Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valueclick / Conversant Network sent us junk leads and now charging us
    We signed up with what used to be an adnetwork. They said they would work with us on a CPA basis. The CPA for us was a signup to our form for a 30 day free trial of our software. It is a cloud based (SAAS) application on a monthly subscription basis. It is aimed at B2B providers. I was clear on who the target audience was and the kind of people who we were looking to signup. However, after the campaign started we were getting very low quality (junk) signups. These were almost all from two gaming sites, they all were chinese names and they were all yahoo email IDs. There were no valid business names.

They have sent me an invoice for these as well.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Sorry that happened to you. Check out the contract to see exactly what is specified to see if you are obligated to pay. Did you negotiate any kind of quality metrics?
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

I did discuss this with them over the phone. He agreed to it. However, I don't have it written down. We just signed the IO (Insertion order) which did not have any of these details in it.

Default Network sent us junk leads and now charging us
    We signed up with Valueclick / Conversant to run a CPA program (for leads). When the campaign started running, I noticed that the leads (our signup form) they were generating were junk leads. Fake chinese names, invalid email IDs, wrong phone numbers , fake business names. They were predominantely from gaming sites. Now, they sent us an invoice for these leads. The communication is so bad that I am not able to get intouch and resolve the issue properly.

How can I resolve this?

Unfortunately that happens a LOT with many of the CPA networks. There usually is little to no resolution to be had. That's a good example of why (most of) the people here work with the CPS model. We sell real products for real commissions.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I've merged your two threads together and moved them to the Starting an Affiliate Program sub-forum.

Unfortunately, the CPA Affiliate word is filled with this kind of fraud, as Bill pointed out. It sounds like you only got hit with a minimal amount of fraud compared to most. Read through this to see what other types of things to watch out for:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/start...tml#post700247

You'll be much better off if you can find a way to pay (a higher rate) for conversions rather than just leads.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Send back the fraudulent leads and ask them to deduct them from your invoice. Refuse to pay it until done so. Play the "brain drain" with them.

8. Thanks From:

What if they bring up "contratual obligations" or threaten legal action or something.

Expect it but doesn't mean they will pursue. Or you can sit back and wait for them to send you to collections. If you control the conversation then you have a chance at beating them at their own game.

11. Thanks From:

I did send a very detailed email about the several issues that I faced. The quality of the leads, just a single point of contact, that contact not responding to phone calls;emails;or voice mails. However, I am not getting a response from the guy. If I send an email to accounting, they are sending it back to him. He was the salesperson before the campaign flighted (handled the enquiry and setup) but I was not introduced to a campaign manager to anything. Just a single point of contact who is not responsive. So, not sure what to do next.

They are playing the game and so should you. You pay nothing until you get someone on the phone who agrees to correct the fraudulent leads. If they threaten you with a collection or negative credit report then go to your and their states attorney generals for relief. I would bet if you contacted their states attorney general you would get an earful of other complaints.

What's the name of this Ad network?

valueclick / conversant

Where are you located?

We are a California (San Francisco) based company?

Recommend not trying to do this via email, pick up the phone and work on this until you either get a resolution or have to go to the states attorney general for relief. If they are just sending you an invoice then fax it back with your requirements.

I am been trying to get intouch with my account executive at their company through phone. He is not responding to phone calls, voice mails, or emails. He was the only contact there. If I send an email to their billing, it is bouncing. If I send an email to their accounting, it is sent back to him. If I call their accounting, no one is answering.

Then ignore the bill until someone calls you or threatens collections. Your account exec was most likely a sales rep who got paid for bringing in the account and has nothing to do with it after. Are they harassing you for payment?

When I got intouch with them, someone with the title (saw this on their email signature) got intouch with me and helped setup the campaign. Yes. He is most likely a sales rep. During the course of the discussion, he did say that he would introduce me to an account manager (I asked for the campaign manager and this is who he said he would put me in touch with). However, that never happened.

So, I was intouch with him when the campaign was launching (after the signing of the IO). The communication even during this phase was tough. However, a week after the campaign was launched I asked him to pause the campaign since I was not happy with the results. During these 7 days, I kept asking him for reports and an intro the AM but that never happened.

The campaign ran for 9 days or something (end of one month and the beginning of the next). So, they sent one invoice. I told them I had several issues with it. Sent them an email with all the issues. Got intouch through phone as well. He said he would get back (never happened). Now, they sent another invoice. Now I can't even get intouch with them.

They are not harassing me for payment right now. But I am concerned they might do something.

If I was the business owner, it might have been a different issue. However, I am an employee here at the company and this would get me in trouble. Might even lose my job over this.

Perhaps Phil the Admin (retired lawyer) can help on this as he is in CA too.

Ok. Thanks Chuck.

I am willing to hire the right legal help to get this resolved. Just need help pointing me in the right direction.

I have had a similar experience in the past, it is why I tread very carefully and only engage in CPA with people I have an existing relationship with. We use Bronto, which does a lot of the filtering for us. Also, prior to signing any IOs we write out what we expect of our leads, no emails stemming from a foreign country, passing Bronto's filtering methods, and excluding any points or "complete to earn" referrers are minimums.

Good news is that once you make the mistake, you probably won't repeat it, and if you are transparent with most REAL publishers, they will work with you. Good luck Qwerty.

Have they done anything legally against you or sent a negative report to the credit bureaus? Why would you hire a lawyer if they just send you a bill?

So far nothing legal has been done. But someone from the collections department contacted us and asked us to pay the full amount. My contact person with who I was discussing had earlier said that he was discussing with the team internally and will decide how much to credit and how to we have to pay. He also said there is something wrong with all the leads and this does not usually happen. But then, he did not respond to calls or emails on the scheduled date. I kept following up repeatedly. After nearly 3 weeks, their collections person (internal) follows up. Then, the AM and this guy (AE) says I have to pay the full amount.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast