ABW Ambassador
    Guys, I recently upgraded to Windows XP. I noticed alot of stuff is now re-routed through C:\\Documents and Settings

My cookies folder is now via this route. I noticed there are sites like Hotmail (login)
    and the new CJ merchant (Weight Watchers)
    site where it is thought that I have cookies disabled when accessing (since my XP upgrade)

I've gone to IE6 settings, selected to accept "all" cookies, but to no avail. The cookies are showing up from theses sites in the cookie folder, but I think they can't find the route to find the cookies.

Someone please calm my fear in thinking possibly Windows XP upgrade folks are lost revenue due to cookies not being found.

This just couldn't be true. If someone has a clue as to why I can't access cookie required sites, please clue me in. The cookies are being written, but for some strange reason they think they're just not there.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry I dont have an answer to your question but I recently upgraded as well and what I'm seeing is many merchants writing a cookie when my page is loaded. I did not put accept all cookies just so I can get a grasp on which merchants are doing this and will react accordingly. It's weird because I see some links that do cause a cookie write while many other do not for the same merchant - so there is not a blanket statement that they do. The cookie write does not necessarily appear to overwrite the affiliate cookie but from a user perspective the customer doesnt know if it's my site or my merchant whos attempting to track their movements unless they look at it in detail. I suspect many users will just get turned off by failed cookie writes and assujme the site is trying to track them for one reason or another. Frankly, I hate this situation.

I'm also having trouble networking between my 98 machines and the xp machine and have seen via searches on the net that many others have had the same problem but have not found a clear answer on how to fix the problem. I'm about to throw my hands in and just load 98 SE!

Poon,

The Windows 98 / Windows XP networking issue usually can be fixed by getting rid of all protcols except TCP/IP.

Also try on the XP machine creating the diskette for making a home network, and running it on the Win98 machines.

Kelly,

The problem you are seeing is not common. I upgrade machines to Windows XP all the time (several a week), and have never seen that issue. If you want to change the location of your cookie folder back to where it used to be, you can do it through TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, click the SETTINGS button half way down the screen and choose the MOVE FOLDER button.

I'd also look at resetting your IE settings to defaults. To me it sounds more like an issue with IE's security settings.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the input.

It's obviously an IE6/XP situation. I fire up Netscape 4.7 and I get through.

All my IE6 settings are as before the XP update. The privacy tab settings set to accept all cookies.

As far as I know, the privacy settings are the only browser settings that dictate whether cookies are accepted or not.

The fact that the cookies are indeed being written and showing up in the cookies folder prove that the browser is indeed cookies enabled.

Why these particular sites cannot find the cookies they have written on my machine is still a mystery.

I'm assuming this is the way they detect whether the browser is cookies enabled or not...by commanding a cookie to be written, then looking for it on the machine.

If so, they just don't know the new XP route to the cookie folder.

ABW Ambassador
    Why do they know the route to the cookie jar when I use Netscape, but not when I use IE6?

Oh well, I'm back to making websites and selling stuff. Wish I knew computers better.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I fire up Netscape 4.7

Download Netscape 7.02 and try the tabbed windows.

They rock.

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    or even better, Mozilla...

or phoenix...

Yes, Its hard to imagine life w/o tabs ...

err tabbed browsing

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Why these particular sites cannot find the cookies they have written on my machine is still a mystery.

I'm assuming this is the way they detect whether the browser is cookies enabled or not...by commanding a cookie to be written, then looking for it on the machine.

If so, they just don't know the new XP route to the cookie folder.

LOL, I'm not sure what you['re saying. What do you mean the websites don't find the cookies? Can you explain more? Are the sites giving some message that you don't have the cookie?

The browser actually sends the cookie to the site on requests for pages,the site doenst come get it...

Very interested in whats really going on, but, not understanding what you mean... Sorry if I'm just misunderstanding.

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

ABW Ambassador
    The Weight Watchers site, Hotmail login, and other sites do not recognise that I have cookies enabled.

(Hey, you'd think Weight Watchers would be OK with the no cookies )

Whatever the correct technical walkthrough as to what exactly happens and how it happens, they think my browser has disallowed cookies.

Fine, so I fire up Netscape to check Hotmail. No problem.

So they're looking through C:\Windows\Cookies ...rather than XP's C:\Documents and Settings\default\Cookies ???

Who knows, all I know is I'm sitting here with privacy settings allowing all cookies.

ABW Ambassador
    After further reading, I've come to understand that the cookie requiring site gives you a cookie, and you're suppose to give a copy of it right back.

Apparently, the way my 98/XP/IE6 setup has arranged things is, "we accept cookies, but we don't give em back"...or rather, "ask us for our cookies where they ain't at, and we'll just respond that they ain't there".

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    kelly626... I too am not quite sure what it is you are having problems with. Are you getting messages from these sites that cookies must be enabled? Check you advanced settings under Privacy in IE and make sure something with the cookie overwrite hasn't been checked. Also don't know what all was included in these or what issues were addressed, but the have been Service Packs for both IE 6.0 and XP. Make sure that you have updated XP and IE with all available patches. Go to your Help and Support section from your Start Menu and run the Windows Update from there. If nothing else, there have been many updates and you should run this anyway.

quote:
    Happypoon said:
    I'm also having trouble networking between my 98 machines and the xp machine and have seen via searches on the net that many others have had the same problem but have not found a clear answer on how to fix the problem. I'm about to throw my hands in and just load 98 SE!

Oh yes! I lived through that one and did quite a bit of I was able to network all computers just fine as far as my cable access but could not get the XP and 98 computers to recognize each other. Tried the wizard thing with the 98 disc...waste of time and a floppy disc. After many days and a no go, I finally broke down and had someone come out to look at the problem. There was a bit of for that poor guy also. Anyway, how he finally got things to work is that he installed a netowrk protocol called NetBEUI Protocol. This protocol is on your XP CD, but does not install by default on your hard drive. As soon as he installed that, it worked like a charm. I have all the following protocols installed and checked of in my network settings: Client for MS Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, NetBEUI Protocol, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Dig out your XP CD and search it for the NetBEUI and see if that works for you.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Kelly,

Keep in mind IE and Netscape store cookies in completely separate places. Netscape pretty well ignores all your IE settings.

I agree with BLFH, install all the patches and updates for Windows updates.

Also, are you running anykind of Internet Firewall software?

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Are you getting messages from these sites that cookies must be enabled?

Exactly.

MSN doesn't let me access my inbox, and Weight Watchers won't let me in their site. Oh well.

I dealt with the same problem where my gf works tonight kelly. I couldn't log into hotmail no matter how much I relaxed security and privacy settings. It kept saying I needed to set it to accept cookies, which I had already done.

Core

"So it's a profit thing..." - Steve Martin

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info blfh....

It will easier to add a protocal on a single machine rather than deleting every protocal from every other machine on my network. Oooops, after looking maybe not - LOL. My order did not come with an xp disk. Arggggggggggggh!

Yall upgraded to XP, but did you later reinstall IE?

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Happypoon said:
    It will easier to add a protocal on a single machine rather than deleting every protocal from every other machine on my network. Oooops, after looking maybe not - LOL. My order did not come with an xp disk. Arggggggggggggh!

poon. Try searching the web for that protocol file to see if you can download it. If not, let me know and I'll dig for my xp disc and make you a copy.

It really figures that MS would not have their site compliant with their own darn software.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread