Blogging with a Purpose
    I have heard and agree with the statement "content is king." With that in mind, one purpose of blogging is to get more traffic.

Would people here agree with the statement: Every blog post should be treated like a product - with a specific goal?

Let me explain. Every blog post does not have to have affiliate links to a product that we are promoting. But every post should be treated as though we are trying reach a specific goal. Useful, quality content that will keep readers engaged to perhaps come back or to go to another page that does have opportunity for them to click on a product promotion.

So, what do people think about this train of thought regarding blogging?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I do agree with you that each post should be worthy of reading to encourage audience loyalty. I don't think we have to use the same formula as the one for Twitter or FB - only one promotional post out of ten comments, but rather that we do things naturally. If a link is appropriate for that post, include it; if it isn't, don't force it in. I'm all about quality posts, so go for it!
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The most successful content affiliates I have worked with wrote copy to answer the question their site visitor came to answer. In this case it was to buy a treadmill and they culminated the page copy with a buy recommendation, direct language monetized with an affiliate link. They may have been reading a review for Product B at $1500 price point but the buy recommendation was for Product A their recommendation at $1500.

If you are writing a blog about your hiking experience you can mention that you used GPS and link to that product page. Or you bought and tested a tent or backpack then include a link to that product to a more detailed review page on your site. The purpose of this blog example was about hiking and your trip but you suggestively see products at the same time. Or you can mention the product and show a banner or product image taken from the merchants datafeed on the side of the text block.

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    I think our number one goal should be to meet the visitor's need, with our secondary goals left in the background. Informative posts with content that is sought after by the visitor CAN be embedded with affiliate links, but only if appropriate. I'm sure I'm not the only one to be annoyed to visit a site that seems to have affiliate links EVERYWHERE when I was just looking up a quick, "how to". Also, I think it's only ethical to include affiliate links that you would stand behind if all of your visitors knew you in real life. I realize that this is somewhat old-fashioned these days, but I really think it goes much further (in terms of sales) if people know that they can trust your opinion...otherwise they'll learn not to re-visit the site.
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR, [URL="http://bit.ly/1oapxzB"]Boost Affiliates[/URL]

7. Thanks From:

Blog With An Objective
    It is extremely important that you have an idea which you need to explore through the means of questions and counter questions going hand in hand. It takes into count many metrics before writing a blog. You can not just blog down without a set motive in your mind.

There should always be a trigger point that lets you initiate the whole discussion, as blog writing is a personalized form of writing which is meant to simplify all the questions that might come up. Moreover it is quite feasible to have all points chalked out beforehand so that it can be a persistent process rather than an interrupted one.

I regularly put my YT videos as a blog post without affiliate links, product images or banners etc. Nice for your readers to feel you are not constantly pushing to sell to them & enjoy giving them value.

Cheers
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry Cross; October 20th, 2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling

I would not agree that every blog post should be treated like a product with a specific goal. If it is this way, so most probably this blog is full of spam messages. And then it loses its value. I say, write post and link it to your product when you have something to say and it's relevant. From my own experience, i started blogging and realize that it's a good way to grow my expertise in Internet marketing and also share my knowledge of Russian online market which is not very talked subject so my opinion was quite useful for others i hope.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by waynezazz View Post
    I have heard and agree with the statement "content is king." With that in mind, one purpose of blogging is to get more traffic.

Would people here agree with the statement: Every blog post should be treated like a product - with a specific goal?

Let me explain. Every blog post does not have to have affiliate links to a product that we are promoting. But every post should be treated as though we are trying reach a specific goal. Useful, quality content that will keep readers engaged to perhaps come back or to go to another page that does have opportunity for them to click on a product promotion.

So, what do people think about this train of thought regarding blogging?
    I agree with you. I believe every blog should be treated like a product. It should be developed well. It should be informative, and engaging. Your customers should love it, and they should be looking forward to your next blog.

The goal should be to keep customers coming back to your page again and again

Quote Originally Posted by Sveta Meisak View Post
    I would not agree that every blog post should be treated like a product with a specific goal. If it is this way, so most probably this blog is full of spam messages..
    I guess you didn't carefully read what waynezazz said.
    Based on my understanding, it should not be written for promotion purposes but beyond that. Content should be more focused on what users might would have want to read, something that will interests them to keep stay or to keep them coming. It's more about quality not just promotion alone.

Thanks for your comment. I guess I did not put it right and that's why you misunderstood me. All i meant that blogging should start with genuine interest in the subject you right about. If the writer is passionate about the subject, has the right expertise that he/she can share than such post has a good potential to be heard.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread