How did your blog evolve?
    Question for the pros....

Did you start off with a well thought-out plan for future adding affiliate advertising the day you started your domain, or did you orginally just post blogs as ideas came to you naturally, and then structure your domain after you saw where your blogs/ideas were going?

I feel like I may be overplanning my domain with a complex map of subjects to write on and trying to fill in the subjects with a number of blogs per each subject. Maybe I should probably just post blogs from the heart, post a bunch of them, THEN decide on the site map structure.

Did you let yours grow organically over time, adding affiliate tags/ads as you went, or did you stick with a fixed game plan from day one?

Thanks in advance.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    I've found that the affiliates who have a plan do better than those that lack focus or a plan. But I am wondering about how complex your map of subjects is - if you lock in too tightly to a plan, you could miss some opportunities. When I was an affiliate, I stumbled upon a series of keywords which performed well beyond expectations, so I shifted my original plan to take advantge of the discovery. If I'd stuck with my original plan, I would have missed something big. It's good to have a plan, but keep a constant eye on your analytics and be prepared to shift if things underperform or exceed expectations.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

3. Thanks From:

Did those keywords not have anything to do with your original subjects? In what way did you change your site, and what factor did the keywords have in your decision to change strategies?

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    Yes, the keywords were directly related to the topic.

Let's use pasta as an example of the different paths you can follow with keywords. For pasta, you could go through a list that includes items like whole-wheat pasta, spinach pasta, fresh pasta, etc. A different path would be spaghetti, rigatoni, lasagna, mostaciolli. See the difference? Then adding modifiers, like classic tomato or alfredo can continue the development of long-tail keywords. Doing keyword research can help you find lots of opportunities.

The key factor was making money! Trying a few articles within that group of keywords generated some serious revenue, so I decided to complete a series and it worked.

Test, test, test. There is no formula. There is testing and learning, then adapting the plan based on what you learned.
    Jeannine Crooks - Always happy to share what I know! - Voted Best Network Rep 2013 & 2014
    Email | LinkedIn | Twitter | Affiliate Window
    US Programs | Canada Programs | UK Programs | Ireland Programs | Mainland Europe Programs

6. Thanks From:

So, tweaking your blog subjects to follow keyword paths more specifically is what worked?

Good advice! Are there any research tools out there that determine what keyword paths work better than others, or is it a matter of hit and miss?

How else would you advise on rifining/narrowing a profitable target audience? I know that all super-niches are not neccessarily profitable, even the ones that should be, I'm assuming.

Based on your personal experience, have you found that re-editing blogs to get more relevance to new keyword paths a useful strategy? Or maybe it's not so much blog-related as ad page or landing page related?

Sorry if I'm not as coherent as I should be....I'm thinking way too fast right now.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

re-editing existing blogs, I meant to say.....sorry....writing too fast and not thinking.

(Deep breath)

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread