ABW Ambassador
    These last couple of weeks I have had better than average traffic, and click-throughs, but no sales. I have never been the big complainer about someone turning off the "tracking switch", as I have usually been the one to poke fun at those who do. I'm complaining NOW! arghhhhhhh! what is going on? Has there been a problem with tracking?

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

Big Chuck,

Didn't you know that tracking is never affected? That's right. It's true. CJ says so. Uh-huh...

The fact that you're having good traffic, click throughs, and no sales isn't their problem. Really. It isn't. Because tracking isn't affected.

Seriously, I have periods like this as well. It just doesn't make sense. An excellent merchant who normally performs very well just stops converting. Nothing has changed that I can see, traffic and click throughs remain steady, but no sales.

It really does make one think that something isn't working properly, intentionally or not.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Today you have to do 10 times the work for 1/4 of the sales due to so many outside influences.

Rgds, DPG

deleted [wrong thread]

ABW Ambassador
    They doors aren't closed. The ads are serving. The tracking is running. Only our abilty to track these in real-time is affected.

Rgds, DPG

quote:
    Today you have to do 10 times the work for 1/4 of the sales due to so many outside influences.

I'm afraid that's very true. Was thinking something very similar over the weekend. With scumware stealing who-knows-how-many of our sales, and more people dowloading these programs every day, it's almost a losing fight. I'm getting more and more depressed about the long-term future of affilate marketing if these parasites continue to steal our visitors and sales.

Battling through theifware, keep=no, out of stock items, deactivated merchants and the jungle of great merchants and bad apples to try to make a cent.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Anymore, whenever I see a decrease in sales like what I've had over the last few weeks, I immediately start thinking that there must be a new parasite out there, or an old one using a new twist.

Not to sound paranoid, but, well, I am. It would not surprise me in the least to see some new opponent out there that we are jus not aware of yet.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

At times it almost seems as though sales are inverse to click throughs. I know that is not the case but the wide swings make it seem so. Mine have always been on huge sign wave for which I have never had an answer.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

ABW Ambassador
    The economy and the war situation in Iraq are also undoubtedly influencing sales. Since late Feb., I've noticed a downtick in conversion ratios for all of my programs - even consistent ones like Amazon. Average order size has also gone down over the past several weeks.

Jim

Well, I for one don't think that tracking has been affected.

I keep seeing more and more clicks and impressions...

What I think, is the "Posting of Sales" has been affected..

This makes me wonder...

Why are they upgrading again, when my sales have been taking a nose-dive since the last 2 upgrades.

Aren't they worried that they will fix something by mistake?

Cow Patch...

ABW Ambassador
    I have a record month going so far.

This is due in large to my recent expansion of merchants I'm sure, but I think higher gas prices may have persuaded some to shop more online than travel across town (for certain stuff).

The last few days though have been slow. Was sort of expecting the major CJ maintenance run.
    Difinitely think there are some reporting inprovements to be made.

Thoughts of possible war may greatly influence how you do business on Wall Street, but it ain't going to keep you from buying underwear when you need it.

Besides, if you're really that scared of the war, you're going to need some new shorts I suppose.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Why are they upgrading again, when my sales have been taking a nose-dive since the last 2 upgrades.
    Cow Patch...

I do not think they are upgrading anything. Generally CJ will put advanced notice in case of planned upgrade. This must be some sort of unplanned outage. Crash or whatever?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo

I'm like you guys, my visitors are up from last year. My clicks are up but over the last couple weeks sales haven't been coming very fast. We can blame parasites or poor tracking or something. But it might just be that people aren't buying. If my sales from cj was just down, or linkshare, or an independant merchant was down. But its all of them, across the board When this happens, I can't blame it on parasites or tracking, It's just the way it is. I could be wrong. Who knows
    On a brighter note, sales seem to be picking up again, must be the warm weather getting people ready to buy cow themed products.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow and horse gifts and collectibles

ABW Ambassador
    Do you offer Bovine injections ojmoo? The reason I ask is because I've got these frown lines from no CJ sales showing up today.

SAS is tracking pretty good today. I'm going to go check out the new merchants there this evening.

Where are sales from monday 3/17 ?
    Other stats elevated but no sales.
    Something not right at CJville

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    No, but I can give you a milk mustache to cover it up
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow and horse gifts and collectibles

Let's hope we have yet to see sales from the advertisers that batch their transactions.

My sales have been pretty dead for over six months, with the exception of Amazon.com stuff, which has perked up to the point where I finally get quarterly, tho small, checks.

SEO SEO SEO I guess!

ABW Ambassador
    I think affiliate marketing on the whole should see a declining EPC. The reason is that people have are getting faster connections to the net and and clicking on more things between each buy.

Web sites built on data feeds will probably result in a sizeable decrease EPC for all of us. The poll about web site size is extremely telling.

The last few weeks, however, have been a lot worse than expected.

In the past few weeks, my EPC has fallen about 70% and my EPM about 90%. Things aren't looking good. My biggest fear is that "the list" has relegitimized the parasites.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok. I think I know the problem. Yesterday my traffic, across my three sites remained as it has been - on a slow, steady increase. My click-throughs drastically decreased! There is a mention of cj links getting indexed in Google results, here. This explains the high click-throughs, possibly. Now, that CJ has done thier unexpected update, the click-throughs have decreased. My sales, yesterday, are back, and hopefully my epc will improve.

I wonder if merchants/CJ were holding back sales until the glitch was fixed? Has there been an explanation anywhere as to what the update was about?

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

I've also seen a huge drop off of sales in the past week on CJ, along with slightly up clicks and impressions. The drop off is so severe that I don't think it is related to a slowdown because of war. I think something is funked up at CJ. Especially since it comes at the same time as the system downtime a few days ago.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread