Variety of Domain name registrars?
    I have seen an occassional reference to this while searching the forums, but I would like to see if I can get more specifically detialed input if possible, so here goes....

If I want to purchase more than one domain name, should I not do this at the same registrar?

i.e...I am considering hostgator for two domain names to start out with. Should I find a different provider for the second (or third) to avoid future unforeseen complications? Why or why not? Would you reccommend a different provider?

BTW....based on what input I have read in the forum search, I will NOT be using Godaddy for either name purchase nor hosting, and because of said search (and golden advice from Chuck Hamrick) I will not be using ANY single provider for both services, either.

Thanks in advance.

why are you going to use hostgator for any domains?

use a major domain registrar for your domains.

use a webhost for your website.
    The internet is a fad.

Affiliate Manager
    HostGator uses eNom (as a reseller) and LaunchPad as their registrars. They are not themselves a registrar, although LaunchPad is owned by HostGator, so you're still relying on that corporation overall. Compare prices and service with just buying straight from eNom and not through a reseller; frequently it is cheaper. Namecheap is also supposed to be pretty good from a customer service standpoint.

I personally have domains registered through GoDaddy (I do not host with them) and have not had any problems, but there are always good and bad stories out there for pretty much any product.

If you plan to resell domains in the future, start now with Resellerclub. Very affordable!

But just use them as your domain registrar, don't use hosting or any other services. They simply don't compete on price or quality of service except in domain registration service.

I use different domain registrars. I find the cheapest one here in needed area, 'cause sometimes I have orders in .ca, in .de and so on. So it better to search the cheapest one.

I like 1&1 as a registrar.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7 View Post
    I like 1&1 as a registrar.
    Actually 1&1 interface is not easy and very slow in updating DNS and other domain records.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Choices, choices, choices:

Current 15% Off PROMO ABW15 Through 12/31/2014
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/merch...ns-166174.html

Save even more on domain registrations while making money - become a reseller, today!
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/merch...me-166464.html
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Personally I like to keep all my domains with one registra for ease and consistency. I have always been happy with GoDaddy because their platform is easy to use and the support is excellent. I don't host my sites with them however. The other registra I have used is Namecheap. I also use a coupon finder with GoDaddy called Honey and my last domain cost 1.95!

Namecheap...all the way...along with your domain they give you a year of privacy protection so that your info is hidden from the public. There are reasons as to why you wouldn't want your information publicly accessible (and no it is nothing illegal related).

Some web hosting promoters offer special promo that offer comes a free domain for first year.To get those promo you may need to buy hosting from them for one year at cost of 10$ per year and you get a full domain free for one year. I think this cost is justifiable since you get hosting as well as domain registration with very little investment. I have seen softnwords.in offers this special price
    [URL="http://www.softnwords.com"]Unique articles and content listing[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by skyguide View Post
    Some web hosting promoters offer special promo that offer comes a free domain for first year.To get those promo you may need to buy hosting from them for one year at cost of 10$ per year and you get a full domain free for one year. I think this cost is justifiable since you get hosting as well as domain registration with very little investment. I have seen softnwords.in offers this special price
    Avoid having your registrar and host being the same as much as possible.
    If you have issues with one aspect, both can be screwed.
    Example, once I had a host that you paid for a year, received a "free" domain and a ton of "extras"
    This issue was downtime with that host. Think I could move that domain? Nope. Major issues, significant downtime continued until that year was up and then nothing but hassles trying to transfer away and all of a sudden they tried to ding me for some of the "included extras."
    The worst part, prior to the issues, I referred someone to them who moved their company site there. They had to threaten legal action to get out of that mess.
    This was a long time ago. That company is still around and while writing this I just checked some of their reviews which run from 1.3 to 2 out of 5 on multiple sites. Same offer, same pricing, same extras, same issues.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by popdawg View Post
    Avoid having your registrar and host being the same as much as possible.
    If you have issues with one aspect, both can be screwed.
    Example, once I had a host that you paid for a year, received a "free" domain and a ton of "extras"
    This issue was downtime with that host. Think I could move that domain? Nope. Major issues, significant downtime continued until that year was up and then nothing but hassles trying to transfer away and all of a sudden they tried to ding me for some of the "included extras."
    The worst part, prior to the issues, I referred someone to them who moved their company site there. They had to threaten legal action to get out of that mess.
    This was a long time ago. That company is still around and while writing this I just checked some of their reviews which run from 1.3 to 2 out of 5 on multiple sites. Same offer, same pricing, same extras, same issues.
    Hard to know your real story that stuck up with hosting provider years ago. I do agree your point is valid for couple years.Today Hosting has got new dimensions. Even internet gateway has been shifted to fiber optics connection. I bet Hosting Servers are more faster than anything before and I bet the reference I gave is having redundant servers in Germany, UK and USA.
    Last edited by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow; November 29th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    [URL="http://www.softnwords.com"]Unique articles and content listing[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by skyguide View Post
    Hard to know your real story that stuck up with hosting provider years ago. I do agree your point is valid for couple years.Today Hosting has got new dimensions.
    not sure I understand what you are trying to say here so before I respond to this I'll ask you to clarify.

As for the rest, yes hardware is faster than ever. Connections are faster than ever. And I have no doubt your host is wonderful with redundant servers worldwide.

I never said they weren't.

But, I and many others avoid registering domains with the same company used to host them. We do this for a multitude of reasons. I listed one of mine above. If you want more, do a search on this and pretty much every other board related to hosting, domains, etc.

Is there going to be an issue for you with having the same company handling both? Maybe, maybe not. But I would rather play it safe and avoid any possible future issues.

That's the nice thing about forums. We get to express our opinions and experiences with each other. Doesn't mean we have to listen or agree with each other.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

actually if you register at the same registar is more good for easy manage your domain account

16. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread