Our company is a leading online dvd media(dvd-r/+r,dvd-rw/+rw) and flash media dealer. we joined CJ as advertiser at the begining of this month.Until now, the result is not as good as we predicted.We have many publishers(around 400), however, few of them put our links on their websites. Our commission rate is 8% and cookie duration is 30 days, almost highest in computer hardware category. Prices of our products are very reasonable. Could anyone please give me some suggestions? I also want to know how to be a successful CJ advertiser? Thanks in advance.

Hi Roger,

Welcome to ABW.

It takes time to build a good base of productive affiliates so please don't expect miracles overnight. In my opinion an average program will only have between 10% and 20% of regular* affiliates even generating an impression in a typical month, and maybe 1 or 2% actually generating a sale (excluding those buying for themselves). I also think a typical program will take 6-12 months to really start achieving it's potential (as an example I have just grown a CJ program with 10,000 publishers 1000% (in terms of EPC, revenue, and profit) in 5 months, and I now expect the growth to stabilize).

* my definition of a regular affiliate is those who join your program through CJ, better performing affiliates need to be contacted and nurtured directly to get them to incorporate you prominently into their relevant site or to create a custom site for your program.

Here are some pointers to help kick-start your program:

- If your pricing is competitive contact every coupon site you can find and let them know you have an affiliate program and can provide them with coupons.

- Discover who links prominently to your competitors and contact them directly with a better offer (don't put down your competitors, just give then your value proposition).

- Look for related sites, techie review sites, hardware blogs, pocket pc sites, digital camera sites etc and contact them.

- For the high performers put in place an incentive program so they will want to actively try to drive sales to you.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me directly if you want some more pointers.

Regards,

Mark Mitford

ABW Ambassador
    I do not agree with coupon sites, most of them just drive your own customers that searched your store name in a search engine. It's an expensive illusion that your program works.

From a super affiliate point of view like me (yeah, I'm super , who drive sales for $200,000/monthly in CJ, conversion ratio (clicks per sale) is too much important, you need to convert well to achieve a good EPC for me, because I do not work for poor conversion stores. I geneally want a minimum $20 EPC to work and improve for a merchant.

Fer

Fer:

Normally I would agree with your comments about coupon sites, but in this instance I think they would help:

Here we have a merchant who, to my knowledge, has no brand-name recognition so very few people will be searching for their company name in search-engines. To help build brand awareness being on coupon sites would be useful so that people searching for cheap compactflash (or whatever) would be directed to this merchant instead of his better known competitors.

Regards,

Mark......

Mark Mitford

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Hi,

Communication with affiliates is very important, if affiliates know your program better, they'll promote you more.

Visit ABW more regularly and tell us why we want to promote you, that's help a lot! there are thousands of affiliates here and most of them are super affiliates, each of them can drive big time sales for you each month.

---
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ The Tathagata

ABW Ambassador
    I have an online coupon code site. Most merchants are not thrilled at my sites design, and content. However, the ones who have invested the time to provide my sites visitors with exclusive coupon codes get traffic and sales. I am one of those ad farm, "click here, buy this!" affiliates, but I do have five dollar signs (super affiliate?). I sell stuff.

Do provide someone like myself with an online coupon code (exclusive for my visitors) on a service or product (5-10% off is what I suggest), whose keyword is often searched for in the search engines.

I say exclusive coupon code for this reason: the most dreaded thing for me personally, is having to constantly search through my three sites for expired coupon codes (approx. 550 pages).

I would suggest, too, that you target your affiliates by searching through the network (if this is possible), sending them an email, and offering those affiliates a higher commission, or incentives based on performance. You can do this through CJ. Contact your rep. and they will let you know what you have to do.

If you don't have product links, or content ads, then provide those links for your affiliates. If you don't allow the advanced html option, then I would suggest you do. Let affiliates have the flexability to edit links to your site/products/services.

I hope this helps.

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

We have been with CJ as an advertiser (and publisher) for several years. I can't say I love them, but they do seem to be the lesser of the evils.

It takes a long time to get a decent affiliate base. Don't worry too much about how many you have, worry about finding good ones.

I like to work personally with the ones who have sites that provide real, qualified, visitors who make purchases. Visit their sites, try to learn what they are doing and what type of visitor they are attracting.

Then, make a suggestion or two for how some of your products might fit into their site. Explain why you think it might be a good fit, or how it might provide them a new revenue stream. Make sure you are promoting popular products that will convert for them. Most affiliates are receptive to good information that will help them earn more.

Not all advertisers are aware of what the "hot sellers" or "popular" products are. Sometimes it is even a seasonal product that has a higher demand/conversion.

Affiliates know how to promote and sell. Advertisers know which products are popular. If you get that information to your affiliates, you should see an increase in sales.

Scott

Patience is a virtue - but the wait sucks...

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Affiliates know how to promote and sell. Advertisers know which products are popular.

True. I'm an affiliate, and I'll hint as to why so many affiliates will sometimes sign up with you but rarely put up links.

(1) An affiliate signs up with numerous merchants and waits for specials or coupon codes to be announced. If those specials never come about or get announced, links don't get put up.

Alot of affiliates know something isn't going to sell if it isn't shown to be an exceptional deal, regardless of how popular the item is.

(2) Affiliates may choose to go on and try to get approved for certain merchants. After approval, they then start out building sites around these merchants. This could take months. After a certain level of traffic is achived, links go up.

(3) Affiliates go fishing. Sign up for a good variety of merchants, throw them out there for a day or two and see how many bites you get. "Baits" that don't do so well are discarded.

(4) Affiliate hits "join program" button, but forgets to check EPC or Reversal statistics first. Affiliate afterwards sees an alarming reversal rate, or fallen EPC. Links don't go up.

There are these scenarios and more.

Commission Junction is steadily increasing its number of merchants. With the constant CJ e-mails urging everyone to join new programs, the "join program" buttons are going to be clicked more often. Doesn't neccessarily mean links are going up.

How to be a successful CJ advertiser?
    Offer product links and keep them updated!
    Offer the advanced html options - image AND Url redirection so we can create our own targeted links!!! Some merchants only offer Image rdirection options, which to me is useless without URL redirection options!!

Tami

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread