ODesk Enforces a Minimum Hourly Rate!
    Definitely a WTF for me:
    Beginning November 15, 2014, a minimum rate of $3.00 per hour (including the oDesk fee) will be required for all new hires on hourly contracts. After considering the diversity of work on our platform and the vast differences in hourly rates worldwide, we believe the new hourly minimum will benefit all clients by setting an expectation for higher quality work.
    So I have a competent full time contractor in a 3rd world country. He has a college degree, lives in a village in the middle of nowhere. He has a house, three computers, a strong internet connection, a cook, and a nanny and works for $2 bucks an hour plus performance bonuses. Now I'm going to be forced to give him a 50% raise because of ODesk? I know they say that existing contracts can continue at less than $3 bucks an hour, but am I really going to be able to retain him if I don't pay the minimum?

Odesk claims this is designed to raise the quality of work and raise expectations among workers. I think it is just a money grab in order to improve their revenue. The quality of work I'm receiving at $2 bucks an hour is just fine!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I'm speechless. And that's not easy to do.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

3. Thanks From:

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Over.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    $80 a week is only 50 a week for a 40 hour week now rising to $120 (approx 70). In some countries (many in South America for example) average salaries for professional people are running at $150-$200 a week and domestic staff for as little as $10 a week. In India professional people generally earn around $12,000 - $14,000 a year. So judging by your rates I assume someone in South America? If so then even for there you are under paying at present for staff with a degree.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp View Post
    So judging by your rates I assume someone in South America?
    No, not South America its the Philippines and I think he is earning the equivalent of a physician's salary, believe it or not when you factor in bonuses and working more than 40 hours a week. I wonder why doctors make less than teachers in the Philippines? With the new pay rate he will earn more than a teacher.

1 Philippine Peso = .02 US dollars:
    http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...obtype=1&job=2

Anyway, the above salary chart just goes to show how weird it is to enforce a $3 US an hour minimum wage for non US workers. Here is another shocker. Workers in Pakistan. I once hired a guy with a PHD for like $2.4 an hour.

1 Pakistani Ruppe = .0098 US dollars
    http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...=164&loctype=1

I've never hired someone from Bangladesh, but their salaries are also very low.

1 Bangladeshi Taka = .013 US dollars
    http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary...btype=1&job=22
    Last edited by isellstuff; August 26th, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I represent a firm in Pakistan that produces scripts, web designs and various software solutions. I don't pay them hourly but per job when hiring them and if securing work for them, they usually charge per job and I get a chargeback commission. Obviously they'll pay their IT staff peanuts.

Speaking of IT staff I have access to the resumes of around 2,000 Graduates and Post Graduates in IT Management who will be looking for work with western companies.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread