ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down JibJab threatens legal action if links not removed
    JibJab has requested that all affiliates remove tracking links.

Failure to comply with this request may result in legal action from JibJab.
    How do networks allow this kind of behavior? In the threat email of course they didn't provide a date by which the links will need to be removed, just the threat. Are they going to start suing affiliates from tomorrow!

If you have a content site and have text links embedded all over the place, how do you find and replace them all with a short notice.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I haven't received this email, but I did get a nasty message from them when they closed the program - they made it sound like I have violated every rule in the affiliate marketing book and were kicking just me out of their program.

But as to the email, what a crock!

I did remove some obvious links but I might have a few in past blog posts, and the time it would take to go through them and remove them could certainly be better spent.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Sounds like an SEO mess on their part. Blaming affiliates is just silly.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

I was just coming to post about this. My guess is that there were subnetworks involved and maybe even some kind of incentivization.

"JibJab has noticed a significant amount of fraudulent traffic coming from affiliate networks. We are currently investigating the various publishers and the quality of traffic they've driven in 2014 YTD. We have the ability to track sales to the individual publishers, so we will be doing a full investigation into ALL publishers, regardless of the volume they have driven. JibJab will be taking legal action against the publishers who were paid commissions for fraudulent subscriptions to JibJab.com."

What really surprises me is....how did the OPM not notice that this was happening all this time? Surely they watch to see how much volume certain affiliates are sending, where the traffic is coming from, etc? Did JibJab never process cancellations for the fraudulent traffic? If they didn't, the OPM could not have known that the traffic was bad. If they did know, they could have shut out those affiliates.

This is a perfect example of mismanagement of a program. Fraudulent traffic can be spotted pretty darn fast by most OPMs who are working closely with the merchants AND the affiliates. It may take a few weeks or a month, but not 8 months of a year and enough to ruin a program.

And then to send an email out to ALL of your affiliates making them feel like crooks when it was likely just a couple of bad eggs and the problem was really with the management of the program? Just unacceptable.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    This is a perfect example of mismanagement of a program. Fraudulent traffic can be spotted pretty darn fast by most OPMs who are working closely with the merchants AND the affiliates. It may take a few weeks or a month, but not 8 months of a year and enough to ruin a program.
    Exactly! Were they not monitoring all their incoming referrals in real-time? I know that I inspect every referral that comes in for my program to make sure that it's legitimate and not a fraud order or someone kiting someone else's legitimate referral in a shady way. And if I missed one, it seems like that would be my fault as the AM; penalizing and threatening all my affiliates due to the actions of a few that I did not catch seems very ridiculous.

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineTricia View Post
    Just unacceptable.
    That was my thought too. Jabbed, I mean dropped, them immediately.

If they suspected fraud they should have just kept their mouths shut, run their investigation thoroughly and swiftly internally, and handled it respectfully. Instead it sounds and looks like a reactionary, heavy-handed play that will very likely only damage them further, with legitimate publishers.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]Online Marketing Manager[/B] (tom.featherstone at surlatable dot com)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Sur La Table - The Art and Soul of Cooking[/COLOR][/SIZE]

9. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Pretty pissy - wonder how they treat their paying customers...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Sounds like they need a new OPM.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

12. Thanks From:

Ah...just took a look and I would have judged a long time ago there would be problems. The affiliate page on their site still lists the OPM and the FIVE NETWORKS on which they can be found. YIKES!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

14. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Exactly! Were they not monitoring all their incoming referrals in real-time? I know that I inspect every referral that comes in for my program to make sure that it's legitimate and not a fraud order or someone kiting someone else's legitimate referral in a shady way. And if I missed one, it seems like that would be my fault as the AM; penalizing and threatening all my affiliates due to the actions of a few that I did not catch seems very ridiculous.
    I don't know who their OPM was, but as an OPM I can say that we often do not have the bandwidth to check every. single. referring. url. for very high-traffic programs.

That said, though, I do agree that there should have been other flags they could have caught long before 8 months into the year that would have given them a hint that something was fishy.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread