use for the TSA. They don't make us much safer, and they make flying more expensive and more of a hassle.

Preparing to leave for ASE14, I have switched out my full size toiletries for small ones, got my quart size bag packed, and will be ready to get my laptop and toiletries out and take my shoes and belt off. But if I'm lucky, I'll be approved to use the TSA PreCheck line, so I'll be able to zip through without doing any of that, just like the pre-TSA days. (Which just shows that none of that is really necessary.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't put my toiletries in my carry-on (I used to), I don't wear a belt to the airport (I used to), I put my keys in my carry-on (instead of my pocket, like I used to), and I wear sneakers that can be slipped on and off (that much hasn't changed).

I breeze through security, but I can't say the TSA hasn't had an effect (a negative one) on the way I travel - especially, as Michael noted, by making flying more expensive.

No political statements me from me, either... except to say that one party put this asinine system in place and the other party hasn't done anything to remove it. They're both culpable.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    I like to believe that it's for everyone's safety.

But I may be wrong.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    It's a dog-and-pony show that is now ingrained in society.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel M. Clark View Post
    I don't put my toiletries in my carry-on (I used to), I don't wear a belt to the airport (I used to), I put my keys in my carry-on (instead of my pocket, like I used to), and I wear sneakers that can be slipped on and off (that much hasn't changed).
    I only put my toiletries in my carry-on if I'm not checking any bags, but I can pretty easily pack a week's worth of stuff in a carry-on bag, so I usually don't check any bags.

When I take my belt off, the TSA will get an unexpected show if I'm not careful.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Thanks From:

Sam, it doesn't make us safer. It may, in fact, be the opposite.

Pilots that I know call it "Security Theater."

So if a terrorist needs to get "something" inside the secure perimeter, who is likely to accept a bribe? A traveling businessman or a vacationing family - or maybe an (airport or government) employee, with limited education, a high debt load and a lackluster, dead-end, thankless job? There are dozen of those employees, maybe even hundreds, at all of our major airports all the time.

On a recent trip, while waiting near a departure gate, I watched an old(er) female custodian literally dumpster-diving all of the trash cans within sight and putting some "stuff" in her pockets. She saw me watching on her return trip and told me she was looking for something.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread