Contacting non affiliate merchants
    Can you contact an merchant that's not in the affiliate network to ask them to join because you like there product and want to work with them and if so how do you go about it on an professional approach

I'd argue that you HAVE to contact affiliates that aren't already in a network if you want to grow a vital program.

When I find a blog or a website that pertains to my industry, I send them an email to try to get them to sign up. When we launched our real estate training courses, I wrote this to a lot of real estate blogs:

As the merchandising manager at the most established provider of online real estate education (agentcampus.com), my goal is to build mutually profitable strategic partnerships.

We need partners to get the word out about our great offers. In exchange, affiliate partners earn a 15 percent referral bonus on every course sold. Our average order value (AOV) for real estate is $138, so it’s easy to see how promoting our courses could benefit you.

We just launched our biggest sale ever on Guaranteed Low-Price Real Estate Training. We also run promotions in all of our industries (from construction to cosmetology). To sign up for our affiliate program (at no cost, of course), visit this link: Affiliate Sign Up - 360training.com. If you have questions, email me for links to banner ads and landing pages.

You can learn more about our Guaranteed Low-Price Real Estate Training Courses here: Real Estate License Class | agentcampus.com

etc, etc, with contact info (phone and email).

Recruiting new affiliates involves educating them about what affiliate marketing is... I find most of them think I'm trying to sell them something. They don't want to believe it when I tell them I'm actually trying to make them money.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Sicpaso, the basic analysis that Marshall wrote does apply to merchants as well. With merchants, however, you have a problem of reaching the right person to try to educate about affiliate marketing. You can try by phone, or email, or even snail mail, to reach an appropriate person, and describe the benefits that affiliate marketing would have for them. I would not, however, push any one network, as they might then think that you have a financial interest in getting them to join that particular network. Rather, you can give them basic information about two or three networks. For a small merchant, networks with the lowest up front costs would also be more attractive.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    If you have a track record of success with similar merchants, would be totally worthwhile to communicate that so they can understand the potential. It wouldn't hurt to round up a sales contact with your favorite affiliate network or OPM agencies and pass on the leads. They will generally make it worth your while and will appreciate "warmed up" leads.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Good advice from Wade - sic an OPM on them, they have experience in how to handle and how to convince a merchant that affiliate marketing can be a winner for them.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I wish more OPM's were a little more proactive about finding/identifying merchants and pitching to them... there are a lot of gems out there in untapped niches, and the early bird gets the worm.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

7. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    partnerships with affiliates can be huge here... not all OPM's have big biz dev teams, but if you have an OPM you work well with in a Niche, you can team up to bring on merchants that will benefit both of you for the sites you already work together on.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

9. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I wish more OPM's were a little more proactive about finding/identifying merchants and pitching to them... there are a lot of gems out there in untapped niches, and the early bird gets the worm.
    It works both ways, I jump on it when an affiliate says they would like to target a merchant as they have traffic ready to go. Makes closing the merchant a lot easier. I have talked to some merchants for several years before they pull the trigger.

Also OPMs will pay a referral fee if they land the merchant and launch a new program. We are happy to spread the wealth.

Thank you

Outsourced Program Manager
    What works best from my perspective, as an OPM BD guy, is if an affiliate or three contacts the merchant to inquire about an affiliate program. Some have private programs that you won't find on your own, but they may let you in if you ask. If they don't have a program, or they let you into a private program that you don't trust (poor tracking software, set up in a way that makes you wonder if you will get paid when you deliver), then you can introduce them to your favorite OPM.
    The hardest part, as Phil noted, is finding the right contact at the merchant.
    When I get leads from affiliates who have inquired with a merchant, but found that they don't have an affiliate program, it makes starting the conversation much easier.
    When you reach out to a merchant, remember that there are a wide range of pre-conceived notions as to exactly what an affiliate program is, and isn't. I've found it best to do a quick Affiliate Marketing 101 review to be sure we are on the same page.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread